cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coil whine on Asus Z370-P II

snuk95
Level 7
Hello Everyone,

Can you help me with my coil whine problem? I have a Z370-P II motherboard from Asus and when i move the mouse i have a little coil whine that sounds from the CPU/RAM area. When i stress the processor with p95 or other stress software the buzzing is disappear. If i open Google Chrome and scroll the pages i hear that buzz again. If i switch between the power management from windows on power saving is almost gone, high performance & balance the buzz is appear.

The buzz appear to be only on idle.

What i tried to solve the problem:

- i have changed the PSU and the sound is still there

- i disabled C-State from BIOS and the buzz dissapear complete

- if i change the polling rate from mouse to 125 is almost gone (1000 was default, i have a Logitech G102)

I speak with ASUS and they told me this: "It's just inductor resonance, nothing to worry about. Different combinations of PSU and VRM will cause it."

The PSU is a Seasonic Focus 650W. The sound is not from the PSU. I remove GPU as well and the little sound is still there. I read that the modern motherboards has some features for power manangement and almost all motherboard has coil whine. Is that true? Should i RMA the board?
I don't hear the sound on my headset, i hear it only with my head on the case. I must be worry about this? Thank you for your time!

**** I want to know if this will affect my system and if this is normal. I am not worry about the buzz so much but i am worry if my motherboard will fail. ****

Here is a video to see how is sounds: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rc12gkjn75...et_pc.mp4?dl=0
2 REPLIES 2

Equinox187
Level 7
Coil whine is a natural thing that can happen and it is fairly common on graphic cards, it will not cause any problems or cause failure but sadly once you get it there is not much you can do to stop it, as for RMA i do not think the will accept it for RMA as it is not a fault, as for fixing it or minimising it there was a video where a person turned the pc on its side and found the inductor that was causing the problem and then brushed it carefully with epoxy to coat the copper wire, I have never tried it but in his case it entirely stopped the noise.

Equinox187 wrote:
Coil whine is a natural thing that can happen and it is fairly common on graphic cards, it will not cause any problems or cause failure but sadly once you get it there is not much you can do to stop it, as for RMA i do not think the will accept it for RMA as it is not a fault, as for fixing it or minimising it there was a video where a person turned the pc on its side and found the inductor that was causing the problem and then brushed it carefully with epoxy to coat the copper wire, I have never tried it but in his case it entirely stopped the noise.

Thank you. I don't want to break my motherboard. The buzzing is not a problem for me because i don't hear it. I can only hear it if i am with my head in the case. For me was important to know is harmless.