Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

Quote Originally Posted by j9murphy View Post
    Is Load Line Calibration (not AC/DC LL) necessary for an adaptive overclock?
    Actually you can leave Load Line Calibration on Auto as well and Adaptive would work just fine. However, LLC is one of the parameters I prefer to control even with basic overclocks where I allow BIOS defaults to do most of the work. LLC, in my experience, can sometimes be leaned on too much, or too little under default. Some aggressive overclocks can make LLC run high under Auto and potential risk higher levels of vcore overshoot on transient load situations. I found on the Hero XI LLC 6 provides a solid predictable vcore with still some minimal droop which is good for the safety of the chip.

Even on simple overclocks I always manually adjust Vcore, SA/IO voltage and LLC. All tend to be higher than needed on defaults and (with a good CPU) can be lowered to save on heat and CPU degradation over time.

Like I said above, however, when some users are pressing to get every last MHZ out of their chip and use adaptive voltage, manually tuning all the UEFI settings per the user guides out there can help. Transient voltage changes can wreak havoc on stability when your pressed up against the wall. Some find setting higher adaptive OC voltage and applying offsets, along with custom AC/DC line and other power parameters, helpful in keeping the voltages from dipping under AVX and non AVX workloads, as well as prevent higher than desired VID parameters. For me, I just prefer to keep it simple, and Asus defaults for most items seem to work well other than toning down some voltage settings I mentioned.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    I leave it at default. I haven't seen any ill consequences of doing so. My maximum VID is very reasonable and sustained vcore under load (with a little droop) is solid enough to hold my chip stable. Switching between AVX and non-AVX work loads doesn't cause any instability. Like I said, I went the simple route.

That said, I may not be squeezing out every last MHZ possible where custom settings would aid me. But if I was going that route I'd be using static voltage and have speed step, speed shift, and all C states disables as well.

Am I missing something leaving ACDC LL on Auto? I've often trusted Asus default settings over the years when going for simple overclocks. Aside from trimming down a few default heavy voltage situations (like Vcore, SA/IO voltage) and custom tuning LLC I leave it all alone.

No, not missing anything. As said, when SVID is set to best case the optimal values are set automatically

New ROGer Array ninezerofive PC Specs
    ninezerofive PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XI Apex
    Processori7-9700K @ 5.2
    Memory (part number)Trident Z Royal 4000 / 2x8GB @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 1070 OC
    Storage #1Corsair MP510 960 GB
    Storage #2Seagate 3TB
    CPU CoolerROG Ryuo 240
    Power SupplyROG THOR 850W
    Keyboard ROG Claymore
    Mouse ROG Pugio

Greetings,

I'll post you mine settings, since we both run 9700K

Step 1:
    First of all either your chip is not the greatest specimen or it’s your bios, make sure your BIOS is set correctly removing all limits, the one by der8auer works like a charm:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Ujni7-fVM&t=1060s

Step 2:
    Take anything you read about 9900K overclock with a grain of salt, they might be similar chips on paper but in overclocking they are completely different. Where you wouldn’t want to push 9900K to anything past 1.3v you can easily do on 9700K, it runs much cooler. I’d say anything up to 1.35 you could do easily without breaking a sweat about your CPU. And leave SVID on auto.

I am running, 5.2 synced at all core @1.325 adaptive, LLC6, avx offset 3.
    Don't be scared of LLC6, actually in my testing, there's a HUGE gap from 5 to 6.
    5 is still mediocre, can't hold voltage and doesn't produce too much heat, but 6 is what you need, barely any voltage loss, almost flat power delivery but it does generate a lot more heat. Check with you cooler if it can handle it. But if I can hold it with 240 AIO, then you Dark Rock should hold it as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3