cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PC send help!

Zyperious
Level 7
So to get to the point my PC is currently experiencing a blue screen error 124 and as I am new to building a PC I have no idea where to start troubleshooting or anything.

Background info
I have recently built a PC and have had troubles with it since getting it fully assembled. Since then and a little trial and error I got to the current point in time where I am currently experiencing a blue screen error 124. Everything in my build is new and I have swapped the motherboard once as I was getting a 2nd one anyway to start a PC for a friend. it has maybe been 2-3 weeks since a fresh install of everything.

My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Zyperious/saved/pMH6sY

again I am new to this kind of thing but want to learn so any help is greatly appreciated!
10 REPLIES 10

Lunatic24_7
Level 7
you should get whocrashed!

It analyzes the minidump file on the hard drive and allows you to figure out what might be causing the issue you're having.

Lunatic24_7 wrote:

It analyzes the minidump file on the hard drive and allows you to figure out what might be causing the issue you're having.

thanks i'll give it a shot tonight

Lunatic24_7 wrote:

so I downloaded whocrashed however it is telling me that no valid dumps have been found on this computer, i did check and it is set to on and Complete memory dump.

Heini
Level 11
If your 'PC Specs' are current I'd expect the "Power Supply EVGA 500 BR" could be a suspect of any problems you could experience with any upgrades you could hope for. 500w just isn't enough anymore!

Heini wrote:
If your 'PC Specs' are current I'd expect the "Power Supply EVGA 500 BR" could be a suspect of any problems you could experience with any upgrades you could hope for. 500w just isn't enough anymore!

after i got the parts ordered i found that out and it is a priority right now to get. The list is current as the build is barely a month old if not slightly over.
do you think a 850 would work fine or just bump it up to a 1000?

Zyperious wrote:
after i got the parts ordered i found that out and it is a priority right now to get. The list is current as the build is barely a month old if not slightly over.
do you think a 850 would work fine or just bump it up to a 1000?

850 watt PSU for a minimum. Break your system voltage and wattage down like this. What does each component require power wise to function at the minimum and the maximum? Ask yourself what do you foresee yourself doing with your build in the future are you going to do future upgrades? Your selected 2070 GPU uses 185 watts all by itself as a minimum without heavy load. Your CPU uses 65 watts without load. Mother Board wattage will vary based on load and heat conditions IE. How many fans connected to MB fan headers. Your ram wattage will also vary and you have RGB Leds on the Ram so they will draw watts to operate along with the ram and if there is any heat build up in your case that will increase wattage along with voltage draw. Will you be using RGB led fans? (Example Corsair RGB HD140 fans draw .30Amps for the fan and .47amps for the LEDs) You can convert amps to watts easy.

There is are several PSU calculators that you can use many manufactures of PSU have them. Run your specs on multiple calculators as not all things are equal and remember they will only give you a minimum requirement. Personally I use a 1250 watt on my current build is it overkill? Hell yes, but I have room to grow or go back to SLI if I wanted too. Plus when I game my system draws more voltage and wattage/ AKA amperage. Plus I run a hybrid system with some water cooling and 12 fans. I live in a very hot area 100 plus degrees in summer.

IMO your current spec'ed PSU is to small and will cause crashes on both the MB and the GPU.

Seabee_2 wrote:
850 watt PSU for a minimum. Break your system voltage and wattage down like this. What does each component require power wise to function at the minimum and the maximum? Ask yourself what do you foresee yourself doing with your build in the future are you going to do future upgrades? Your selected 2070 GPU uses 185 watts all by itself as a minimum without heavy load. Your CPU uses 65 watts without load. Mother Board wattage will vary based on load and heat conditions IE. How many fans connected to MB fan headers. Your ram wattage will also vary and you have RGB Leds on the Ram so they will draw watts to operate along with the ram and if there is any heat build up in your case that will increase wattage along with voltage draw. Will you be using RGB led fans? (Example Corsair RGB HD140 fans draw .30Amps for the fan and .47amps for the LEDs) You can convert amps to watts easy.

There is are several PSU calculators that you can use many manufactures of PSU have them. Run your specs on multiple calculators as not all things are equal and remember they will only give you a minimum requirement. Personally I use a 1250 watt on my current build is it overkill? Hell yes, but I have room to grow or go back to SLI if I wanted too. Plus when I game my system draws more voltage and wattage/ AKA amperage. Plus I run a hybrid system with some water cooling and 12 fans. I live in a very hot area 100 plus degrees in summer.

IMO your current spec'ed PSU is to small and will cause crashes on both the MB and the GPU.

I am currently looking as PSU prices and seeing what i can do, I am aiming for a 100 as I do intend to upgrade this later but currently that wont be any sooner than 3-4 years at the earliest

AMArne Saknussemm
Have you set your RAM to DOCP in BIOS?

A750W PSU will be plenty assuming you don't add another GPU in future.

as stated about wont upgrade for a while and no i have not, please inform me as to what that is/does and how i can do it....i am only a little ashamed as to my lack of knowledge.....but at least I admit it!

just don't know if that is a good thing

any recommendations for a PSU? sadly won't be able to get it for another week or two

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have you set your RAM to DOCP in BIOS?

A750W PSU will be plenty assuming you don't add another GPU in future.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK 124 error can often be RAM related...the reason I asked about DOCP

Sometimes default kits can act up..

In the BIOS you have to go to extreme tweaker tab....go down to AI Overclock Tuner and select a DOCP profile...then save and exit (f10)...reboot

For a PSU I'd look at Seasonic...or EVGA....something platinum 750 or 850 with a good long warranty...like 10 year.
The PSU is the heart of the system, no point saving money there. An efficient well made PSU will save money in the long run just from power alone...