cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange memory recognition problem, solved..

Rob_W_
Level 12
Hey guys, with bios 1503 I had 64gb of ram running ok at its proper specs, then I loaded 1704 and suddenly bios only recognised 32gb also xtu only sees 32gb on channels B1,B2 and D1,D2 . A and C channels not seen but in cpuz if I open 8 instances of spd it shows every module?
I reloaded 1503 and now I still have, according to bios 32gb dram not 64 , hwinfo and cpuz sees 8sticks, bios and xtu sees 4?
I’ve checked all bios settings, I had to enable train memory in ddr timings *to get it to even boot and if I *put on auto it constantly fails to boot,
I’ve tried swapping ram around but still A and C channels not seen by bios..?
Any ideas what else to try?. * *Runs fine only seeing 32gb? But why has it dropped the other channels?:confused:

*Edit,, I got A channel working ‘clip wasn’t fully secure’ but have now tried all sticks in “C1 and C2” and can’t get any ram recognised in that channel , no led lit on mobo for C channel either so I now have 48gb out of the 64gb recognised,
Will give channel C a clean with isoproprynol,,? Might help:o*
7 REPLIES 7

Rob_W_
Level 12
Due to my lack of electronics knowledge:rolleyes: I have checked out and tried everything I can think of and still C Chanel not working, So!
It looks like I shall be dismembering it again and set up on a bench .
Checking specifically cpu area ie; pins and liquid metal ‘for possible runoff’ ( rig has recently been moved) ,*
*I just don’t know of any other reason why it would lose the two slots?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Any chance the move bumped something hard enough to displace CPU block...sometimes uneven pressure on CPU can do this...

Rob_W_
Level 12
I don’t think so Arne but I have completely stripped it down, pins, cpu Tim all good, cleaned all connectors and rebuilt double checking everything, so it’s just down to powering it up and fingers crossed *I get ‘C’ slots back .
Got a few splashes from disconnecting hoses so won’t power it up till tomorrow after checking it in daylight, will probably put a fan on it overnight just to be sure.:o*

Rob_W_
Level 12
By the way splashes were on the psu.
*Well that was mentally exhausting but fault found.
Stripped everything down pins=ok, delid = ok powered up and= cpu code 00 no boot .
Re seated cpu again and still = cpu code 00
Installed new Corsair hx1200i psu = cpucode 00
Tried another R6e mobo = booted ok.
Memory channel not being recognised was due to mobo failing and now it won’t boot at all, looks to me like ‘time to contact asus’ ( I just hate having to do rma *
Such time a nice board)*

Rob W. wrote:
By the way splashes were on the psu.
*Well that was mentally exhausting but fault found.
Stripped everything down pins=ok, delid = ok powered up and= cpu code 00 no boot .
Re seated cpu again and still = cpu code 00
Installed new Corsair hx1200i psu = cpucode 00
Tried another R6e mobo = booted ok.
Memory channel not being recognised was due to mobo failing and now it won’t boot at all, looks to me like ‘time to contact asus’ ( I just hate having to do rma *
Such time a nice board)*

Have you tried BIOS 2? code 00 can also mean the bios chip is corrupted even flash back wont reflash the bad sectors only a bios programmer can.

Rob_W_
Level 12
Live0rDie, yes that was the first thing I tried after scouring the internet sites for any clues, tried both bios 1 and 2 1503 on 1 and 1704 on 2 so I don’t believe it was that, I then plumped for the psu because of *water splashed on it ( knowing from exerience how they hate water lol) new hx1200i and still no go, then tried loaned mobo and all was good.*
I was dreading the thought it might be a dead cpu but ,As I say I think the memory Chanel not working was maybe? The start of it failing.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well if the loaner cured it...then defo something up with the other board...cracked trace?...hope the RMA is simple!