cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer had a meltdown

davemon50
Level 11
I'm just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for me for diagnostics on my computer. Today it had a complete meltdown. 😞 My computer is in my specs, basically RVE10 with Intel i7-6950X and Corsair 3333 Vengeance kit (4x16 single kit). Main drive is Samsung 960 Pro 1TB, W10-64 Pro.

I was not doing anything special, then everything hung up completely, I had to hard reset, and then got into an infinite BIOS boot loop. Had to restore defaults and then it rebooted into Windows. I then booted back into BIOS and tried to load the last BIOS profile I've been using for quite a while (very successfully) and it locked up completely in the BIOS. Again I went through the same process, changed all my settings manually, and finally wound up saving a new BIOS profile, and it booted fine this time. Everything is back to "normal".

My overclocking profiles have worked fantastic from Day 1 with simple XMP. I OC the CPU to 4.0 GHz and the RAM to 3000 MHz. I'm back to that right now as well.

The question is...should I check something in the computer? Diagnose? This was really strange and I had nothing demanding going on except a DX12 game in the background while browsing Windows explorer. Or was this just a bad day, like a Monday at work or something?
Davemon50
4 REPLIES 4

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Weird...

High energy proton from cosmic ray?

Gremlins?

How did you restore defaults...clear CMOS or F5?

davemon50
Level 11
I restored defaults within BIOS within the Exit menu Load Optimized Defaults, so basically yes same as F5.

Gremlins sounds as plausible as anything else right now. Very strange.
Davemon50

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm...I reckon a good power off clear CMOS is the way to go in that situation...might have saved re-doing the profile...cleaner slate than doing it in BIOS

davemon50
Level 11
I shall remember that should it happen again. Everything seems(?) to be working normally now, knocking on wood in several locations. I am wondering now if the combination of multitask windows and a high-power drawing game (DX12 multi-GPU running in background) caused a power glitch and everything went nuts. Seems like I should've just got an unwanted reboot, but who knows.
Davemon50