cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9700K OC with Z390-E and adaptive voltage.

da_mercury
Level 7
Hello guys, I need some help in finishing and understanding my almost ready 24/7 OC

After doing the basic steps that are mentioned here on the board i was able to run a my 9700k @4,9 GHz (-2 AVX Offset). In detail this means doing the following changes:

AI Overclock - XMPII
Asus MultiCore Enhancement - disabled**
CPU Core Ratio - synced
Ratio - x49
LLC 5
Current Capability 170%
Long Duration Package Power Limit - 4095
Package Power Time Window - 127
Short Duration Package Power Limit - 4095
CVoltage - manual @ 1.300**

With this i was able to pass AVX Prime 8K Tests, aswell as nonAVX 1344K, Cinebench and IntelBurn @ heavy.

So what bothered me was the manual 1.300 Vcore. An adaptive mode would suit my needs more as I expect it to run cooler on idle and drop below my current temp of slightly over 40. When I can achieve this, my Dark Rock Pro 4 will change to the lowest UPM mode and I would benefit also from a more silent cooler. Anyway, the only settings that would allow a stable system are

Adaptive Voltage to 1.359 with a negative offset of 0.049 to have a total max of 1.310 and*LLC6. I ruled this out though, as I would prefer LLC5 for 24/6.

With the same voltage setting but with SVID changed to Best Case and IA DC load lines set to 0.01 on LLC5 instead of 6, the Max Peak VID according to HWINFO will be 1.325, the max 1.314 and under load it will drop to 1.275 (1.215 AVX). Looks good and all my stress tests will pass...
Can somebody explain to me why I can’t just set 1.310 from the beginning with an negative offset of 0.001? *When I do so, VID will be 1.375, max peak Vcore 1.359 and during nonAVX load 1.323.

Would this be a good 24/7 OC? Is CPU Current Capability 170% fine?*

Thanks in advance :)*
24 REPLIES 24

da_mercury
Level 7
So no one has an answer? Or is it so obvious that i should have not asked in the first place? 

da_mercury wrote:
So no one has an answer? Or is it so obvious that i should have not asked in the first place? 😂

Play with your Adaptive Voltage until you get it...it may not ive completely to what you set in Manual...personally I like my Chip to downclock both Frequency and Voltage...so I dont bother wioth OC'ing manually...go straight to Adaptive or Offset Mode keeping all power saving goodies running and start OC'ing....keeping very close track of load vcore.....what is stable at what frequency at what load vcore???? Figure that out and your golden.....the only way to figure it our is to try it...test...scribble some notes...test again...
,,,,and when setting your Adaptive Voltage dont get all hung up on setting an offset....leave it at "0" ...or stock...focus on what you set and what loaded vcore is....

thanks for getting back 🙂 ... well maybe i did not explain it that good in my initial post, but what you suggested is what i actally have posted above.

My target is to run stable with the lowest possible idle Vcore but with enough reserve for cooping with the droop when on load. In addition, i want to avoid harmful peaks.

Those limits i have found out already.

If on nonAVX load and < 1.215 Vcore -> fail
If on AVX load and < 1.270 Vcore -> fail

This is achievable when setting Vcore manual to a value between 1.300 and 1.315. The Problem is, i dont understand my below testing results in adaptive mode.

VCore / Offset = Target Vcode

1,369 / 0,059 = 1.310 ... Max Vcore Peak 1,305 and VID 1,315 ... During Non AVX Load 1,260 -- FAIL !

1,359 / 0,049 = 1.310 ... Max Vcore Peak 1,314 and VID 1,325 ... During Non AVX Load 1,275

1,349 / 0,039 = 1.310 ... Max Vcore Peak 1,323 and VID 1,335 ... During Non AVX Load 1,285

1,339 / 0,029 = 1,310 ... Max Vcore Peak 1,323 and VID 1,345 ... During Non AVX Load 1,296

1,329 / 0,019 = 1,310 ... Max Vcore Peak 1,333 and VID 1,355 ... During Non AVX Load 1,305

1,319 / 0,009 = 1,310 ... Max Vcore Peak 1,341 and VID 1,365 ... During Non AVX Load 1,314

1,311 / 0,001 = 1,310 ... Max Vcore Peak 1,359 and VID 1,375 ... During Non AVX Load 1,323

so you see, those are the results when trying to reduce offset. In Row 2 i get exactly what i was looking for. But with every reduce i get higher (unwanted) voltages ...

Using adaptive voltage I don't bother with offset. I simply set my OC voltage to 1.315. Leave Offset at 0. LLC 6.
I leave MCE on Auto to handle the power parameters.
I leave speedstep and all c states at default and let the chips VID control low end down clocked voltage. There are diminishing returns in heat and power savings trying to make that any lower.

I get 800mhz and .666v at the low end and 5.1Ghz at 1.288v on full load.
I don't care about the droop and leave LLC 6 to prevent drastic overshoot.

For clarification, in theory, if 1.288v wasn't enough vcore at load for stability, I'd simply raise adaptive OC voltage higher. (EG 1.325).
I do not play with LLC or Offset to achieve reported Vcore to be exactly what I set because it doesn't matter.

Bottom line, keep it simple.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Have a good read https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106375-MCE-explanations-and-others

I have red that already as part of my investigations on what is wrong with my understanding. The most important part beeing is:

"[...]Therefore it is totally redundant to disable MCE and then max out power and current limits, since enabling MCE does the exact same thing and no more. Really, just leave MCE at auto if you plan on overclocking, it does you no harm.[...]"

So yes, i have played around with Current Limit settings from 100 to 170, without noticing any changes in my tests. Same on Auto.

mdzcpa wrote:
Using adaptive voltage I don't bother with offset. I simply set my OC voltage to 1.315. Leave Offset at 0. LLC 6.
I leave MCE on Auto to handle the power parameters.
I leave speedstep and all c states at default and let the chips VID control low end down clocked voltage. There are diminishing returns in heat and power savings trying to make that any lower.

I get 800mhz and .666v at the low end and 5.1Ghz at 1.288v on full load.
I don't care about the droop and leave LLC 6 to prevent drastic overshoot.

For clarification, in theory, if 1.288v wasn't enough vcore at load for stability, I'd simply raise adaptive OC voltage higher. (EG 1.325).
I do not play with LLC or Offset to achieve reported Vcore to be exactly what I set because it doesn't matter.

Bottom line, keep it simple.

well i really would like to keep it simple but dont you see the problem i have? If i put in 1.315 as adaptive vcore without any offset, i will get values of under load of > 1.340 and peaks even higher, just check the table i have posted with all the values i have tried. You would think ok then just decrease the value .. so if it put in a lower number, AVX tests will fail as i will drop below 1.20. C states, speedstep etc i also have on default and did not touch them... the only difference with your settings is that i use LLC5 as 6 is too much risk for my 24/7 OC.

da_mercury wrote:

well i really would like to keep it simple but dont you see the problem i have? If i put in 1.315 as adaptive vcore without any offset, i will get values of under load of > 1.340 and peaks even higher, just check the table i have posted with all the values i have tried. You would think ok then just decrease the value .. so if it put in a lower number, AVX tests will fail as i will drop below 1.20. C states, speedstep etc i also have on default and did not touch them... the only difference with your settings is that i use LLC5 as 6 is too much risk for my 24/7 OC.

Change MCE back to Auto
Set your Power Package, Current Capability and Short and Long Term Durations back to Default
Enter 1.315 as your Additional Turbo Voltage
Leave Offset at AUTO

With LLC 5 or 6 you will NOT be overshooting sustained voltage under load. You should see some droop. If you are seeing more than what's been set, you have something else adjusted from Default.

BTW, LLC6 is just fine for 24/7 OC. It will bring you as close to set voltages as possible, but still provides some droop and keeps overshoot to a minimum.

EDIT: Your chart has every line with a value in your Offset. Needs to be AUTO.

EDIT 2: What you are trying to accomplish by tuning every parameter in the UEFI is good when you want to wrestle out every last megahertz of overclock with adaptive voltage as AVX and non-AVX require different transient voltages for maximum stability. But, in my opinion, if you want to sacrifice max overclock by using Adaptive Mode for power and heat savings anyway, then running the default simple approach is much easier. At least its the best way to start. You can then go on to bang away at the all parameters if you want to squeeze out more. I have just found from personal experience that using custom adaptive parameters is not worth the gains. But that's just me.

Just did it ... F5 for reset back to default, only changed to XMP2, sync all cores to 49, LLC5, Adaptive 1.315 Offset Auto.

It’s almost the same like my last row in the test ... (I expected that)

So to be precise ... *

*1,310 / auto = 1,310 ... Max Vcore Peak 1,368 and VID 1,382 ... During Non AVX Load 1,323

da_mercury wrote:
Just did it ... F5 for reset back to default, only changed to XMP2, sync all cores to 49, LLC5, Adaptive 1.315 Offset Auto.

It’s almost the same like my last row in the test ... (I expected that)

So to be precise ... *

*1,310 / auto = 1,310 ... Max Vcore Peak 1,368 and VID 1,382 ... During Non AVX Load 1,323

Then it is likely you have another setting not at Default. Yours would be the first case I've seen on any M11 board that loaded voltage exceeds what is set under Additional Turbo Voltage.

Hold on.

Are you reporting your max peak voltage recorded during transient event (starting a benchmark), or are you reporting sustained voltage under load? Wondering if you are picking up overshoot on moving to load.

Otherwise I have never seen a M11 board overvolt beyond Additional Turbo Voltage the way you are reporting. What program are you using to report voltages?

For example, my VID records a max of 1.325v when running AVX loads with 1.315v set as Additional Turbo Voltage. But sustain loaded voltage droops to 1.288v or so.