cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS for R5E versus R5E/U3.1

R5Eandme
Level 12
Latest BIOS for Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 is vers 3701 (2017/06/09). Latest BIOS for Rampage V Extreme is vers 3902 (2018/04/26). I own an R5E/U3.1 and the BIOS for R5E/U3.1 is almost a year older than BIOS for R5E, so I have wondered if they are meant to be interchangeable. ASUS tech support has told me "no" they cannot be interchanged. I ask because I wonder if 3902 contains mitigation against Spectre/Meltdown while 3701 does not, and if anyone has tried installing 3902 on a R5E/U3.1? Also, are these final versions and BIOS support has ended? Things run fine now and I hesitate to mess with it, but curious all the same. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
They are identical boards and the BIOS are the same for both after 1302

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
They are identical boards and the BIOS are the same for both after 1302

Thanks Arne,

I guess I should update the BIOS though it can be risky. I read that there have been no known exploits of Spectre in the wild. I also read that the fears of much degraded performance after the microcode updates have been overblown. Just need to do it.

Thanks as always!

jorgerod
Level 7
Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 here with bios version 3902 date 03/21/2018. Installed as soon as it came out, always work fine.

jorgerod wrote:
Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 here with bios version 3902 date 03/21/2018. Installed as soon as it came out, always work fine.

Thanks very much jorgerod! This is very good to know.

BTW, I read in Maximum PC magazine that there are now about 27 variants of Spectre, so it may be impossible to fix these vulnerabilities using firmware updates. A change in CPU architecture is required. Oh well, we do what we can and don't worry about the rest.

jorgerod
Level 7
I agree! Sometimes I turn off the meltdown and spectre protections with the InSpectre program to see the difference in performance, especially NVMe SSDs.

bios 3902 ASUS Rampage V Extreme (CPU Microcodes updated)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_8mUo4DlEHPqdTw9BOU9E82CM8l4tdjk/view?usp=sharing