cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My ROG GL502VS temperature battles :) - solved with GL502VS liquid cooling loop mod

wesker465
Level 7
Hey, I own a rog gl502vs with i7 6700hq and gtx1070 8gb ( + 16gb single channel ram xD ).
My story is like many others, bought laptop, played games and got thermal issues like 95 degrees on cpu and 90+ on gpu.
What I did is to undervolt cpu by -0,150mV and undervolted gpu in msi afterburner setting it to work at 1835MHz @ 925mv. And it works like a champ 🙂
I got max 70-76 degrees celsius on both cpu and gpu.
I didnt change thermal compound because lappy still has 6 months warranty and I'm not sure if self replacement will void warranty or not.
I did also order a new bottom cover for this laptop on Aliexpress and Im planning to drill a rectangle-like hole for 2 slim 120mm fans and attach to it. I'll also add higher ( like 2,5 cm ) rubber stands so the fans could suck more cold air into laptop... There will be some particle filters also.

I'll update my post when I receive new cover and mod it ( in probably month or more ).

Forget me my english Im from Poland.

Edit: contacted ASUS and they said self replacement will void warranty so for now replacing thermal paste is a no go 😕
16 REPLIES 16

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Mine is a GL502VSK (7700hq / 1070). I'm running my CPU at -100mv, I noticed little to no temperature difference beyond that. GPU is running at 1810mhz/850mv. Full sustained load on CPU gets it to around 83C, GPU at 75C maximum on FurMark. Combined (CPU+GPU) 100% load on prime95+furmark, gets the CPU to around 90C and GPU to around 77C. Can run it 24/7 like that, no problem.

No holes on the bottom cover, stock thermal paste and fans on AUTO. Taped the gaps between the fans and heatsinks and raised the back of the laptop by around 10mm using a hard foam tape. It gives a better typing position and improves the airflow. I don't think drilling holes on the bottom cover would help much, since the fans can only move so much air. A simple test is to run the laptop without the cover and see what kind of improvement you get.

I got the 17" version GL702VS with a 7700HQ and 1070. When i bought it running furmark and prime95 got it to throttle down to cpu 2600/2700MHz and gpu around 1250MHz.

So i repasted, undervolted the cpu by 120mV and the gpu by raising the voltage curve by around 200MHz. Running furmark and prime95 for 45 minutes now throttles it down to cpu 3200MHz and gpu 1550/1600MHz.

Temps did not differ much maybe 2-3 degrees on the cpu and nothing on the gpu but frequencies went up a lot.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
I don't think drilling holes on the bottom cover would help much, since the fans can only move so much air. A simple test is to run the laptop without the cover and see what kind of improvement you get.

Well Im planning to add 2 more fans 120x120mm 😉 That will definitelly improve cooling.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Mine is a GL502VSK (7700hq / 1070). I'm running my CPU at -100mv, I noticed little to no temperature difference beyond that. GPU is running at 1810mhz/850mv. Full sustained load on CPU gets it to around 83C, GPU at 75C maximum on FurMark. Combined (CPU+GPU) 100% load on prime95+furmark, gets the CPU to around 90C and GPU to around 77C. Can run it 24/7 like that, no problem.

No holes on the bottom cover, stock thermal paste and fans on AUTO. Taped the gaps between the fans and heatsinks and raised the back of the laptop by around 10mm using a hard foam tape. It gives a better typing position and improves the airflow. I don't think drilling holes on the bottom cover would help much, since the fans can only move so much air. A simple test is to run the laptop without the cover and see what kind of improvement you get.

Check my last post on the GL702VM extensive thread. Definitely drilling holes and having a laptop cooler blowing air directly into the holes was the major gain for me. My CPU only reach max 85 on heavy loads .

Kompensan wrote:
Check my last post on the GL702VM extensive thread. Definitely drilling holes and having a laptop cooler blowing air directly into the holes was the major gain for me. My CPU only reach max 85 on heavy loads .

The 702 is different from the 502, we're talking about he GL502 here. The CPU on mine runs at around 83C on full load (prime95), and if I remove the bottom cover the temps drop by 1 or 2 degrees. Can't say that's really an improvement, it's well within margin of error tbh. Same goes with a 100% combined load (prime95+furmark), except the cpu shoots up to around 90C peak, that's 10C below TjMax, so it's not really an issue. I also tested it with an old Thermaltake cooling pad that came with my old Lenovo y510, no difference in temperatures whatsoever.
I forgot to add before, the CPU never clocks below 3.4GHz @ 100% load on all 4 cores, as it should be. The GPU boosts up to 1810mhz while gaming (unlimited fps) and 1720mhz on Furmark, considering both at or near 100% load.

Anyways, somehow they managed to make a bigger laptop run hotter than a similar but smaller one. Maybe the 702 has a thinner chassis? I don't know.

Also, high temperatures don't really bothers me. As long as it isn't throttling or hitting TjMax it's all good, and if I can squeeze some more performance out of it by undervolting, why not? Taping the fan gaps and raising the back of the laptop helped with the GPU temps, making it boost a little higher. Wouldn't go further than that to chase a few more degrees though.
Using cooling pads and such just so I can lower temps by a couple of degrees is out of question for me. I want something portable that I can throw in my backpack and carry around easily. The charger alone is already big enough, let alone a cooling pad and external suction cooling fans like many people use. It kinda defeats the purpose, imo.

Well I finally got some time and finished modding my asus. Here is the bottom cover modded with aluminium mesh with black powder paint coating

And to keep it cool I also modified my Cooler Master notepal 3. I've replaced original fans with sunon 12v on vapo bearings, they push a lot of more air and they are quiet. Cooler Pad has its own 12v power supply and RPM control ( gelid fan controler ).

I must say it works flawless :cool: I got max temps 70-80 under full load on cpu and that depends on game. For example in fallout 76 I got max 78-80 degrees on cpu and 75 on gpu. In just cause 3 temps are hardly reaching 75 on both cpu and gpu and thats all on minimum rpm settings in cooler pad 😮

In 3 months when warranty will finish I will change thermal compound for Coollaboratory Extreme and add thermal pads where needed.

These results are without undervolting , with cpu running @ 3,3GHz ( depends on game ) and with gsync on.

I just couldnt wait and replaced thermal compound for coollaboratory liquid extreme and add Gelid thermal pads.
Well...Here are the results after 30 mins of fallout 76 gameplay 😉

Temperatures are just unimaginable ^_^ 52 degree on gpu and 54 on cpu... With longer gameplay temperatures didnt reach 70 degrees on both cpu ang gpu.
Battle over, mission acomplished 🙂

wesker465 wrote:
I just couldnt wait and replaced thermal compound for coollaboratory liquid extreme and add Gelid thermal pads.
Well...Here are the results after 30 mins of fallout 76 gameplay 😉

Temperatures are just unimaginable ^_^ 52 degree on gpu and 54 on cpu... With longer gameplay temperatures didnt reach 70 degrees on both cpu ang gpu.
Battle over, mission acomplished 🙂

Disable vsync and run Furmark or any other benchmark tool for at least 10 minutes. That will bring your gpu to 100% load and give you more precise results.

Excellent job on that grill, by the way. It looks awesome.

Update:
Since liquid metal lost its properties after that time I had to find other solution.
I actually watercooled my laptop. I just made a DIY liquid cooling loop.

Here are the temps in idle state

During gaming temps never cross 65 degrees and its dead silent...I can hear only pump which is as quiet as the one You can find in fish tanks 🙂