cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threadripper OC and Direct X game failures

EnderValentine
Level 7
Hello,

Lets get this out of the way, I know I'd be better off for gaming with 9900k. I know Threadripper isn't the best choice for a gaming rig. I've been building AMD since the first 64-bit and I'm stubborn and not that bright.

I've been having this problem for over a year now attempting over-clocking for Threadripper. First attempt:

- TR 1950X
- enermax liqtech tr4
- ASUS Zenith Extreme
- Corsair Vengence LPX 3600mhz CL16
- Zotac GTX 1080

The overclocking on all cores seemed stable for 4.0ghz. Cinebench was stable and would give me 3400-3600. However, enabling DOCP for 3600mhz was incredibly unstable. No surprise there, I've read forums and I've never seen anyone stable at 3600mhz. But I tried every speed above 2133mhz and up and every time, I'm running Final Fantasy 14 or Monster Hunter World. Final Fantasy crashes with Fatal Direct X Error. Monster hunter artifacts and becomes immediately un-stable. All games failing showing Direct X crash.

So, flash forward:

- TR 2950X
- ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha
- Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200mhz CL14
- ASUS Strix RTX 2080ti OC
- ASUS Ryujin 360

Overclocking 4.2Ghz, Cinebench is running stable but I'm using the R20 scoring 6970-7564. The behavior is the same, every-time enabling DOCP 3200mhz. Final Fantasy 14 "Fatal Direct X Error". Anthem gives a similar Direct X based error. Some times stalls and the game hangs up the system and requires reboot. I think that I've tracked it down to memory or the DOCP profile. Maybe better off Intel, maybe better off G.Skill Trident Z.

I've tried upping the SoC voltage to 1.15 and 1.2. Is there anything I'm missing? Anyone have any information or forums that I've missed for the ZE Alpha?

Thank you
4 REPLIES 4

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have you tried a clean OS install

Are those single, quad channel kits of RAM?

Are they on the QVL?

Oh, by the way, you haven't been to the right forums 😉 https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99129-Goodbye-Intel-hello-AMD/page10#post707629

the 1950X using ASUS Zenith Extreme kit was on the QVL:
CMK32GX4M4B3600C18R

The 2950X on the ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha:
CMT32GX4M4C3200C14

The Dominator RGB's were too new and weren't on the list. However, this guy doesn't seem to give $#@! anymore and is just crashing on optimized defaults now. Going to have to start from scratch. However, it looks like the Alpha might be stable on DOCP 3200mhz and this is a different issue.

Thank you very much for the link. Great research materials and I really appreciate it.

P.S. both devices had NVME boot drive. The 2950X Alpha is on RAID0, but I tried to load a Samsung NVME raid driver and now I can no longer boot to it. I can detect it and read/write but no longer boot.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah, 3600 was a big ask on this platform...not many examples of it working...3200 definitely a sweet spot..

Corsair says the 3200 kit is qualified for the platform...so should be good...

I have no RAID experience on this platform, maybe someone else can help there...

macmus
Level 7
check ryzen ram calculator...

i was able to get quad channel with 3400.