cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X APEX BIOS update messed with 8700K

mrasstits
Level 7
I updated the BIOS because I am planning on testing out a 9900K in the near future and my 8700K it started running hotter than before. I did a few cinebench runs and the score is almost 1000 points lower. Then I remembered about the Spectre debacle and figured that was the culprit. So I flashback'd to the other BIOS chip which was on factory version (0802), redid my overclock and booted into windows. Neither my temperatures nor my performance went back to the way it was before.
This chip also had an issue where one core was running 8-10 degrees hotter than the rest, but now after this change it's ~20 degrees higher than the others hitting nearly 100 degrees on 100% load until the fans crank up. Can anyone think of a reason that even on stock firmware (which I was on previously) my chip isn't what it was before?
1 REPLY 1

Nikorasu95
Level 7
mrasstits wrote:
I updated the BIOS because I am planning on testing out a 9900K in the near future and my 8700K it started running hotter than before. I did a few cinebench runs and the score is almost 1000 points lower. Then I remembered about the Spectre debacle and figured that was the culprit. So I flashback'd to the other BIOS chip which was on factory version (0802), redid my overclock and booted into windows. Neither my temperatures nor my performance went back to the way it was before.
This chip also had an issue where one core was running 8-10 degrees hotter than the rest, but now after this change it's ~20 degrees higher than the others hitting nearly 100 degrees on 100% load until the fans crank up. Can anyone think of a reason that even on stock firmware (which I was on previously) my chip isn't what it was before?

Problem a spectre/meltdown patched dropped the performance. You can always disable it with "inSpectre" I have it disabled on my system so I can have no performance compromise.