cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSU replacement ready, but I think this question is hard to answer.

TheSobeGuy
Level 7
Where does this group of wires go? The one on my hand has the 24-pin to connect the motherboard. The one above it is where I don't know. Can't seem to find the four 4-pin connectors with this casing, and it is nudged somewhere behind the case. Mind you, it was pre-built during the BlizzCon 2010 event when ASUS had their booth, showcasing these PC builds and cases.

Current specs (via CPU-Z)

i7 @ 950 3.07 GHz
ASUS Rampage III Gene
16 GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

9 REPLIES 9

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Can't tell anything from those photos...

Have you looked to download the manual for the PSU online?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Can't tell anything from those photos...

Have you looked to download the manual for the PSU online?

Even with the online manual, I wish I knew where those CPU 4+4Pin Connectors connect to. Like I said, this was all pre-built, showcased at BlizzCon2010, and delivered. I did however find one of the connectors loose. Maybe the other three are just stuck somewhere behind the case to wiggle through?

I'll end up working a little harder on removing those wires behind those loopholes.

If there were that one person who built this at the BlizzCon 2010 event, then I can learn a few things from him...or her.

Worst case scenario #1: take out the motherboard, find those connectors, and remove the PSU wires much easier...(something I am a little afraid to do)

Worst case scenario #2: unscrew the other side of the case, wiggle it, deal carefully with the AZZA fan, and hope for the best.

i7 @ 950 3.07 GHz
ASUS Rampage III Gene
16 GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
What is the PSU...link the manual if you have a link and what MB

If it's 24pin and 4+4ATX for CPU then there should be an 8pin ATX connector near top of board..

But yeah, I'd get both sides off the PC for this

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
What is the PSU...link the manual if you have a link and what MB

If it's 24pin and 4+4ATX for CPU then there should be an 8pin ATX connector near top of board..

But yeah, I'd get both sides off the PC for this

The PSU is this:
Cooler Master Silent Pro 850W
http://www.coolermaster.com/service/support/model/RS-850-AMBA-J3/
The download links are provided via the link.

My motherboard is an ASUS Rampage III Gene

i7 @ 950 3.07 GHz
ASUS Rampage III Gene
16 GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK, so by the looks of it...the non modular cables are 24 pin and there are a further 2x 4+4 ATX

The 24pin is obvious and one of the 4+4 goes to the EATX connector top left

The other 4+4 you don't need....then the other cables for PCIe etc. are modular and mapped out on the PSU which is which... right?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
OK, so by the looks of it...the non modular cables are 24 pin and there are a further 2x 4+4 ATX

The 24pin is obvious and one of the 4+4 goes to the EATX connector top left

The other 4+4 you don't need....then the other cables for PCIe etc. are modular and mapped out on the PSU which is which... right?

Yes, the group wiring (yellow and black). I did find that 4+4 on the top after unscrewing two NZXT fans. Also the wires happened to be tied up heavy duty style.

Looks like I need to box cut that wire tie, remove that 4+4 pin, maybe unscrew the motherboard to reach in for those PSU wires and hopefully remove them.

Update: Motherboard removed, wires are behind that fan, and now they are reachable. This is truly working backwards, for one PSU replacement...

i7 @ 950 3.07 GHz
ASUS Rampage III Gene
16 GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

TheSobeGuy
Level 7
Now if I want to temporarily remove the hard side of the case, aside from the screws removed, I need visibility, to see what other heavy duty wire ties I need to cut.

This one is the easy case that slides off

i7 @ 950 3.07 GHz
ASUS Rampage III Gene
16 GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

TheSobeGuy
Level 7
Now if I want to temporarily remove the hard side of the case, the outside screws are removed and safe...
I don't really want to use brute force to toy and wiggle it, to find tie-knotted wires, so I can have visibility.

This one is the easy case that slides off

i7 @ 950 3.07 GHz
ASUS Rampage III Gene
16 GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

TheSobeGuy
Level 7

There. I finally found my answer after removing the harder case side. Now I can get to work...

i7 @ 950 3.07 GHz
ASUS Rampage III Gene
16 GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970