cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Driver Has Stopped Working

Retired
Not applicable
Not even a year ago, I bought a Asus G60vx, and 6 months ago it went black. I thought, thats weird but whatever. When I started it, a message said that display driver stopped working. That thing has a good tire block ever since.
I've talked to asus tech.. They said bring to someone to get fixed.
I've talked to asus "some sort of" support. They said to send it in to them.
"Before they told me that I was not under warrenty."
I talked to asus again , then to find out the above. I was told to bring it back to where I bought it. So, I did.
Best Buy ask me for my phone # to find the receite. I did not give them one when I bought it, because I did not what any follow up phone calls. Little did I know that, all the # and serial numbers does'nt mean shit to no one. So, on fixey.
I ended up bringing it to a computer ownly fix it shop, because I almost lost a window from the impact of a laptop. Not only did I still have the error, documents and pictures would not work, and the camera does'nt even exist as far as the computer is concerned.
1 week later, and everything lost on the computer, and about 200 dollars lighter. I got it back. I did'nt even have it on for 2 minutes and the same damn thing happened.
They mannaged to get back documents and pictures. Anyone could have done that, if you want to lose eveything on your computer.
I've tried updating the video card driver. NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260M.
I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it.
The camera is used by another, that I guess, I can't find. But I do have an unknown device in USB, when I have nothing plugged in.
I am hoping that someone out there in the world could help?
4 REPLIES 4

V2-V3
Level 8
Maddy,

I recommend using the ASUS approved video driver from the support site: http://support.asus.com/download/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
also download the web Camera driver and install, this will fix your missing web cam issue (if its not a hardware related issue)

if you continue to have problems I suggest testing the CPU, Memory, and Video card for defects.
to test the CPU download and run "Orthos" http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/385/Orthos_Stress_Prime_2004.html
to test the RAM download and burn Memtest disk and boot off the disk: http://www.memtest.org/
to test the vide card: download and run "Furmark" http://www.geeks3d.com/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=134

you may need to reinstall the operating system to resolve your issues and I recommend using the recovery partition located on your hard drive, if this is no longer available you can acquire a system restore disk from the ASUS eStore: http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1617

as for your issues with ASUS tech support I must inform you when you purchace your notebook from best buy you are buying it without an ASUS warranty support package this is a deal bestbuy requested from asus as well as other manufacturers.

Retired
Not applicable
I am having the same problems with my G60jx. in my case, my driver stops responding when the GPU temperatures reach ~85C. The strange thing is that when I am on battery power the GPU temperatures do not exceed 60C but as soon as I plug in the ac adapter the GPU temperatures start to rise and within 2 minutes the screen goes black and flickers then I get the message that the driver has stopped responding. Note: the fan throttles for about 3 seconds before the screen turns black.

I have tried reinstalling the operating system and placing cooling pads under the unit but the problem persists. I have also tried everything that V2-V3 listed. So, currently I can only play games on battery life (~2 hours). In one example, once the GPU temperatures reach 80C I would unplug the ac adapter and the GPU temperatures would instantly drop to ~60C. Is something wrong with my ac adapter? Or my GPU fans? Any help with this issue is greatly appreciated.

I have taken my notebook in for a hardware diagnostics and the technician ran 24-hour stress tests. All hardware passed.

vl_shevchuk
Level 7
In battery mode nVidia graphic card is down-clocked (nVidia power miser technology) so why the graphic card temperature in battery mode is not so high as in AC mode.
If your GTS 360M overheats, the first possible reason is dust in cooler vent holes which prevents the hot air to exit laptop. Take off the laptop's main bottom cover, pump the compressed air into exit vent hole in the left side, where hot air exits laptop (or simply blow strongly into vent hole) then gently clean the cpu fan from dust with a brush.

vl.shevchuk wrote:
In battery mode nVidia graphic card is down-clocked (nVidia power miser technology) so why the graphic card temperature in battery mode is not so high as in AC mode.
If your GTS 360M overheats, the first possible reason is dust in cooler vent holes which prevents the hot air to exit laptop. Take off the laptop's main bottom cover, pump the compressed air into exit vent hole in the left side, where hot air exits laptop (or simply blow strongly into vent hole) then gently clean the cpu fan from dust with a brush.

NECROMANCY! Please remember to check the date of the post before responding. Your information is helpful yes, but those who needed it have long passed now.
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
The Crosshair GENE will come! - Show your support HERE!
SYSTEM SPECS