cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1080ti (non-OC) too hot!

SootSlayer
Level 7
Long time ASUS fan, but first time joining/posting on the forums. So please forgive if this is the wrong place.

I just picked up the STRIX 1080ti non-oc version. And man, this thing is a beast! So, I knew going into it that it's a big, triple fan card. However, I wasn't ready to see the temps jump up to cap and start throttling under any load whatsoever.

Whether watching video's, or playing games, once the card is under load at all the temp quickly climbs right up to 90c and fans go to 100%. No overclock or anything. I'm under the impression it then starts to throttle, as the temp will drop to 89c, but then right back to 91c, while fps will dip and gain along with it and it seems to just bounce back and forth there.

I've tried boosting up my case fans to 100%, even taking off the side panels on my case, all to no avail. I even popped the card into my home office pc and tested it there, same issue.

I'm thinking maybe thermal paste issue, but don't want to remove the cover and void my warranty.

Any thoughts or suggestions? RMA?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hi SootSlayer

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Have you tried setting a custom fan curve with GPU Tweak II ?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi SootSlayer

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Have you tried setting a custom fan curve with GPU Tweak II ?

I did test with a custom fan curve, but that ended up just slightly slowing down the inevitable.

Vlada011 wrote:
If temps are over 80C on 100% fan speed I believe it's time for RMA.
ASUS didn't made last years custom cards to work on so high temperatures on fabric frequency.
Even Founders Edition stay on 75-80C on 75-80% fan speed.

It's important how long need before temps reach so high temperatures.
Sometimes simple removing side panel and increase fan speed on case could drop temperatures of air cooled cards for 10-15C.
But if graphic card even than reach so high temperatures solution is RMA. I believe it's bad touch cooler - graphic processor. Problem is if something else cause overheating than maybe you will not be able to RMA.
That's situation where vendor politic cause problems and more work to self and customers.
Normal average customer will check what is problem and maybe avoid sending to RMA. But it's not worth of risk.

I'll go back through and recreate my tests and maybe video them this time around.

I did find something interesting though, I noticed so long as I set an aggressive fan curve, and my case was laying on it's side so the GPU was vertical, I was able to stay ahead of the temps rising and keep it in the high 60's~70c range. However, once I set my case right side up, I can't keep the temps down. So perhaps there's an issue with the weight of the gpu on my PCIe slot when the case is upright?

Vlada011
Level 10
If temps are over 80C on 100% fan speed I believe it's time for RMA.
ASUS didn't made last years custom cards to work on so high temperatures on fabric frequency.
Even Founders Edition stay on 75-80C on 75-80% fan speed.

It's important how long need before temps reach so high temperatures.
Sometimes simple removing side panel and increase fan speed on case could drop temperatures of air cooled cards for 10-15C.
But if graphic card even than reach so high temperatures solution is RMA. I believe it's bad touch cooler - graphic processor. Problem is if something else cause overheating than maybe you will not be able to RMA.
That's situation where vendor politic cause problems and more work to self and customers.
Normal average customer will check what is problem and maybe avoid sending to RMA. But it's not worth of risk.

Vlada011
Level 10
Maybe...you should try to hold GPU with something, if temperatures stay love you should invest in VGA Holder.
ASUS give him with some motherboards but I don't know why they didn't offer people to buy. Rampage VI Extreme and Zenith Extreme have VGA Holder.

Many PC Cases show up with different craps, but only Lian Li PC-V3000 have clips to secure video cards and they are not visible at all.
You see how they done smart that, they could be removed completely and move up and down, for 2 graphic cards.

Nicest classic full tower on market.

Vlada011
Level 10
I tried to find this peace and to buy but no one could helped me.
That's abnormal politic to made something put in box of motherboards and not offer to other people to buy if they need.

I searched everywhere.

I know these brackets exist, I had just never heard of GPU sag causing overheating.

Sent in for RMA

Thanks for the feedback