cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolutely awful memory controller on new i9 9900K!

Nikorasu95
Level 7
Hello, I just upgraded from a i7 8700K to the i9 9900K and I'm very much regretting it. My XMP was stable with the i7. I was able to do (4200MHz) 18,18,18,38 (CL), (tRCD), (tRP), (tRAS) timings perfectly with the i7. Now my system won't make it past POST with the newly inserted i9 even with the stock XMP profile (4133MHz). The boot process always halts and loops at debug code 61 which is "NVRAM Initialization" according to the manual. I'm using the same settings I used with the i7 on the i9 and same hardware. Only thing different is the new CPU.

The rest of my specs are:
MOBO:ASUS Maximus X APEX
RAM: GSKILL 8GBx2 4133MHz (F4-4133C19D-16GTZR)
GPU: ASUS STRIX 1080 Ti
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2.

No matter what I set the VCCIO/VCCSA voltage to it doesn't help. The system still won't successfully pass the POST. Changing the timings to 20,20,20,40 doesn't help either. It's only when I drop the frequency to 4000MHz that the POST passes and I'm able to get into Windows and Stress test.
I just came from the overclock.net forums and some say it's not the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) but the motherboard being outdated because its Z370. Well i'm at a loss because the Z390 board I want "ASUS MAXIMUS XI APEX" doesn't exist here in the USA yet. I had already set up a return to Amazon because I was going to swap and hope for a better i9 with a better IMC. I was hoping to eventually purchase the Gskill Royal RGB (4600MHz) kit, like hell that's going to work if I can't even get (4133MHz) with my current kit. This whole experience is discouraging. I wasted my entire yesterday trying to get my OC the way I want it.
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Nikorasu95 wrote:
I had already set up a return to Amazon because I was going to swap and hope for a better i9 with a better IMC.

This is disgusting and immoral in my opinion.

Well, if the memory kit doesn't do the timings it's advertised, then why not?
Or would you suggest it's a problem with the Apex? I actually doubt it...

Edit: Ok, disregard. It's about the CPU not the RAM... Anyhow, really strange, if you're not doing something wrong. No offense.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
This is disgusting and immoral in my opinion.

WTF? Really? How so??? The item was purchased on Amazon and I'm simply returning it for a replacement.

mdzcpa
Level 12
I think the point is that your CPU is not defective. Anything above 2133Mhz is an overclock and not guaranteed. Hopefully you will be honest and say you want to exchange your CPU because it won't support your overclocking your RAM. They should accept that anyway. Amazon is pretty good about it.

The other side bar to the story is that most folks don't get it that running ram above 4000mhz is a crap shoot anyways. It takes a good ram, a very good IMC on the chip, and a board well tuned to do it. And I might add that the 370 board might not give the optimal chance with a 9900k plugged in. Its surprising how many folks get caught up in the "well my RAM is XMP 4,000,000mhz rated so my rig should run it" mentality. Rated memory is only one of the factors.

Because of the realities I just mentioned, the OP post does come off a tad whiny. But I do understand the disappointment. It just should not have surprised you.

mdzcpa wrote:
I think the point is that your CPU is not defective. Anything above 2133Mhz is an overclock and not guaranteed. Hopefully you will be honest and say you want to exchange your CPU because it won't support your overclocking your RAM. They should accept that anyway. Amazon is pretty good about it.

The other side bar to the story is that most folks don't get it that running ram above 4000mhz is a crap shoot anyways. It takes a good ram, a very good IMC on the chip, and a board well tuned to do it. And I might add that the 370 board might not give the optimal chance with a 9900k plugged in. Its surprising how many folks get caught up in the "well my RAM is XMP 4,000,000mhz rated so my rig should run it" mentality. Rated memory is only one of the factors.

Because of the realities I just mentioned, the OP post does come off a tad whiny. But I do understand the disappointment. It just should not have surprised you.

Well apparently my i7 8700K has a better IMC because I was able to run my 4133MHz DIMMs @ 4200MHz with adjusted timings dropped from 19,19,19,39 to 18,18,18,38. Last night I was able to finally boot in Windows @ 4133MHz with both the VCCSA/VCCIO set to 1.2500 and DRAM set to 1.4500 as suggested by a reddit user. I was able to run ADIA64 for 5hrs with no problems. I then proceeded to turn my PC off and go to bed because it looked stable. The next morning my computer would not pass the POST because it was back to square-one again with being stuck on debug code 61. The computer would loop 5 times untill I was able to get into the BIOS. Now those settings won't get me into Windows at all anymore.. It's like the IMC has gotten worse apparently.

The BIOS version you are using is confused/corrupted or the Windows (digital signature) you are using is confused/corrupted.

Yesterday, I was talking to 8700K. Today, I’m talking to 9900K. Now, I’m talking to 8700K!

Whom, should I talk too? Code 61!

Who are you? I don’t remember!

When you installed the 9900K, did you do it on default BIOS settings? Did you do a fresh installation of Windows after installing the 9900K?

BIOS, Windows, 8700K, and 9900K want to wide in a whaaambulance!

Code 61, something is confused/corrupted!

pndiode wrote:
The BIOS version you are using is confused/corrupted or the Windows (digital signature) you are using is confused/corrupted.

Yesterday, I was talking to 8700K. Today, I’m talking to 9900K. Now, I’m talking to 8700K!

Whom, should I talk too? Code 61!

Who are you? I don’t remember!

When you installed the 9900K, did you do it on default BIOS settings? Did you do a fresh installation of Windows after installing the 9900K?

BIOS, Windows, 8700K, and 9900K want to wide in a whaaambulance!

Code 61, something is confused/corrupted!

Very good points...AND 4133 Mhz RAAM is really pushing it......stick to 3200 - 3600 Mhz.....

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Differences in silicon quality between samples when overclocking is not a valid reason to warrant an RMA. I'd advise anyone in future who advocates this to keep it off the forum
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090