Hybrid View

ROG Member Array

Post GX701 I can't find the GPU switch to turn off G-Sync

It's probably right in front of my face but I cant find the GPU switch that was advertised to turn off G-Sync for better battery life. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Turn off g-sync for better battery life sounds like nonsense, but if you want to turn it off, go to nvidia control panel and disable the checkbox "Enable G=Sync".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g-sync.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	79615

ROG Member Array

Hmmm when I open the control panel I can only get to the 3D settings everything else doesn't show up. I'm guessing this is a thing with laptops, never had the other settings not show up before. And really you don't think it would save power? They have a sizable chunk on their product description about this "GPU switch" that shuts off G-Sync and saves a good deal of power. LTT talked about it too in their review.
    Last edited by Soaring Spoon; 03-21-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Sure switching off g-sync saves power. Switching off the display saves a lot of power, too. Why buy g-sync componentes when you want to switch it off? It like buy a sports car and remove the spoiler to save fuel. The g-sync function is what makes displays expensive in first place.

It looks like you have the latest nvidia drivers installed and gx701 display should support g-sync. I do not have a GX701 myself, but I bet the switch g-sync/optimus is in the asus gaming center. If you switch to optimus g-sync will be off.

ROG Member Array

So I was right lol it was in front of my face this whole time. Thanks so much for your help as it turns out it seems like this laptop is actually shipped with G-Sync turned off. Once I hit that switch the Nvidia control panel turned back to normal and now I have a 144hz screen with G-Sync . Yeah the only reason I was looking to turn it off is if I just want to watch youtube or browse the web on battery G-Sync halves the battery time so that's the only time I find it's nice to shut it off. Super glad I found it.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Soaring Spoon View Post
    So I was right lol it was in front of my face this whole time. Thanks so much for your help as it turns out it seems like this laptop is actually shipped with G-Sync turned off. Once I hit that switch the Nvidia control panel turned back to normal and now I have a 144hz screen with G-Sync . Yeah the only reason I was looking to turn it off is if I just want to watch youtube or browse the web on battery G-Sync halves the battery time so that's the only time I find it's nice to shut it off. Super glad I found it.
    Where did you find this switch? I have the same problem where nvidia only shows the 3D settings

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Wantedx9 View Post
    Where did you find this switch? I have the same problem where nvidia only shows the 3D settings
    Its in armory crate scroll down or use the tabs at the bottom of the window

Name:	ROG1.jpg 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	80822

Name:	ROG2.jpg 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	80823

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondTH View Post
    Its in armory crate scroll down or use the tabs at the bottom of the window

Name:	ROG1.jpg 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	80822

Name:	ROG2.jpg 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	80823

Yeah mine doesnt have that lol, also it does not allow me to click on the 3ms panal option, even while in turbo mode.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Capture.jpg  

ROG Enthusiast Array

Switching to Optimus means switching to the integrated graphics instead of the discrete GPU which is really what saves power. The thing is, G-Sync only works with the discrete GPU enabled.

Well, that makes sense.
    Glad I could help.