cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly freezes on idle.

Bastiman
Level 7
Hello,

this forum is my last hope... i was still searching in this forum before. Many others have a similar problem like me. But all that workarounds did not help.
I use ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero with an 9700k cpu. (since 3 weeks)
G.Skill DIMM 32 GB DDR4-3200 Kit
Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB
Corsair RM750X

My exact error description: on Windows idle (browsing...discord), i have very often freezes. It always starts with my Internet is hanging (Onboard LAN). I click on somewhere in the browser and the next page will not open. If I click on the network display in the task, it says: "no Internet access". Shortly afterwards, the freeze begins. My mouse is still working, but i can't click anything. No icon is reacting. CTRL+ALT+DEL don't work too. And is some sound playing in this time, the sound is in a loop. This is for 10-20 seconds and after that, the pc is ok again. Maybe for 2 minutes, or up to 2 hours. On the windows event display, i can't see any errors.

The interesting thing: is a load is active (like a game in the task) it never happens. The same of course at games. It never happens there. The gaming performance is great!

What i did without success:
- a clean windows install, only with driver
- bios update
- disable windows power management
- changed ram
- only used CPU graphics
- unpluged all usb devices, except mouse/keyb

I did many hardwaretests (multiple) ram, cpu, ssd (chkdsk + samsung software) but i never had an error. I think this is normal, because under load, i never had freezes. On bios i tryed so much settings without improvement. Of course i did reset the settings and use default. Ram speed to default.... CPU default...
I use the newest driver from the asus webseite.

The "funny" thing is, my friend buyed the same board + cpu like me. And he had the almost same problem. He tryed all, but nothig did help. But he gived up and changed to a other z390 Board. For a test, he don't reinstall windows... and the problem was gone!

So what can i do? I'm totally helpless. To write here, i have to load my pc with a game in the task.

best regards
Sebastian
31 REPLIES 31

SK8
Level 10
Not sure this will fix it but it sure cant hurt to test windows and this has saved me a few formats over the years as it will replace missing dll files in windows. No open web pages or programs when you do this and make sure you run it as Admin

As well as what does it say in event viewer when this goes down?

NOTE = Run command propt as ADMIN for all command lines reboot PC after each line is run. Start with sfc /scannow if it finds errors then reboot and run it again, The other command lines are if you need them to fix windows.

sfc /scannow

Only for windows 8 & windows 8.1 and win10 below.
Reboot PC after you run each command line and close programs and web pages.

This command line will scan the health of your PC.
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

This command line will restore the health of your PC and you dont lose anything .
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
OR
If restore heath gave you errors then you can always try this command line.
dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

If you ever get Error 0x800F081F with the restore health scan then run this command line.
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

EDIT>>>Also I do know KB4482887 made issues like this in win10 and they did fix it so check your windows updates and remove this if you have it. And update windows :]But first check out what others stated below my post.
Bios 602 and did a bios update doh
passed 8hr test on Karhu RamTest
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
CPU System Agent Voltage 1.29v
Dram timing control 17-18-18-38
Mode1
Dram command rate set to 2N set dram current capability to 130%

davemon50
Level 11
You are using wired LAN? Then have you disabled Wi-Fi?

Do you have the dual band antenna plugged into the back panel?

What are your Intel Lan and ERP settings in BIOS?

Have you installed the latest Wi-Fi and LAN drivers from your downloads internet page?

I assume your memory kit is one of the kits listed in the QVL?
Davemon50

Hey!

Much thanks for our your responses.

@SK8
thanks! nice things...i did not know that. The first test found some problems and repair it. The following two tests did not found a problem.

@Arne Saknussemm
cool, that is a nice thread. i installed original intel drivers now

@davemon50
I don't have onboard wifi. And i don't use wifi at all. And yes, my ram memory is isted on the QVL.
LAN drivers are now from intel original.
With your bios questions, i'm not sure, what you exactly mean. My lan settings are "active" 😄
There i found a option called: "intel pxe option rom". this is active too.
And ERP settings i found only a option called: "ERP ready" this is disabled.

ok friends, much thanks for our help to now. Now i have to observe my system.

SK8
Level 10
Cool happy I was some help for you. Edit ..... just make sure programs like Steam and Origin are closed and webpages as well as they can give false errors. As well as make sure to reboot after each test. I tend to run the scan after each time I do a format and drivers for MB are done and windows updates 99% of the time it will find a issue after windows is set up with MB drivers and windows updates lol. But it can save you from formats best tool they ever put in windows in my mind. I get people to do this first when helping them fix game issues. And I run it once a week on all my PCs as it seems to keep my rigs more happy :]
Bios 602 and did a bios update doh
passed 8hr test on Karhu RamTest
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
CPU System Agent Voltage 1.29v
Dram timing control 17-18-18-38
Mode1
Dram command rate set to 2N set dram current capability to 130%

SK8 wrote:
Cool happy I was some help for you. Edit ..... just make sure programs like Steam and Origin are closed and webpages as well as they can give false errors. As well as make sure to reboot after each test. I tend to run the scan after each time I do a format and drivers for MB are done and windows updates 99% of the time it will find a issue after windows is set up with MB drivers and windows updates lol. But it can save you from formats best tool they ever put in windows in my mind. I get people to do this first when helping them fix game issues. And I run it once a week on all my PCs as it seems to keep my rigs more happy :]

Yes i did reboots after every command. You explaned it very well, on your first post. And thanks, i will remember that. I was never a friend of external "repair tools". I changed my LAN driver from asus to the original intel drivers. Since two days, i had no freeze. That is surprising long! I hope so much, that now is all good. That issue killes me since three weeks.
If not, i will come back and cry. 🙂

@howxcore
If the freeze come back, i will test it. thanks! 🙂

howxcore
Level 10
Bastiman wrote:
Hello,

this forum is my last hope... i was still searching in this forum before. Many others have a similar problem like me. But all that workarounds did not help.
I use ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero with an 9700k cpu. (since 3 weeks)
G.Skill DIMM 32 GB DDR4-3200 Kit
Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB
Corsair RM750X

My exact error description: on Windows idle (browsing...discord), i have very often freezes. It always starts with my Internet is hanging (Onboard LAN). I click on somewhere in the browser and the next page will not open. If I click on the network display in the task, it says: "no Internet access". Shortly afterwards, the freeze begins. My mouse is still working, but i can't click anything. No icon is reacting. CTRL+ALT+DEL don't work too. And is some sound playing in this time, the sound is in a loop. This is for 10-20 seconds and after that, the pc is ok again. Maybe for 2 minutes, or up to 2 hours. On the windows event display, i can't see any errors.

The interesting thing: is a load is active (like a game in the task) it never happens. The same of course at games. It never happens there. The gaming performance is great!

What i did without success:
- a clean windows install, only with driver
- bios update
- disable windows power management
- changed ram
- only used CPU graphics
- unpluged all usb devices, except mouse/keyb

I did many hardwaretests (multiple) ram, cpu, ssd (chkdsk + samsung software) but i never had an error. I think this is normal, because under load, i never had freezes. On bios i tryed so much settings without improvement. Of course i did reset the settings and use default. Ram speed to default.... CPU default...
I use the newest driver from the asus webseite.

The "funny" thing is, my friend buyed the same board + cpu like me. And he had the almost same problem. He tryed all, but nothig did help. But he gived up and changed to a other z390 Board. For a test, he don't reinstall windows... and the problem was gone!

So what can i do? I'm totally helpless. To write here, i have to load my pc with a game in the task.

best regards
Sebastian

set "thermal monitor" to off in bios, try that.

I'm not sure, but i believe, youre right.... i have (had maybe) the same issue. Since 2 days (suspiciously long) i had no freeze. Could be so cool, if that was the issue. That problem killed me 3 weeks. I don't really think, that is a 32bit driver, but something must be wrong.

Btw: Could be nice, if a asus employees read this..to check that lan driver file.

Telstar
Level 9
Bastiman wrote:
Many others have a similar problem like me

Just one thing: I don't believe they are so many and it doesn't seem related to Asus mainboards in particular.