cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Memory issues on Formula XI

FornaxLacerta
Level 7
So ever since I put my new build together I've had occasional app crashes and OS crashes. My memory is:

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4133 (PC4 33000) Desktop Memory Model F4-4133C19D-16GTZR

I applied XMP and I've had it runing the same in my old rig for a year or so with no issues. Today I downloaded MemTest and saw errors immediately so pulled out 3 of the 4 DIMMs, leaving one DIMM in slot A2... tested again and no errors at all (I let 4 instances run for about 30 minutes with 2000MB each). I swapped out each of the DIMMs and didn't see any errors at all on any DIMMs. My next thought was to try putting a DIMM in slot B2 and testing. Sure enough, MemTest started throwing errors. Does this mean that channel B is defective in some way? Anything else I can test/try here? Any advice is appreciated.

Tks!
13 REPLIES 13

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

Try separating the kits by serial number and try single kits...bearing in mind that 4133 might require additional voltage and timing tweaks to run stable anyway

FornaxLacerta
Level 7
Thanks for the reply Arne! I've tried just using 2 DIMMs front single kit. I've also turned off XMP and tried running at stock. No matter what I do I get errors if I have any DIMMs in DIMM_B1 or DIMM_B2. Also have trouble even booting if I have anything in B slots.

Running with A2/B2 gets MemTest errors.
Running with A1/A2/B1/B2 gets MemTest errors.
Running just B1 won't even post.
Running just B2 gets MemTest errors.
Running just A2 there are no MemTest errors.
Running A1/A2 there are no MemTest errors.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK..so that does sound like a possible problem with the board.
But maybe CPU IMC or may be CPU is misaligned in socket....

Is the CPU a known good one...i.e. Ran that memory on another board?
Have you tried reseating CPU..taking care to evenly tighten cooler? that kind of thing...

FornaxLacerta
Level 7
Well, new bios 0903 dropped last night. Loaded it up this morning, re-added all 4 DIMMS, set XMP1, booted up with no issues. MemTest has been running without errors for 2 hours! So glad this appears to have been a BIOS issue and not a hardware issue with the board!

i have a gskill kit f4-3200c16d cl16 16 gigs, ran xmp i/2 with no issues at all to get into windows.. then i tried to oc the frequency to 3466 with same cl,,, restarted the system and took long enough to post, about 15-20 secs (q code shows 4f,7f then mix code then back to 4f,7f then mix code then successfully post and get to windows).. ran hci memtest and no errors found and no issues at all while gaming, etc.. is it safe to run this settings for daily? or should i switch back to its original xmp profile? thanks....

gamersnom wrote:
i have a gskill kit f4-3200c16d cl16 16 gigs, ran xmp i/2 with no issues at all to get into windows.. then i tried to oc the frequency to 3466 with same cl,,, restarted the system and took long enough to post, about 15-20 secs (q code shows 4f,7f then mix code then back to 4f,7f then mix code then successfully post and get to windows).. ran hci memtest and no errors found and no issues at all while gaming, etc.. is it safe to run this settings for daily? or should i switch back to its original xmp profile? thanks....

Sounds like the memory had to retrain once or twice. Should be fine.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Sounds like the memory had to retrain once or twice. Should be fine.

Although it don't have double post issues while cold and normal boot (kinda weird, default xmp did double post at cold start) it's annoying to have such longer time to load up.... Thinking about enabling MRC fast boot, is it okay to bypass the memory training? Or maybe not recommended? Thanks

gamersnom wrote:
Although it don't have double post issues while cold and normal boot (kinda weird, default xmp did double post at cold start) it's annoying to have such longer time to load up.... Thinking about enabling MRC fast boot, is it okay to bypass the memory training? Or maybe not recommended? Thanks

If the system is stable there shouldn't be an issue enabling it.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

jab383
Level 13
A clock increase that large without increasing CL is quite a good overclock. The longer training time shows how close that profile is to the edge of what the components can do. HCI memtest shows that it's stable and therefore safe for 24/7 use. If you try for any higher clock, expect to need higher DRAM voltage, higher CL and probably several other settings -- in other words a full manual tuning job.