cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My GL703GM STRIX SCAR is shutting down without reason.

ArmorDude1
Level 8
My GL703GM STRIX SCAR is shutting down without reason. When I say shutting down I mean its on one second and then it makes a "ping" sound and screen is black and it starts to reboot.

Stock factory settings nothing over clocked.

I have review Event logs and they really don't give any hint.

Took it to a local shop who ran stress tests on all of the hardware and nothing really show up. They suggested it may be a random hardware issue but they could not point to what component that might be.

Tech support wants me to factory reset my GL703GM and reinstall everything to "see" if that solved my shutdown of my ROC laptop.

Here is a video of the issue after several attempts to start the unit. It was working OK then the PING /black screen and it goes into this loop for a while then it will start and run like everything is normal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCF5hJeQc8k

Any suggestions on solving this are welcome.

Some days it will run fine and other days it acts like in the video.

I have also done all of the W10 repair procedures via CMD prompt as well.

No I am not gaming yet, as I am in real estate and use this for my realestate CRM, open houses and editing my videos, but have not started that yet due to not wanting to loose any work.

It has the GTX 1060 16 gigs of ram
Driver 24.21.13.9924(NVIDA 399.24)
GPU Clock 1405Mhz
Memory 2002Mhz
Boost 1671 Mhz

W10 64

BIOS 86.06.62.00.52

DDR5 Samsung

Driver
18 REPLIES 18

TimeLion724
Level 8
If your POST is making noise there might be a physical problem.
" The speed of the fallen one does not change..."

GUIDE TO FIXING BSOD ERRORS

TimeLion724 wrote:
If your POST is making noise there might be a physical problem.

The only noise is the "ping/dink" you can hear is the video when I am trying to enter my password and it recycles.

DBialy
Level 7
My GL703GM started doing exactly the same thing, whenever i press around 'G' or 'T' key it just shuts down... I've found another person on different forum that has the same problem!!! ASUS gave us a faulty devices.

Anyone else with a GL703GM having issues?

ArmorDude1 wrote:
Anyone else with a GL703GM having issues?

Yes. I got it for 2-3 times, restarted and blocked at Acer ROG logo 😞
Beside the AURA CORE does not remembers the settings. Sometimes it reset to the default 4 zone colors 😞
Many models has problems, but ASUS support sleeping 😞

LATER EDIT:
Back to Windows 10 x64 v1803. All are working fine. v1809 has many issues 😞
Windows Update set to Enabed. Notify frst before updating....

I have an issue with the keyboard that is dead, do you think that downgrading windows can do the trick? I am having the dead keyboard from the moment I unpackage it,

I connect an usb keyboard, when I hit the capslock key, the capslock light goes on in the notebook keyboard . so not a hardware issue i think.

vtw how to downgrade windows... fresh install?

thanks a lot, I am a bit desperate

tuby10 wrote:
I have an issue with the keyboard that is dead, do you think that downgrading windows can do the trick? I am having the dead keyboard from the moment I unpackage it,

I connect an usb keyboard, when I hit the capslock key, the capslock light goes on in the notebook keyboard . so not a hardware issue i think.

vtw how to downgrade windows... fresh install?

thanks a lot, I am a bit desperate

I have a dead keyboard for two times in Win10 x64 v1809 only.
Installed v1703, then updated to v1803 and now all are working fine every day.

v1809 of WIndows 10 x64 has many issues.
Dead Keyboard, AURA CORE reset to the default settings (4 zone colors) + many others.

v1803 of WIndows 10 x64 is working fine !

LOOK HERE:
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-stop-windows-10-update/

Use Way 3 only ---> Change Group Policy Settings to stop Windows 10 update

Had exactly the same issue when i bought my laptop , it crashed on a key press once in a while . For me the keys triggering the pc crash were part of Nvidia software hotkeys , that way i backtracked it to Nvidia drivers . Did a clean gpu install without a hd audio driver and never had an issues with crashes again. So my guess it's could be driver related for you also.

More info about mine, here: 😞

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?110782-HELP-My-ASUS-ROG-GL703GM-WON-T-START

Dead motherboard after a normal shutdown.
Send it to service.
Motherboard changed in warranty.
Now the battery show charging , but increasing very hard. From 7% to 28% in 10 hours with the computer shutted down 😞