cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL704GW Strix Scar II: 1x16 GB ram vs 2x16 GB RAM

KhuloodF
Level 9
Hey all,

I was wondering if someone with this model of laptop could assist me in understanding if adding a second 16gb ram stick really would make a large impact in gaming performance once it unlocks the dual channel mode.

I'm currently running the stock 16gb stick and have noticed even with my most intensive games, I never go above 10gb ram...so adding another 16 would be purely just to utilize the dual channel support.

(FYI Not interested in 2x8 GB ram sticks, if I'm paying that much I'd rather just upgrade to 32)

With my current single stick I average well above 80+ FPS in BF5 and 100+ in Overwatch. 70+ in other, smaller games.

Is there any mega boost I would experience...or should I just hold off until later?

If you did upgrade, and see significant performance changes, where did you get your stick?

Does adding another stick cause CPU/GPU temps to run hotter? I've just barely stabilized the thermals with my current settings, I would hate to screw it up with another stick.

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

mp271901
Level 7
KhuloodF wrote:
Hey all,

I was wondering if someone with this model of laptop could assist me in understanding if adding a second 16gb ram stick really would make a large impact in gaming performance once it unlocks the dual channel mode.

I'm currently running the stock 16gb stick and have noticed even with my most intensive games, I never go above 10gb ram...so adding another 16 would be purely just to utilize the dual channel support.

(FYI Not interested in 2x8 GB ram sticks, if I'm paying that much I'd rather just upgrade to 32)

With my current single stick I average well above 80+ FPS in BF5 and 100+ in Overwatch. 70+ in other, smaller games.

Is there any mega boost I would experience...or should I just hold off until later?

If you did upgrade, and see significant performance changes, where did you get your stick?

Does adding another stick cause CPU/GPU temps to run hotter? I've just barely stabilized the thermals with my current settings, I would hate to screw it up with another stick.

Thanks!

hey,

you might wanna take a look at the video mentioned below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_aPaj5QkmM&t=206s

Regards

Thanks for the video- I did watch it and it was helpful.

The questions still stand though, especially since performance varies from laptop to laptop depending on the specs inside.

I guess I'm just wondering if it's really worth buying a $110 product if it just means an extra 5-10 FPS.

KhuloodF wrote:
Thanks for the video- I did watch it and it was helpful.

The questions still stand though, especially since performance varies from laptop to laptop depending on the specs inside.

I guess I'm just wondering if it's really worth buying a $110 product if it just means an extra 5-10 FPS.

I think it is not only depending on the system itsself. The game is also a crucial factor. Espacially on CPU heavy games (BF V) it can make a difference. But you already have 16gb of RAM so i think upgrading it to 32gb with another stick might be an overkill and you wont see that much of a difference.
I have 8 gb single channel and i will buy another stick soon. Futhermore my rig is mid-class (i7-8750H, GTX 1060 6gb VRAM) so it will boost it quite well, i think.
But I think if you already have an i9-9900K and a RTX 2080TI for example, another 16gb RAM wont make that much of a difference, as the CPU and GPU themselves could hit FPS beyond 144 anyway.

TX2000
Level 8
i dont have the same model as you but they are practically the same GL504GW
i just got my corsair 16gb dim here are the 3dmark results

16gb single channel

32gb dual channel

check the following link ; apart from display size of 15inch all specs are same
they did benchmarks with most recent games with single and dual stick of ram and i see and average boost of about 15-20 fps in all games
https://www.ultrabookreview.com/25079-asus-gl504gw-scar-review/

I have a GL704GW, adding a 2nd 16GB RAM has a huge increase for my games (Farcry5, Tomb Raider)

GL704GW
Just installed 2x 16Gb today
New matched sticks of HyperX Impact 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2666 RAM (Notebook Memory) CL15 XMP SODIMM (260-Pin) HX426S15IB2K2/32

For BFV i have gone from 80-100FPS to a whopping 130-144 (Max) FPS

Good luck
Skippy66

Ramahi89
Level 7
Just a quick important question and for you guys there with same model as mine (GL504GW) With single channel stick (16x1). I Just recently found out using the app (CPU-Z) that my brand of the stick i have is SK Hynix a brand i have never heard of.

Anyways please anyone with the same laptop specs if you can reply with the brand that came with yours?

I have watched multiple videos on YouTube mentioning that they have the laptop arriving with a (SAMSUNG Single stick.

I only ask this to take my suspicions away.

Thanks

Ramahi89 wrote:
Just a quick important question and for you guys there with same model as mine (GL504GW) With single channel stick (16x1). I Just recently found out using the app (CPU-Z) that my brand of the stick i have is SK Hynix a brand i have never heard of.

Anyways please anyone with the same laptop specs if you can reply with the brand that came with yours?

I have watched multiple videos on YouTube mentioning that they have the laptop arriving with a (SAMSUNG Single stick.

I only ask this to take my suspicions away.

Thanks

Definitely Samsung in mine, see attached pic.

Cheers
Skippy66