cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703GM Utilizing car charging?

New_to_desktops
Level 7
I have a GL703GM. Im a truck driver and im trying to find a way of keeping my laptop charged in my truck. Previously I had inverters that were hooked to the battery. I switched company’s and they have no such inverter. I purchased a 400W inverter, but I’m not able to hook to the battery. This inverter is not able to charge the laptop when the laptop is running. I’m assuming the problem is the power output from the 12V DC connection(cigarette lighter). It is able to charge the laptop in sleep. Any advice on keeping my laptop charged would be great.*
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
If you only have a single 12v outlet, I'm not sure there's much you can do. If you try to pull too much current through those wires they will overheat and melt.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

davemon50
Level 11
Go higher? Not sure if this will plug in.

600W inverter
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Go higher? Not sure if this will plug in.

600W inverter

It's probably not a lack of capacity in the inverter unless it's not really 400w. In a modern vehicle an accessory plug is going to be fused at 15A, maybe 20A. 15A*12V=180W and 20A*12V=240W. So 400W is enough to max a single outlet. It might actually be a safety feature so that if you use the accessory outlet adapter it limits its draw.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I have noticed that one of the outlets actually will provide enough power to keep it charging while it’s running, but not if I’m gaming. I’m assuming the limit is the actual outlet, not the inverter. I see on the power adapter for the laptop that it says:
”input 100-240V~50-60Hz 2.4A”
“output 19.5V—-9.23A”
I’m not sure what this would mean in terms of wattage, or how that compares to the power output of the outlet. From everything I can find it looks like the power adapter for the laptop can be 180W or 220W? Is it possible that with a lower wattage charger I could get it to charge(albeit possibly too slow to actually charge the battery) without overloading the inverter? This would be a way to get more time gaming each full charge. Currently the Inverter will go on and off repeatedly as if it’s being overloaded or not getting enough charge if I’m gaming.

xeromist
A power supply will only draw what is needed for the demand. Deliberately under-sizing it will not reduce demand. The machine will just pull more than the supply can handle and the supply will die, possibly dangerously.

Without access to wiring modifications the best thing you can do is shut down the laptop and let it charge. Unplug it before starting up. The limits you are experiencing are a warning. If you ignore it you could damage something.

I would look at the vehicle's fuse panel to see what size of fuse is used for the accessory socket. Note that it might be shared with other accessories like a stereo which would leave less surplus. Also you want to check the manual for the inverter. See if it is 400W continuous or peak. It might have a lower continuous output below what you need.

If you can confirm that your accessory plug is fused at 20A then perhaps a different inverter *may* be able to work but it depends on efficiencies. Inverters are not 100% efficient so even if you have a 15A socket you will not be able to invert to AC, convert back to DC with the power supply, and expect to still have 180W of usable DC power.

davemon50
Level 11
When you said you weren't able to hook to the battery, I interpreted your statement as the 400W supply did not have the connectors. The one I linked to does have connectors for the battery, if you use it in that fashion like before then it should work fine. No need to worry about wire sizing or overheating.

....or are you saying that they will not let you connect to the battery. That's different.
Davemon50