cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! PC not showing anything on monitor after z390-i bios update and profile load

tml4191
Level 7
Steps:

1.) I loaded the latest bios update onto a usb

"Version 2203
2019/03/227.97 MBytes
ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING BIOS 2203
Updated uCode for the latest Intel processor
Supported JEDEC standard DDR4 32GB memory"

2.) The pc restarted, and I went to instant flash to update bios, which said it was successful

3.) The computer restarted, so I took out the usb

4.) Before windows fully loaded, I got into bios again and saw that everything was set to stock, so I loaded my regular 5.1 Ghz profile and hit f10

5.) The computer restarted and stopped showing anything on the screen.

I restarted, and it didn't work. I unplugged and plugged the computer, and it still didn't get any image on the screen.

Please help. What should I do?

I'm thinking I have to clear cmos now, but I think the cmos battery is enclosed on the z390-i, so I might have to clear rtc ram. The manual said short the two pins to clear rtc ram, but with what? I didn't find a jumper cap in the mobo box. I looked around and found another asus manual that said I could short the two pins with a screwdriver.Would using a screwdriver on those two pins work?
8 REPLIES 8

SK8
Level 10
Not sure if this will help you or not but with my Maximus XI Extreme MB and bios update I have to use a HDMI cable on my screen until I can get into bios and set up the boot area correct again to use my DP cable.
Bios 602 and did a bios update doh
passed 8hr test on Karhu RamTest
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
CPU System Agent Voltage 1.29v
Dram timing control 17-18-18-38
Mode1
Dram command rate set to 2N set dram current capability to 130%

I've done this before, but this time it didn't work for this problem. Thank you though.

I used a flathead screwdriver on the two pins, and Windows finally loaded. I attempted to load my OC profiles, but everyone of them just resulted in an endless boot with no image showing up on the screen, so I'm guessing the problem has to do with the latest z390-i bios update, which is version 2203. For now, version 2203, which was released 3/22/2019, is a hard avoid.

SK8 wrote:
Not sure if this will help you or not but with my Maximus XI Extreme MB and bios update I have to use a HDMI cable on my screen until I can get into bios and set up the boot area correct again to use my DP cable.

what bios are you using?

have you tried using the nvidia firmware update to see if it fixes it?
i've heard it fixes it for some while doing nothing for others.
are u plugging in the dp cable in the very left port?
there is a priority which is dp1 and dp2, same with hdmi1 and hdmi2

SirWaWa wrote:
what bios are you using?

have you tried using the nvidia firmware update to see if it fixes it?
i've heard it fixes it for some while doing nothing for others.
are u plugging in the dp cable in the very left port?
there is a priority which is dp1 and dp2, same with hdmi1 and hdmi2

I'm using the latest Nvidia game-ready driver, which is version 419.35. I used a separate monitor with HDMI when I had problems getting it to load windows. so I know it's not a connection issue. I reverted back to Bios version 2012, and I'm not having any problems.

The latest bios, which is version 2203, has been problematic for my setup. I mean I could get into Windows by setting everything to default, but when overclocking, it just ends up in an endless cold boot loop.

Asus please fix this.

tml4191 wrote:
I'm using the latest Nvidia game-ready driver, which is version 419.35. I used a separate monitor with HDMI when I had problems getting it to load windows. so I know it's not a connection issue. I reverted back to Bios version 2012, and I'm not having any problems.

The latest bios, which is version 2203, has been problematic for my setup. I mean I could get into Windows by setting everything to default, but when overclocking, it just ends up in an endless cold boot loop.

Asus please fix this.

He is talking on firmware update for the video card it only helps some not all .... https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html

I feel your pain as this this is my first ROG MB to give me the same crap with the screen never seen it before . Small trick I used when it acted up on bios 805 was just unplug the screen for a second and plug it back in and could see windows again. The crazy part is I had this video card in my Rampage Extreme V build it never did any of this crap. I got so fed up with bios 805 I got rid of it and put in bios 602 as I would sooner have a old stable bios then a bios to make more issues then it is worth. For me bios 805 mucked up the ram OC as well as my sound on desktop for my Sennheiser amplifier and headphones and made my screen act up. As soon as I put her on bios 602 my sound was fixed my OC took and no screen issues so far. So needless to say I am in no rush to try the new Bios to come out a few days ago for my MB lol. I will hold off for now until I see how people say on it.
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1

SK8 wrote:
He is talking on firmware update for the video card it only helps some not all .... https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html

I feel your pain as this this is my first ROG MB to give me the same crap with the screen never seen it before . Small trick I used when it acted up on bios 805 was just unplug the screen for a second and plug it back in and could see windows again. The crazy part is I had this video card in my Rampage Extreme V build it never did any of this crap. I got so fed up with bios 805 I got rid of it and put in bios 602 as I would sooner have a old stable bios then a bios to make more issues then it is worth. For me bios 805 mucked up the ram OC as well as my sound on desktop for my Sennheiser amplifier and headphones and made my screen act up. As soon as I put her on bios 602 my sound was fixed my OC took and no screen issues so far. So needless to say I am in no rush to try the new Bios to come out a few days ago for my MB lol. I will hold off for now until I see how people say on it.

I have the same mobo as you and i'm running 0602. I'm using dual monitors via hdmi and I get random black screens for 1-2 secs then it comes back on, only on monitor 1. Anyways, I am wanting to get new monitors 144hz, freesync and use dp. This doesn't bode well if you're having problems and it's dp and mobo related. I have no problems seeing the bios or windows with hdmi though. BTW on the original bios (before 0602) I could not see the splash screen before windows on hdmi, DVI worked fine when I used a converter. When I upgraded to 0602 it was fixed. Have you tried 0903?

Anyone out there using MEXI with dp monitors with no problems? See bios and everything? Does the type of video card even matter?

SirWaWa wrote:
I have the same mobo as you and i'm running 0602. I'm using dual monitors via hdmi and I get random black screens for 1-2 secs then it comes back on, only on monitor 1. Anyways, I am wanting to get new monitors 144hz, freesync and use dp. This doesn't bode well if you're having problems and it's dp and mobo related. I have no problems seeing the bios or windows with hdmi though. BTW on the original bios (before 0602) I could not see the splash screen before windows on hdmi, DVI worked fine when I used a converter. When I upgraded to 0602 it was fixed. Have you tried 0903?

No so scared to have this all mucked up again lol so have not gone near bios 903 yet. The guy on this site who helped me OC my ram is testing 903 if he gives the green light I will try it. But I am in no rush to head into another war with this MB lol. My rig and screen are so big not easy to move so I have a HDMI cable always hooked up to the screen since this build was done. I just keep the HDMI near by NOT plugged into video card just near by until its needed as every bios update I have to use HDMI since we did this build. In truth it makes me nuts but it is what it is 😕

I ran 3 screens since the gtx690 card still use 3 screens on spare rig but I got fed up with bezel with gaming and went to this Samsung 49in curved 144hrz 1 ms refresh I love it . Why less bs to hook up one screen then 3 screens :} Every video card driver set the 3 screens up again meh after almost mmm about 10 years I got tired of it / My advice is look at one large screen less hassle in the long run . If you want I can post a pic of it .
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1