cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build advice for Z390 vs X299.

rog-classified
Level 9
Hi guys, need advice for build new pc. My rig died Rampage V Edition 10 with Titan Xp SLI due to a water leak 😞 . I wish to know if the Z390 boards can run RTX 2080 Ti with a multiple U.2 or M.2 and a sound card (sound card is essential) ? if its so how it might work? X8 for GPU card X4 for M.2 and X4 for sound card? what if I do SLI? can I use a sound card then? Do I have to use X299 board like ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega for me to use sound card and the GPU to run X16? What is the best CPU for gaming in X299?
If I go with Z390 I will go with 9900K with 2080ti. I can not really chose a mobo though, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme, Z390 AORUS XTREME or MSI MEG Z390 GODLIKE. Im not so in to overclocking now. This is going to be my gaming rig at home, I don`t do much work at home like video editing and such. Thanks in advance.
It ain't over till the fat lady sings :cool:...
7 REPLIES 7

Vlada011
Level 10
Best CPU strictly for gaming is i9-9900K.
But I would rather go on X299.
Maybe is not late but X Chipset is always favorite to me.
I have impression that they are more stable with less problems, but that's my impression.
Except that I'm more satisfied because after 2 years my chipset is still top of the line.
I don't want to pay 350-400$ motherboard with Z chipset and than to compare with revision for 10 months.

Except if you really need computer I would go on X299 i9-9800X/i9-9820X.
If not I would wait successor of LGA2066.
Intel prepare and some Sunny Cove Cores with bigger improvement in single threded performance.
That' mean automatic and far better total score of CPU, because single core improvement from Broadwell-E and Skylake-X 1 core vs 1 core is DISASTER.

When I upgrade Ivy Bridge with 4 cores DDR3 I was sure that next Intel CPU will not be 4 cores. People sit on my head to explain me that Z170 and i7-6770K is better than X99... funny.
Now 5 years later, I still have available CPU for my motherboard faster than Ryzen 2700X. And we had 5-6 revisions of LGA 1151.
I would never pay Z chipset again. And to be honest I don't care for 5% lower fps in games on X chipset than Z chipset.

Because you want special for gaming than
i9-9900K - Maximus XI Apex - 2x 8 GB 3600 Gskill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR or F4-3600C17D-32GTZR (2x16GB)

Vlada011
Level 10
And don't allow to people lie you, Maximux XI Apex is best LGA1151, Z390 motherboard.
You got nothing for gaming if you pay more for Extreme.
Now I saw Godlike cost 599$, they lost touch with reality.
250% overprice easy.

You ask for sound card, PCI-E sound card use x1 slot, no need to install them in big slot.
They are connected to PCH and not influence on speed of M.2 or GPU if you install them in x1 slot.
Z390 have enough PCI-E Gen 3 lanes for everything, One GPU, two M.2 and sound card.

Vlada011- Thank you for the reply. However its too late as I have already order MSI Z390 Godlike, I9 9900K and EVGA 2080 Ti FTW 3 Ultra. I know its hard to leave X99, I love the board too. For me it's a forced exist :(.
I am wondering if I can use the same DDR 4 ram I used in my old build. I have 64gb (8X8gb) ram. G.skill trident z, f4-3333c16q2-64gtzb. If use this old rum is it make the rig slower or can i use it at all. Its is for X99 and X299, at least thats what in the webpage says. One way to find out though 😄

rog-classified wrote:
Vlada011- Thank you for the reply. However its too late as I have already order MSI Z390 Godlike, I9 9900K and EVGA 2080 Ti FTW 3 Ultra. I know its hard to leave X99, I love the board too. For me it's a forced exist :(.
I am wondering if I can use the same DDR 4 ram I used in my old build. I have 64gb (8X8gb) ram. G.skill trident z, f4-3333c16q2-64gtzb. If use this old rum is it make the rig slower or can i use it at all. Its is for X99 and X299, at least thats what in the webpage says. One way to find out though 😄

I am looking to build my first pc and I question should I go with X299 or Z390 chipset. I chose the z390 and now I debate wether to get the Godlike or the Extreme. I was wondering why you chose the godlike over the Extreme?

Vlada011
Level 10
OK, you got great graphic card, but I think Apex is better than Godlike.
I hope everything will work as you plan.
Yes you can try with older memory, no warranty that will work but I hope you will reach memory specifications.
Godlike is so much overprice board that price is simply disgusting. For mainstream chipset and 6th revision of LGA 1151 over 500$ is abnormal.

Maximus XI Apex is improved board and arrive later compared to other Maximus boards and she would be mine choice.
Just in case if some problems show up in future and you don't know what to do go on Apex, not Hero, Extreme.

If you are not satisfied with GPU temperatures and after 30-35 min of gaming ambient temps increase a lot you could think to install EVGA Hybrid kit on GPU. You will have temperatures 10C higher than full cover watercooling max. EVGA make AIO kit for FTW3 Hybrid.
Gaming on up to 58C hours and hours.

I wait Sunny Cove cores HEDT Platform, 32GB quad channel or 48GB Six channel 4500MHz+, 10 cores Intel.
That would be my most expensive platform I ever build. With Rampage 7 or Rampage 8.
I hope AMD will switch to DDR5 than and force Intel to do that, PCI-E 5.0 and DDR5. I expect about 30% improvement core vs core compare to Skylake-X.

Vlada011, Thanks. After everything I will not do custom water cooling anymore. I simply do not have time for that even I love to do it. I bought the godlike for U.2 port. My SSD is u.2. I got the shipment this morning, Will install it tonight. Hope the rum can overclock to at least 3600, RVE10 didn't give me any issue for that. fingers crossed.

Up and running for a couple of days, happy to say that everything including the ram works fine. Manage to get it up to even pass the RAM 3600hz. Bench mark is surprisingly better than Titan Xp SLI. One happy customer 😮