cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith Extreme - SLI issues using slots 1/3 per manual / bios suggestion

iquit040
Level 7
I have an issue with performance when running SLI in the asus suggestion configuration (slots 1 and 3). Games will have random stutters and sometimes crash the game, and other times completely lock the system up. When i disable SLI completely, the issue goes away. I looked up the Die access to the different PCI slots, slot 1 and slot 3 are on different Die’s and I am assuming this is the cause of the problem. My original build was a 1950x and 2x 1080ti and the issues were occurring then as well. Since then I have swapped out the Zenith Extreme motherboard for a new one, changed out the processor to the 2990wx, memory 8 new modules, and installed 4 new 1080ti different mfg / model. I am noticing though when SLI is using the suggested slots though, Same problem. I am wondering if anyone else has ran into SLI issues on the Zenith Extreme (besides the 2x 2080ti issue i had seen).

For the record: slot 1 and 2 SLI actually runs perfectly and scales appropriately. Has anyone else seen any issues SLI across the dies using slots 1 and 3?

(in the situations I am talking about I have disabled the other cards using the switches on the motherboard so I am only using 2 cards not all 4, and I tried using different SLI bridges as well)
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey Iquit040

Actually I gave up on SLI just before I bought this platform, so I never ran it on the Zenith Extreme...

Are you on the latest BIOS? Have you tried changing RAM Distributed/Local mode (not sure if that would help just an idea)

Have you got the EZ plug populated (molex bottom of board)

You sure it's GPU related not RAM? I kind of guess so if SLI works on 1/2 but not 1/3

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hey Iquit040

Actually I gave up on SLI just before I bought this platform, so I never ran it on the Zenith Extreme...

Are you on the latest BIOS? Have you tried changing RAM Distributed/Local mode (not sure if that would help just an idea)

Have you got the EZ plug populated (molex bottom of board)

You sure it's GPU related not RAM? I kind of guess so if SLI works on 1/2 but not 1/3

First off thanks for responding to my post.

This might be my last SLI rodeo with all the fun I have had with this build. I am on the latest bios, have tried different memory and gpus at this point. When I had the 1950x still, I did try local mode, didn't help. I do have the EZ plug populated as well. I am really thinking at this point it has to be either be a Zenith Extreme board issue or X399 cross die communication issue. I was hoping that someone else would speak up and say they have seen it too, but I haven't found anyone else complaining about this issue.

Things that have changed at this point:
Processor: 1950x to 2990wx
Motherboard: Swapped to a different Zenith Extreme (back when I had the 1950x) and no change, so swapped back
Memory: Have tried 4 - 8 slots populated and with 2 different sets / MFGs
GPUS: Originally had 2x gigabyte gaming oc 1080ti, now have 4x pny 1080ti on liquid (issue still exists), I have disabled 2 cards every time I am testing a different configuration to avoid that adding to the mix.

Adding a Picture of the monster build below so the setup makes a little more sense.

Cory29
Level 7
Personally I could get very few games to run in 4 way sli - and have less issues with 2 way but still run into stuttering and crashing too ...

this is on both amd and intel platforms support kind of fell out with developers when nvidia limited sli to only 2 cards

I can render on all 4 like a beast though (daily I only have 1 card in my system because of the random issues)

not saying there isn't a problem but you have to do allot of research and testing to figure out if its the board or the game or the cards

Cory29 wrote:
Personally I could get very few games to run in 4 way sli - and have less issues with 2 way but still run into stuttering and crashing too ...

this is on both amd and intel platforms support kind of fell out with developers when nvidia limited sli to only 2 cards

I can render on all 4 like a beast though (daily I only have 1 card in my system because of the random issues)

not saying there isn't a problem but you have to do allot of research and testing to figure out if its the board or the game or the cards

Yeah it takes the perfect setup and all kinds of tweaks to get 4 way sli working. I just find it odd that everyone suggests 1/3 2 way sli causes all kinds of problems for me, but 1/2 and 3/4 doesn't. No one else has documented it. I dug through some youtube videos on builds/ benchmarks and saw some similar "terrible" fps counts and people didn't complain or mention issues. I am guessing no one has noticed it, or bothered trying 1/2 config due to not having the 0 slot sli bridges. I just wish AMD or mobo mfgs would say, yes we have identified this issue, and stop suggesting 1/3 slot usage. I have had headaches for over a year trying to solve it and just trying it in the different slot config stopped it. If that issue could be solved, then I would start trying to get 4 way sli to work (doubt that will ever happen)

Retired
Not applicable
I have 2 Geforce 1080Ti's in SLI running on this platform just fine. I had some micro-stuttering when playing DOOM recently, but that's because I updated my Nvidia drivers. I'm assuming this could be an issue with your drivers, iquit040.
With the recent BIOS update to 1601, for a while I didn't know that the platform can actually overclock the random access memory speed without interfering the base clock. So I thought that my crashes where caused on DOOM to that however I checked my other games and everything just worked fine 🙂 Try establishing the minimum driver setting's on Nvidia control panel. It might take you an hour or more to find the best setting's on Quad-SLI.

I have since moved to dual Titan RTX setup. Issues have since gone away. Dunno why the 1080ti's had the problems but I just couldn't keep dealing with the issues.

SirBob
Level 7
iquit040 wrote:
I have an issue with performance when running SLI in the asus suggestion configuration (slots 1 and 3). Games will have random stutters and sometimes crash the game, and other times completely lock the system up. When i disable SLI completely, the issue goes away. I looked up the Die access to the different PCI slots, slot 1 and slot 3 are on different Die’s and I am assuming this is the cause of the problem. My original build was a 1950x and 2x 1080ti and the issues were occurring then as well. Since then I have swapped out the Zenith Extreme motherboard for a new one, changed out the processor to the 2990wx, memory 8 new modules, and installed 4 new 1080ti different mfg / model. I am noticing though when SLI is using the suggested slots though, Same problem. I am wondering if anyone else has ran into SLI issues on the Zenith Extreme (besides the 2x 2080ti issue i had seen).

For the record: slot 1 and 2 SLI actually runs perfectly and scales appropriately. Has anyone else seen any issues SLI across the dies using slots 1 and 3?

(in the situations I am talking about I have disabled the other cards using the switches on the motherboard so I am only using 2 cards not all 4, and I tried using different SLI bridges as well)

yes having same issues with games as well thought I was building a beast 1950x with 2 strix 1080ti's oc running pg 27uq
128gig ram trident z 3200 cl14 at moment 4 samsung 512 pro's m.2 changing soon to 4 2TB samsung evo plus's all running real cool on two phobya 560 60mm rads with push pull fansans well double pump set up by bitspower and 300mm monsoon resalso liquid cooled vrm by heat killer and gpu's cooled by phanteks glacier, cpu by raystorm neo
best cooling when the zenith came out