cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Vega 64 VRM and Performance

Frugert
Level 7
I’ve had the strix vega 64 card for 3 months now and have noticed that no matter what I do with the card it never reaches its boost clocks. I’ve upped the power limit 50%, undervolted to 1100mV, ramped the fan up to 100% and even tried overclocking it with to try and reach the speeds, but they always drop down. My GPU temps are fine, so are my HBM temps as both never reach over 75C in extreme benchmarks such as furmark, superposition etc. Yet I still never get past 1540mhz. I’m led to believe that it’s either throttling due to the GPU Hotspot temp, as it reaches around 90C+ (not entirely sure where the sensor I should placed) and the VDDC VRM temps reach almost 100C in casual gaming such as Destiny 2 and went as far as 115C in superposition. What I’m wondering is whether this is the problem of the clock speeds not boosting very far at all, whether any of you have gained performance by replacing the thermal pad(to which I heard is a **** thermal pad), and whether these temperatures are bad for the GPU? I have asked ASUS about the VRM max temps, and they told be that they throttle at 125C, which I am finding hard to believe.

What are your experiences with replacing the thermal pad, and is it worth voiding the warranty to do so?*
1 REPLY 1

feedmeink
Level 12
I have vega 56, but this applies to both 56 and 64. Rule of thumb for these cards. Memory voltage is actually linked to frequency voltage. Buildzoid did a video on this and verified with probing the card. He was undervolting a 64. What I recomend for 64, set stock at first. Set power limit 50%, set memory voltage 950. Set memory frequency to 1100 or 1000. Run fire strike ultra STRESS TEST. Not the benchmark. Open hwinfo64. Open graphs for memory voltage and memory frequency. Your goal is to get a steady graph read of memory frequency. If it goes up and down on the graph, bump up voltage a little. Or bump down. If that doesnt help, lower frequency and see how it looks. Rule of thumb too is to never set same frequency for state 6 and 7. It breaks the software and forces a downclock. This may apply to voltage as well. Try setting voltage for state 6 1100. State 7 1130. Frequency is up to you. If you monitor this in hwinfo you will see the frequency runs lower than what you set in wattman. There is a peak for frequency and this is dependent on "silicone lottery". Whatever frequency it says in hwinfo, set state 7 20 or 30mhz higher to compensate for fluctuations. These are just general guidelines. I fine tuned each state and got same performance but 100 watts less power than if I just went to max sustainable frequency. If you have any other questions let me know