cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX701 I can't find the GPU switch to turn off G-Sync

Soaring_Spoon
Level 7
It's probably right in front of my face but I cant find the GPU switch that was advertised to turn off G-Sync for better battery life. Any help would be appreciated thanks 🙂
11 REPLIES 11

FixGX501G
Level 7
Turn off g-sync for better battery life sounds like nonsense, but if you want to turn it off, go to nvidia control panel and disable the checkbox "Enable G=Sync".

Hmmm when I open the control panel I can only get to the 3D settings everything else doesn't show up. I'm guessing this is a thing with laptops, never had the other settings not show up before. And really you don't think it would save power? They have a sizable chunk on their product description about this "GPU switch" that shuts off G-Sync and saves a good deal of power. LTT talked about it too in their review.

FixGX501G
Level 7
Sure switching off g-sync saves power. Switching off the display saves a lot of power, too. 😉 Why buy g-sync componentes when you want to switch it off? It like buy a sports car and remove the spoiler to save fuel. The g-sync function is what makes displays expensive in first place.

It looks like you have the latest nvidia drivers installed and gx701 display should support g-sync. I do not have a GX701 myself, but I bet the switch g-sync/optimus is in the asus gaming center. If you switch to optimus g-sync will be off.

So I was right lol it was in front of my face this whole time. Thanks so much for your help as it turns out it seems like this laptop is actually shipped with G-Sync turned off. Once I hit that switch the Nvidia control panel turned back to normal and now I have a 144hz screen with G-Sync :). Yeah the only reason I was looking to turn it off is if I just want to watch youtube or browse the web on battery G-Sync halves the battery time so that's the only time I find it's nice to shut it off. Super glad I found it.

Soaring Spoon wrote:
So I was right lol it was in front of my face this whole time. Thanks so much for your help as it turns out it seems like this laptop is actually shipped with G-Sync turned off. Once I hit that switch the Nvidia control panel turned back to normal and now I have a 144hz screen with G-Sync :). Yeah the only reason I was looking to turn it off is if I just want to watch youtube or browse the web on battery G-Sync halves the battery time so that's the only time I find it's nice to shut it off. Super glad I found it.

Where did you find this switch? I have the same problem where nvidia only shows the 3D settings

Wantedx9 wrote:
Where did you find this switch? I have the same problem where nvidia only shows the 3D settings

Its in armory crate scroll down or use the tabs at the bottom of the window

RaymondTH wrote:
Its in armory crate scroll down or use the tabs at the bottom of the window

Yeah mine doesnt have that lol, also it does not allow me to click on the 3ms panal option, even while in turbo mode.

I'm experiencing the same issue along with the num pad not lighting up(it works but now idea what number I'm hitting) and no lighting on the center ROG logo. The other 2 i can deal with the GPU not appearing to work i cannot.

jologskyblues
Level 8
Switching to Optimus means switching to the integrated graphics instead of the discrete GPU which is really what saves power. The thing is, G-Sync only works with the discrete GPU enabled.