cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

970 PRO SSD Super hot on a Asus Rog Hero XI MB

Darlok9
Level 7
Hey guys I just put together an I9-9900k on an Asus Rog Hero XI Wi-Fi MB. I have a Noctua dual fan CPU Cooler and a Fractal Define R6 case that's being cooled with 3 Noctua 140mm Case fans. I installed a M2 970 Samsung Pro in the main socket I also installed the 970 m2 EVO SSD in the secondary m2 socket. Both with backplates. For some reason the main socket 970 PRO is idling at around 57" whereas the Evo which sits slightly lower is only 42'. Why does the 970 SSD get so hot and how can i reduce the temps on it? My CPU runs at 4.7 at sub 40' Temps... Is this normal for the 970's PRO To run so Hot? I ran a benchmark and the SSD 970 PRO was hitting sub 60's.. almost 70 degrees!

Please help
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
According to Samsung the operating temp is up to 70c. If it gets higher than that then I would definitely put a heat sink on it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Vlada011
Level 10
Some NVMe run up to 90C.
I will install EK heatsink on him...

jologskyblues
Level 8
My NVMe SSDs run at 50-60C from the heat radiated by the GPU and CPU running fairly heavy loads and between 45-50C when the system is completely idle.

I checked the manufacturer's spec sheet and there's nothing to worry about since the drives are running well within spec.

Wait, so you can use the SSD as the boot drive? I tried to use the exact same SSD on the exact same motherboard as boot drive and it didn't work.