cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z390 Strix-I Gaming | Won't Post With Two Dimms (4133Mhz)

irishj
Level 7
Hello,

I recently started a mini-itx build, using the Z390 Strix-I Gaming moterboard and 2 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z 4133Mhz Dimms (F4-4133C19D-16GTZR) but the system will not POST with both dimm slots populated. The dimm led on the motherboard is illuminated in orange which shows there is a memory issue. Removing one of the dimms (nearest cpu) and the system will POST. Tried swapping the modules around to see if it was a module issue, but experience the same issue no matter which module I use in each slot. I enabled XMP1 and rebooted and the system POST's again with one module, turned off and added the second and experienced the same issue again, no POST and orange dimm led illuminated. Memory training is enabled on the motherboard and I've tried disabling it, but no difference.

Let me be straight up and state I know nothing about overclocking, memory voltages ect... so everything is set to auto. Any ideas on possible solutions to this issue ?

Thank You
20 REPLIES 20

FornaxLacerta
Level 7
I was having issues with the exact memory on my Maximus Formula XI until I updated to bios 0903 released last week. Have you tried updating? Here's the link for your Mobo:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?108058-BIOS-ROG-Strix-Z390-Gaming

Hey,

Thanks for the update.

Yes, just recently updated to the latest bios and still seeing the same issue. Tried the same as before, 1 dimm in the slot furthest away from CPU and board POST'd ok. Left everything at stock and powered off. Inserted the 2nd dimm in the slot nearest the CPU and same problem, dimm led on the board is orange and no POST.

I'll try the recommendations supplied in your thread in relation to the various bios settings such as voltage and see if that makes a difference.

Legolas
Level 9
Hi, when you go to BIOS's AI tweaker > Dram frequency to Auto, do you have same problem with 2 ram? Did you update the BIOS?
Did you try AI tweaker -> AI tuner -> XMP? works or not?
It appears your ram may be not working properly if you can not put it together on the 2 DIMMs. There is only 2 DIMM slots.
Sincerely,
Legolas

Phillyflyer
Level 10
irishj wrote:
Hello,

I recently started a mini-itx build, using the Z390 Strix-I Gaming moterboard and 2 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z 4133Mhz Dimms (F4-4133C19D-16GTZR) but the system will not POST with both dimm slots populated. The dimm led on the motherboard is illuminated in orange which shows there is a memory issue. Removing one of the dimms (nearest cpu) and the system will POST. Tried swapping the modules around to see if it was a module issue, but experience the same issue no matter which module I use in each slot. I enabled XMP1 and rebooted and the system POST's again with one module, turned off and added the second and experienced the same issue again, no POST and orange dimm led illuminated. Memory training is enabled on the motherboard and I've tried disabling it, but no difference.

Let me be straight up and state I know nothing about overclocking, memory voltages ect... so everything is set to auto. Any ideas on possible solutions to this issue ?

Thank You

Please try the following :
AI TUNER....XMP 1
DRAM FREQUENCY....4133MHZ
DRAM VOLTAGE...1.35V...change to1.4V
VCCIO...AUTO
VCCSA...AUTO
Under DRAM TIMING CONTROL...Set the following timings...19/19/39/2T.....then scroll down futher and look for Channel A Dimm Control / Channel B Dimm Control...these both should be set to enabled
In the Extreme Tweaker tab ..,. set dram current capability to 130%
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Hello,

Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I've set the options you recommended, with the exception of the following :

DRAM command rate - There was no 2T option, but there was a 2N option, so I chose that.

Extreme Tweaker - I don't have this tab in my bios and checked the other entries available in other tabs and don't see an option for "dram current capability".

Voltage was set to 1.4V and timings to 19/19/39/2N - XMP1 has also been set.

Saved those changes and put the 2nd dimm back. Board power cycles two or three times, i think this is the memory training occurring but on the final reboot, same issue as before, dram led on the board is orange and no POST.

Updated to the latest bios, 2401, loaded optimized defaults and re-entered BIOS. Set the voltage, timings and XMP profile as before and powered off. Added the 2nd dimm again, but the problem persists as before.

Thanks

irishj wrote:
Hello,

Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I've set the options you recommended, with the exception of the following :

DRAM command rate - There was no 2T option, but there was a 2N option, so I chose that.

Extreme Tweaker - I don't have this tab in my bios and checked the other entries available in other tabs and don't see an option for "dram current capability".

Voltage was set to 1.4V and timings to 19/19/39/2N - XMP1 has also been set.

Saved those changes and put the 2nd dimm back. Board power cycles two or three times, i think this is the memory training occurring but on the final reboot, same issue as before, dram led on the board is orange and no POST.

Updated to the latest bios, 2401, loaded optimized defaults and re-entered BIOS. Set the voltage, timings and XMP profile as before and powered off. Added the 2nd dimm again, but the problem persists as before.

Thanks
Just looked into the bios for that board....Dram Command Rate is 2N...some boards 2T... DIGI + VRM would be where Dram Current Capability would be found...not an option nor is Extreme Tweaker for this board...do apologize....( use to the Maximus series )....Can you load the setup defaults again...this time set XMP 1...dram voltage to 1.35v....set dram frequency @ 2133mhz or 2666mhz (either will do)...see if the board will post with the 2 sticks
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

I checked the BIOS, DIGI+VRM and there is no DRAM current capability, only CPU current capability and CPU graphics current capability.

https://snag.gy/A3Zlm8.jpg

Set dram voltage to v1.35V and tried dram frequency 2133 & 2666 Mhz and same issue, dram led is orange on the board and no POST.

I also tried some other memory from another machine I have, it's running DDR4-3200Mhz and placed one dimm in the slot furthest away from CPU and no issue, the board POST'd. Put the 2nd module into the dimm slot nearest the CPU and same issue as before, board won't POST and orange dimm slot is lit. Updated to latest BIOS today and same issue. Board / BIOS has serious issues with using two dimms, it's crazy. That same memory works perfectly in my Crosshair VII Hero.

I have 3 memory kits:
Kingston HX424C15FB2K2/16 - 2x8 2400MHz on QVL - Works in dual channel (2 DIMM slots occupied)
Kingston HX434C19FBK2/32 - 2x16 3466MHz on QVL - Works only in DIMM B slot (not in A as single and not both)
Corsair CMK32GX4M2L3200C16 - 2x16 3200MHz non QVL - Works only in DIMM B slot (not in A as single and not both)

I've received a mobo with BIOS-0805. Tried everything, then I've upgraded to BIOS-2401. Also tried everything. Can't downgrade a BIOS.

All memory kits were checked in other system, and are OK.
I don't want to use "Kingston HX424C15FB2K2/16", because it is slow and low capacity kit.