cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assus z390

newmail25
Level 7
With the z 390 board how do i go to pure UEFI from legacy so I can enable secure boot.?
7 REPLIES 7

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
newmail25 wrote:
With the z 390 board how do i go to pure UEFI from legacy so I can enable secure boot.?

in order to use UEFI. need to go to bios. (read manual) on boot tab in the bios. On the last bios CSM is disable (as to be disable so uefi works I try on last bios and was the only way) that is the key for UEFI. On the same tab. and there is tap for the uefi that i do not remember that one. (you will see another os. IS you change that will say UEFI only. What will have a nice boot screen with the asus logo.

There is a catch. You need to clean install.

By default in the bios secure boot is enable. if you use the media tool from windows to make the windows install, make sure the USB is format in NTFS.

The rest just make the boot drive in windows media tool.

Once the windows is install you go back to bios. BOOT tab, and there is a section there secure boot. there you need to select LOAD secure boot key. and that is it. Windows will be on UEFI and SECURE BOOT.

If you use a NVME for the boot drive that is Samsung. MAKE SURE as soon the windows is install, load the driver 3.1 and reboot. and contine with with windows update and store update. if you install HWINFO64 (do not check mark the seleccion just go in) and yuou will see green secure boot and uefi.

If you use another brand you do not need drivers. The intel will do.

All of these is on the manual. and the rest are some stuff that i learn on the way.

Also remember NOT ALL applications works with pure UEFI. so expect some issues here and there. you will get used to it.

Cheers
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Itzycharles wrote:
in order to use UEFI. need to go to bios. (read manual) on boot tab in the bios. On the last bios CSM is disable (as to be disable so uefi works I try on last bios and was the only way) that is the key for UEFI. On the same tab. and there is tap for the uefi that i do not remember that one. (you will see another os. IS you change that will say UEFI only. What will have a nice boot screen with the asus logo.

There is a catch. You need to clean install.

By default in the bios secure boot is enable. if you use the media tool from windows to make the windows install, make sure the USB is format in NTFS.

The rest just make the boot drive in windows media tool.

Once the windows is install you go back to bios. BOOT tab, and there is a section there secure boot. there you need to select LOAD secure boot key. and that is it. Windows will be on UEFI and SECURE BOOT.

If you use a NVME for the boot drive that is Samsung. MAKE SURE as soon the windows is install, load the driver 3.1 and reboot. and contine with with windows update and store update. if you install HWINFO64 (do not check mark the seleccion just go in) and yuou will see green secure boot and uefi.

If you use another brand you do not need drivers. The intel will do.

All of these is on the manual. and the rest are some stuff that i learn on the way.

Also remember NOT ALL applications works with pure UEFI. so expect some issues here and there. you will get used to it.

Cheers

>>I am replying with quote because I cannot find reply.
I noticed a "default" in the settings and wonder if that would be OK to use instead of clean install as it wold return to factory.
I read the manual and there wee no instructions about this.
I will study your post and thank you so much - you are the only one to reply to me.
Peter
PS after signing in I saw reply - sorry

newmail25 wrote:
>>I am replying with quote because I cannot find reply.
I noticed a "default" in the settings and wonder if that would be OK to use instead of clean install as it wold return to factory.
I read the manual and there wee no instructions about this.
I will study your post and thank you so much - you are the only one to reply to me.
Peter
PS after signing in I saw reply - sorry

That is ok.

If the OS was install on legacy, changeing the bios will have issues, as i rad sometonere. Hit me if you need any, any Q answer. Sorry that I see these so late. I have some issues with my ISP.

The best course of action is to format. Make SURE, you download the windows from the MS and format the USB to NTFS. Let me make some screen shots tomorrow morning... wait. is tomorrow., welll on the morning.

We find out some issues trying to use if legacy prepared OS to be use on UEFI environment and some errors, aside of a faulty nvme. There are some trade off going to full UEFI but I am using 1903(19h1) and is ok. is prof to be a good OS to be deployed in 3weeks
Learn, Play Enjoy!

I took my computer to the Boulder and he said I am not in Legacy and it was installed properly it is you UEFI.
Being a novice I guess I made a mistake thank you for your response I look forward to getting your help in the future Peter**

Thank you to the gentleman who told me how to unsubscribe if I did not want to participate..
Peter

I thik I need to go into settings when I have a stick that is not configured UEFI otherwise I just click F8 on the logo and the stick will boot. Please correct if wrong.

I think I found a way to boot off a stick whether UEFI compatible or not. Insert the stick, reboot and when logo appears click F8 then see the hard drive and my stick. Click the stick and it will boot. After enable secure boot. Please correct.