cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703VM freezes on cold start (often)

shamandgg
Level 9
Hi,

I am not sure if this is related to latest Windows 10 updates or not.
Upon cold-start, just after I press the power button, I see the ASUS ROG logo (that replaces Windows 10 logo), and under it I should see the loading circle animation of Windows 10, however I do not see any. There is no progress loading OS. I must press and hold power to power off and try again. Usually on second or sometimes third try, I see the animated circle and OS loads to log-in screen.

This is new. I have been experiencing this in last few days.

Anyone has any ideas what is going on? Is my hardware failing?
6 REPLIES 6

GeoBRB
Level 10
shamandgg wrote:
Hi,

I am not sure if this is related to latest Windows 10 updates or not.
Upon cold-start, just after I press the power button, I see the ASUS ROG logo (that replaces Windows 10 logo), and under it I should see the loading circle animation of Windows 10, however I do not see any. There is no progress loading OS. I must press and hold power to power off and try again. Usually on second or sometimes third try, I see the animated circle and OS loads to log-in screen.

This is new. I have been experiencing this in last few days.

Anyone has any ideas what is going on? Is my hardware failing?

I get the freeze too in my GL703GM, after a unannounced restart. The laptop not booting anymore, must be restarted with CTRL ALT DEL.
I use some registry cleaners and that cause my issue. Now I have the CCleaner only and all is fine.
Make backup first with Acronis_Bootable_WinPE_2019_v14690.
I always make backup/restore with Acronis after a fresh installation of Windows.
Now I don't have issue anymore.

shamandgg
Level 9
The issue keeps annoying me... Has anyone else experienced this on GL703 so far or similar laptop?

shamandgg wrote:
The issue keeps annoying me... Has anyone else experienced this on GL703 so far or similar laptop?

any usb devices plugged (not countin mouse / kb) sometimes usb sticks / usb hdd / usb keyboard with hub can cause win10 loading to freeze.

Same thing happening with my GL503VM
Loading dots and HDD light wont turn on (SOMETIMES). I need to power off and on it again for about 2-4 times for it to boot. fix please

arkashia wrote:
Same thing happening with my GL503VM
Loading dots and HDD light wont turn on (SOMETIMES). I need to power off and on it again for about 2-4 times for it to boot. fix please

Precisely as you have described, mate. Help me to keep this thread alive until ASUS staff comes to help troubleshoot this. This is really worrying end-user experience with ASUS ROG hardware. I hope there is a solution to this. If that was a 2 year old car, would expect recall to service and free repair.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
I had the same issue with a totally different laptop in the past. It was related to secure boot.