cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX SCAR II GL704GW Adding SSD Storage into HDD Slot?

KhuloodF
Level 9
Hi all,

My GL704GW came with a 512 M.2 SSD, and my HDD slot is currently sitting empty.

I asked ASUS if a 2.5" SATA SSD could be loaded into the HDD slot, but they said no. However, crucial's website and youtube shows me otherwise.

Has anyone actually put in an SSD into the HDD slot for this or similar models?

Just to be clear, I have no intention of getting rid of the stock M.2 512 GB SSD. I just wanted to expand my storage further with a secondary SSD drive (looking at crucial 1TB).

If it is possible- do I have to do anything special during setup w/ BIOS or windows for a second drive? Or should it be good to go since it's not my driving component?

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

KhuloodF
Level 9
KhuloodF wrote:
Hi all,

My GL704GW came with a 512 M.2 SSD, and my HDD slot is currently sitting empty.

I asked ASUS if a 2.5" SATA SSD could be loaded into the HDD slot, but they said no. However, crucial's website and youtube shows me otherwise.

Has anyone actually put in an SSD into the HDD slot for this or similar models?

Just to be clear, I have no intention of getting rid of the stock M.2 512 GB SSD. I just wanted to expand my storage further with a secondary SSD drive (looking at crucial 1TB).

If it is possible- do I have to do anything special during setup w/ BIOS or windows for a second drive? Or should it be good to go since it's not my driving component?

Thanks!

Welp since no one responded I thought I would update. I added a 1 TB Crucial 2.5" SATA SSD into the HDD slot. Works great, no issues at all.

Thank You! I've been planning on doing the same. I've been waiting on someone to answer your question. I just assumed as long as it was sata the connection would be the same.

No problem 🙂

I added a Samsung 860EVO SSD 500GB. Used very well, no problem at all