cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG GX701 Keyboard & ROG Logo (Above Keyboard) Not working

HotStonerChick
Level 7
Hello everyone.
I am currently on my second GX701. Had to replace the first one over this same issue and want to see if other owners have noticed this issue with the software on their GX701. The laptop's RGB on the keyboard keeps freezing. I constantly have to open Armory Crate and go into the AURA section to re sync the keyboard. It then freezes again within a few minutes and will not let me even change the brightness setting of the keyboard until I go back into Armory Crate and reset again. This is a constant issue. Now with laptop #2 it's the same issue. I could get over this but my second issue is the worst. There is RGB lighting located just below the air vents. Right where the lid opens on the bottom to allow better ventilation are RGB lights on both the left and right side. These lights as well as the ROG logo above the keyboard are no longer working. Even with a reset to Armory Crate settings, they don't want to turn back on. The only workaround I've found is having to uninstall 3 programs/services. (Armory Crate, Armory Crate Service, ROG Live Service). These 3 seem to be what controls the RGB lighting. Once I uninstall and then reinstall them (downloaded from Asus' website, the ROG logo above the keyboard comes back to life and so do the lights under the air vents. This however is short lived and proceeds to shut off after a day or two. Could even shut off after next reboot as I've tested multiple theories and run experiments. I'm upset because this is quite the pricey laptop. Got mine at Best Buy which I'm thankful for because their warranty is unmatched when it comes to computers. (I could sledgehammer this thing and walk in for a new one, pretty much lol). So all together I've spent around $3,800 with taxes and a 3 year warranty that covers everything. I'm happy with the performance mostly but when I purchase an almost $4000 laptop, I expect everything advertised to work like a charm. I'm sad to say that Asus seems to have exceptional hardware, but when it comes to software, there are either issues, or no support. I've called Asus support over this issue 3 times now. Twice with the old model and once with the now new one. Logged a ticket both times. Was told to reset bios, etc etc. Told them what worked for me but explained it would just end up back to square one with lights going out and laptop lights freezing completely. I'm just not pleased. What a waste to have RGB if you can't even use it. It's not the main reason I bought this thing but plays a huge part as it helps with the overall aesthetic and I can customize them for specific games, but then it freezes up, lights up the wrong sections of the keyboard mid game and ruins the experience. I just don't know what to do. Best Buy has offered to replace it for a Razer Blade with an RTX 2080 Max Q but I'm too loyal to Asus. It would put some money back in my pocket but I know those laptops get hot with beefier GPUs. What should I do? Anyone else notice their lights are out? This seems to happen after you first get the laptop and windows does it's standard updates and what not. I can't NOT update the laptop because most of them are security updates... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

HotStonerChick
Level 7
Found a decent solution. This fixes the light zone above the keyboard and the vent lights in the lid. If you go to Armory Crate or click the ROG button above the trackpad to open Armory Crate, you want to click on the Auru Icon on the left. Then navigate to AURA Settings. You will see that one setting is left unchecked which is "Laptop Light Zones". That option specifically activates the ROG Logo above the keyboard and lights located under the vents in the lid. Another user by the name of Zodiak gave me the idea and it worked! Hope this helps anyone with the same issue. I've spent a solid month trying to fix this so here is a solution that for now seems to be working. Will reply if the lights end up going back out. If there isn't another post within a week, its working with no issues. Edit* However, this does not fix the freezing issue with the RGB lighting of both lighting zones. They do freeze up always after a few minutes.

It really worked, thank you dude, I have another problem now, my left speaker does not work sometimes.... is it happen to you or anyone? Rog Zephyrus 17

QUOTE=HotStonerChick;766698]Found a decent solution. This fixes the light zone above the keyboard and the vent lights in the lid. If you go to Armory Crate or click the ROG button above the trackpad to open Armory Crate, you want to click on the Auru Icon on the left. Then navigate to AURA Settings. You will see that one setting is left unchecked which is "Laptop Light Zones". That option specifically activates the ROG Logo above the keyboard and lights located under the vents in the lid. Another user by the name of Zodiak gave me the idea and it worked! Hope this helps anyone with the same issue. I've spent a solid month trying to fix this so here is a solution that for now seems to be working. Will reply if the lights end up going back out. If there isn't another post within a week, its working with no issues. Edit* However, this does not fix the freezing issue with the RGB lighting of both lighting zones. They do freeze up always after a few minutes.

HotStonerChick wrote:
Found a decent solution. This fixes the light zone above the keyboard and the vent lights in the lid. If you go to Armory Crate or click the ROG button above the trackpad to open Armory Crate, you want to click on the Auru Icon on the left. Then navigate to AURA Settings. You will see that one setting is left unchecked which is "Laptop Light Zones". That option specifically activates the ROG Logo above the keyboard and lights located under the vents in the lid. Another user by the name of Zodiak gave me the idea and it worked! Hope this helps anyone with the same issue. I've spent a solid month trying to fix this so here is a solution that for now seems to be working. Will reply if the lights end up going back out. If there isn't another post within a week, its working with no issues. Edit* However, this does not fix the freezing issue with the RGB lighting of both lighting zones. They do freeze up always after a few minutes.

Enabling Laptop light zones setting is not working for mine setup. in italian zona luce laptop.
The logo is on during startup and sleep but not the ones under the vents.

magnus471 wrote:
Enabling Laptop light zones setting is not working for mine setup. in italian zona luce laptop.
The logo is on during startup and sleep but not the ones under the vents.

what about the logo behind the screen? is it working?

Blake1
Level 10
Hello reza_lp2010,
When did your speaker start to have issue? after any update or modification?
Does headset work fine?
If so, please kindly send your device to service center to check the speaker hardware.
Thank you.