Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    My ROG GL502VS temperature battles :)

    Hey, I own a rog gl502vs with i7 6700hq and gtx1070 8gb ( + 16gb single channel ram xD ).
    My story is like many others, bought laptop, played games and got thermal issues like 95 degrees on cpu and 90+ on gpu.
    What I did is to undervolt cpu by -0,150mV and undervolted gpu in msi afterburner setting it to work at 1835MHz @ 925mv. And it works like a champ
    I got max 70-76 degrees celsius on both cpu and gpu.
    I didnt change thermal compound because lappy still has 6 months warranty and I'm not sure if self replacement will void warranty or not.
    I did also order a new bottom cover for this laptop on Aliexpress and Im planning to drill a rectangle-like hole for 2 slim 120mm fans and attach to it. I'll also add higher ( like 2,5 cm ) rubber stands so the fans could suck more cold air into laptop... There will be some particle filters also.

    I'll update my post when I receive new cover and mod it ( in probably month or more ).

    Forget me my english Im from Poland.


    Edit: contacted ASUS and they said self replacement will void warranty so for now replacing thermal paste is a no go :/
    Last edited by wesker465; 03-25-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: edit

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    27
    Posts
    220

    Mine is a GL502VSK (7700hq / 1070). I'm running my CPU at -100mv, I noticed little to no temperature difference beyond that. GPU is running at 1810mhz/850mv. Full sustained load on CPU gets it to around 83C, GPU at 75C maximum on FurMark. Combined (CPU+GPU) 100% load on prime95+furmark, gets the CPU to around 90C and GPU to around 77C. Can run it 24/7 like that, no problem.

    No holes on the bottom cover, stock thermal paste and fans on AUTO. Taped the gaps between the fans and heatsinks and raised the back of the laptop by around 10mm using a hard foam tape. It gives a better typing position and improves the airflow. I don't think drilling holes on the bottom cover would help much, since the fans can only move so much air. A simple test is to run the laptop without the cover and see what kind of improvement you get.
    Last edited by FULLMETALJACKET7; 03-26-2019 at 05:20 AM.

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array Stpa67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    20

    I got the 17" version GL702VS with a 7700HQ and 1070. When i bought it running furmark and prime95 got it to throttle down to cpu 2600/2700MHz and gpu around 1250MHz.

    So i repasted, undervolted the cpu by 120mV and the gpu by raising the voltage curve by around 200MHz. Running furmark and prime95 for 45 minutes now throttles it down to cpu 3200MHz and gpu 1550/1600MHz.

    Temps did not differ much maybe 2-3 degrees on the cpu and nothing on the gpu but frequencies went up a lot.

  4. #4
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET7 View Post
    I don't think drilling holes on the bottom cover would help much, since the fans can only move so much air. A simple test is to run the laptop without the cover and see what kind of improvement you get.
    Well Im planning to add 2 more fans 120x120mm That will definitelly improve cooling.

  5. #5
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    29

    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET7 View Post
    Mine is a GL502VSK (7700hq / 1070). I'm running my CPU at -100mv, I noticed little to no temperature difference beyond that. GPU is running at 1810mhz/850mv. Full sustained load on CPU gets it to around 83C, GPU at 75C maximum on FurMark. Combined (CPU+GPU) 100% load on prime95+furmark, gets the CPU to around 90C and GPU to around 77C. Can run it 24/7 like that, no problem.

    No holes on the bottom cover, stock thermal paste and fans on AUTO. Taped the gaps between the fans and heatsinks and raised the back of the laptop by around 10mm using a hard foam tape. It gives a better typing position and improves the airflow. I don't think drilling holes on the bottom cover would help much, since the fans can only move so much air. A simple test is to run the laptop without the cover and see what kind of improvement you get.
    Check my last post on the GL702VM extensive thread. Definitely drilling holes and having a laptop cooler blowing air directly into the holes was the major gain for me. My CPU only reach max 85 on heavy loads .

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    27
    Posts
    220

    Quote Originally Posted by Kompensan View Post
    Check my last post on the GL702VM extensive thread. Definitely drilling holes and having a laptop cooler blowing air directly into the holes was the major gain for me. My CPU only reach max 85 on heavy loads .
    The 702 is different from the 502, we're talking about he GL502 here. The CPU on mine runs at around 83C on full load (prime95), and if I remove the bottom cover the temps drop by 1 or 2 degrees. Can't say that's really an improvement, it's well within margin of error tbh. Same goes with a 100% combined load (prime95+furmark), except the cpu shoots up to around 90C peak, that's 10C below TjMax, so it's not really an issue. I also tested it with an old Thermaltake cooling pad that came with my old Lenovo y510, no difference in temperatures whatsoever.
    I forgot to add before, the CPU never clocks below 3.4GHz @ 100% load on all 4 cores, as it should be. The GPU boosts up to 1810mhz while gaming (unlimited fps) and 1720mhz on Furmark, considering both at or near 100% load.

    Anyways, somehow they managed to make a bigger laptop run hotter than a similar but smaller one. Maybe the 702 has a thinner chassis? I don't know.

    Also, high temperatures don't really bothers me. As long as it isn't throttling or hitting TjMax it's all good, and if I can squeeze some more performance out of it by undervolting, why not? Taping the fan gaps and raising the back of the laptop helped with the GPU temps, making it boost a little higher. Wouldn't go further than that to chase a few more degrees though.
    Using cooling pads and such just so I can lower temps by a couple of degrees is out of question for me. I want something portable that I can throw in my backpack and carry around easily. The charger alone is already big enough, let alone a cooling pad and external suction cooling fans like many people use. It kinda defeats the purpose, imo.
    Last edited by FULLMETALJACKET7; 03-26-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •