cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI Apex 1705 Bios Freezing

roblangston
Level 7
I have recently updated to the latest 1705 BIOS and now my machine seems to freeze randomly when running XMP settings.

Prior to this, I have used 1301 and 1503 BIOS without any problems.

PC Specs:-

i9-7900x
1080ti
32GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB)
2 x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe

I have also noticed a lot of the BIOS revisions are now missing from the Asus download section.

Is anyone else having the same issues?
15 REPLIES 15

G75rog
Level 10
"32GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB)"

Was this a matched memory kit?

Looks like the bios tweaks caught up to you.

Running 64GB Gskill kit here at XMP 3466 on Apex Bios 1705 with no problems.

I can see 9 versions of Apex Bios in the download section.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-APEX/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Yes, the memory was a matched kit and never had any problems.

There are indeed 9 BIOS versions but where have 1603, 15xx revisions gone?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Can you confirm the memory kit PN? You'll likely need to tune the kit manually.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I think this is the part number: TXBD432G3600HC16AQC01

I am now not so sure that this is a BIOS issue but something else.

I still get the machine freezing with an image on the display but the mouse cursor unresponsive and a restart using the reset button doesn't work only a full power off and back on again. This can happen anywhere between 2 mins from booting into the desktop to 4-5 hours in. Setting the BIOS to optimised defaults doesn't seem to make a difference.

The machine is Prime95 stable ~8 hours, Memtest stable ~9 hours - Maxed out temps in Prime95 is 62C hottest core.

I have tried flashing the latest BIOS 1705 to BIOS2 and downgrading back to 1603, neither makes any difference. I have also tried the following:-
Updated all drivers to latest versions
I have swapped the memory over for a Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB kit.
Swapped PSU over with SuperFlower 1KW Platinum.
Removed all apart from one NVMe drive. Swapped that between the two slots on the riser board.
Removed PCIe soundcard.
Removed all USB devices apart from KB and mouse.

This really only leaves the CPU (i9 7900x) / MB & GFX Card (1080ti) which is a pain to remove and test elsewhere as they are under hard-line water cooling.

Anyone have any other ideas as this is becoming a bit of a pain to troubleshoot?

Vlada011
Level 10
If you have problem only if you set XMP Profile you should set memory manually.
Usually with manual setting you can optimize memory better than XMP and hit better score for 5%.
I look on XMP like Intel Turbo.

I have problems with both defaults and XMP. As far as I can tell the XMP settings match what they are supposed to for my particular memory kit.

G75rog
Level 10
You could turn off the first pciex16 slot with the onboard switch and try a temp card in the second slot for troubleshooting.
Check your hardline to see if it's stressing the cpu in the socket.

Thanks, I've ordered a second graphics card to test in the other slot. I will also double check the fittings and tubing to the CPU.