cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage v Edition 10 PCI E lanes set at 16x/8x with 5930k

Morkrah
Level 7
Hi chaps, hoping someone has some answers for me.

I recently 'upgraded' from a maximus iv and 2600k to a rampage v edition 10 and a 5930k for a good price.

I chose the 5930k as I have two matrix 980ti in sli so wanted 16x/16x.

However both my GPU post in bios and GPU-Z are both saying that the second card in slot 3 is running at 8x.

Anyone know what I can do to enable / force x16 on the 3rd pci-e slot.

Yes the cards are both in the two x16 slots and I am aware there is probably no bottleneck here but I'd like to know my system is running as intended.

Cheers many thanks!
26 REPLIES 26

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Morkrah
Level 7
No buddy that's why I'm confused. Haven't even got around to an m.2 drive yet. Hmmmm ������

Nothing connected to the board other then the GPUs and a sata ssd.

Hello,

Just some off the cuff suggestions. The i7-5930K supports 40 PCIE lanes while the i7-5920K supports only 28 lanes. The behavior you describe would be expected for a 5920K, see the attached info from the manual for R5E10. Might be worth double checking what they actually put on the board, although you probably already have done that. Check also the PCIE dip switches are all "on", in the upper right corner of the board. Try swapping positions of the cards to see if the problem is with the card and not the slots. Maybe there is a problem with the edgeboard connectors tarnished or something.

Morkrah
Level 7
Hi there thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a go at swapping the cards over again this evening, I'll blast the slots out quickly as that can't hurt.

Well this is why I bought the 5930k and not the 5820 because I wanted the 40 lanes. The dip switches are all switched on but I'll give them some exercise and see if that makes any difference.

I'll get back to you.

Any other suggestions very welcome, thanks

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'd definitely swap the GPUs over...see if it's the same...make sure the GPUs are seated propperly etc.

I presume you've checked the CPU socket for bent pins and stuff like that.

Make sure the cooler is evenly mounted...

You could try to populate the EZplug molex connector at the bottom of the board

What PSU do you have powering all this?

Morkrah
Level 7
Hey Arne, I will be sure to try the EZ plug, maybe the matrix cards want to see more juice?

My power supply is 1250w enermax it's a little old but golden

I did check out we the socket and there was nothing untoward there. Could have another look soon. If I don't get anywhere.

Also try and see if there is a BIOS setting that forces the x16 slot #3 to become x8 mode. If none of these things work, it must be bad Karma:rolleyes:

Morkrah wrote:
Hey Arne, I will be sure to try the EZ plug, maybe the matrix cards want to see more juice?

My power supply is 1250w enermax it's a little old but golden

I did check out we the socket and there was nothing untoward there. Could have another look soon. If I don't get anywhere.

It's good to use the EZplug for multi GPU...but I'm not sure it would make a difference to the x8x16 you're seeing.

Is the 5930K second hand? I once had a CPU do this to me...the PCIe controller was a bit fried...which is why swapping GPUs would help narrowing things down

You could also BIOS flashback a fresh BIOS on there...switch BIOS to the second chip...

R5Eandme wrote:
it must be bad Karma:rolleyes:

LOL...you'll be down to x4 Gen 2 for the suggestion;)

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
It's good to use the EZplug for multi GPU...but I'm not sure it would make a difference to the x8x16 you're seeing.

Is the 5930K second hand? I once had a CPU do this to me...the PCIe controller was a bit fried...which is why swapping GPUs would help narrowing things down

You could also BIOS flashback a fresh BIOS on there...switch BIOS to the second chip...

LOL...you'll be down to x4 Gen 2 for the suggestion;)

"LOL...you'll be down to x4 Gen 2 for the suggestion": not a chance. I've been AGP for a long time:o