cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703GE very hot🔥

gl703ishot
Level 7
Hi guys! My new asus GL703GE (16gb ram,i7 8750h,gtx 1050ti) running VERY hot on 100% load, cpu temps are around 95C on balanced/performance vents mode. Repasted recently with arctic mx-4 and yes it helps, my temps was ~85-90C. But after 3 days the are back at 95C. I also undervolted (just after I bought a laptop) cpu by -0.140V, but ofc temps wasnt affected, because undervolting just making 8750h more stable.

What should I do? Repaste with liquid metal is kinda risky and (as I know) you have to change it after half a year. Cooling pad can be a solution, but I dont like it, because keyboard will be higher 😞
13 REPLIES 13

harshil
Level 7
gl703ishot wrote:
Hi guys! My new asus GL703GE (16gb ram,i7 8750h,gtx 1050ti) running VERY hot on 100% load, cpu temps are around 95C on balanced/performance vents mode. Repasted recently with arctic mx-4 and yes it helps, my temps was ~85-90C. But after 3 days the are back at 95C. I also undervolted (just after I bought a laptop) cpu by -0.140V, but ofc temps wasnt affected, because undervolting just making 8750h more stable.

What should I do? Repaste with liquid metal is kinda risky and (as I know) you have to change it after half a year. Cooling pad can be a solution, but I dont like it, because keyboard will be higher 😞

try to use throttlestop and checkmark speedshift and set it to 64 or 128 and see what happens + u can decrease turbo values in FVIR by 1-2 values across all cores(will decrease your max boost by 100 to 200mhz) but temps will drop to 75C

harshil wrote:
try to use throttlestop and checkmark speedshift and set it to 64 or 128 and see what happens + u can decrease turbo values in FVIR by 1-2 values across all cores(will decrease your max boost by 100 to 200mhz) but temps will drop to 75C

Damn bro it helps a lot, thanks. From 95c to ~87c average on CPU. -10fps but who fking cares lmao

gl703ishot wrote:
Damn bro it helps a lot, thanks. From 95c to ~87c average on CPU. -10fps but who fking cares lmao

Well, that's like buying a Ferrari and putting a brick under the gas pedal.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Well, that's like buying a Ferrari and putting a brick under the gas pedal.

well every CPU is adjusting the Boost clock ingame constantly anyway. So even if you dont decrease you clock by 100-200Mhz you should reach an average boost clock of 3.8 or 3.7 Ghz anyway.

mp271901 wrote:
well every CPU is adjusting the Boost clock ingame constantly anyway. So even if you dont decrease you clock by 100-200Mhz you should reach an average boost clock of 3.8 or 3.7 Ghz anyway.

Mine stays at full boost while gaming, that's how it should be. At idle or light loads it should fluctuate, yes, depending on what power plan you are running (or if you're overriding it with throttlestop). If you change the speedshift value by too much it will prevent the cpu from boosting up. If I play around with the speedshift value so it gets to the point where the clock fluctuates while gaming, temperatures will surely decrease, the same way as the performance, specially in games that are CPU intensive like AC:Origins. Literally like putting a brick under the accelerator pedal.

Higher clocks doesn't always means higher temperatures (unless we're talking about really old cpus). CPU load is what brings up the heat, and that's why you're bringing the temperature down by playing around with the speedshift value. You're effectively throttling the cpu.

Anyways, if the CPU is not hitting TjMax or throttling due to overheating, there's nothing to worry about. You sure can improve thermals to reduce fan noise, but running the cpu at 90C is not gonna hurt it.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
at 90C

Stable 95c after 15min game session, so I'd rather put a brick on my gas pedal :(. I know that maximum allowed temp for 8750h is 100c, but man what about cpu lifetime then. I think it will die after 2-3 years at temps like that.

TimeLion724 wrote:
Are the air vents blocked? cause, if it is the hot air, will get pushed back into the laptop and you will experience overheating problems.

No man, everything fine with that.

gl703ishot wrote:
Stable 95c after 15min game session, so I'd rather put a brick on my gas pedal :(. I know that maximum allowed temp for 8750h is 100c, but man what about cpu lifetime then. I think it will die after 2-3 years at temps like that.

It's not gonna die. If it's not hitting 100C at all times, it's all good. It will just throttle really hard if it hits 100c. By the time it fails (IF it does), your laptop will be completely obsolete by then. My old Lenovo y510p SLI runs at a solid 97C on the GPU2 since 2013 (terrible thermal design, minuscule heatsink), and it's still working perfectly fine, rock solid stability. Needless to say, it's obsolete now. It has two GT750m (not GTX, GT) and an i7 4770mq. My wife now uses it to play LoL and even then it runs hot like hell.

TimeLion724
Level 8
Are the air vents blocked? cause, if it is the hot air, will get pushed back into the laptop and you will experience overheating problems.
" The speed of the fallen one does not change..."

GUIDE TO FIXING BSOD ERRORS

Pleplerhep
Level 7
A little late, but have the exact same model and had the exact same problem, it would hit max temp and throttle down.
I did pretty much as OP asked about, i masked the resistors on the gpu with thin tape and replaced the thermal paste with Coollaboratory liquid pro on both gpu and cpu, now the temps is down to around 75c and no throttling.
It should have been applied from the factory imo, why hardware companies is willing to gamble their reputation with termal paste never made sense to me.
Edit: And where is the idea from that liquid metal needs replacing?? I never replaced it on my 8700k and temps are just fine.
Le Plep