cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I connect several RBG fans to a Maximus X?

Sverre
Level 9
I have 6 RBG fans that I would like to connect to the MB, but not sure how I should do that. The case (TT The Tower 900) does not have any ways of doing it. Can I just connect them via a 4-pin extension, will the MB be able to deliver enough power?
[/URL]
13 REPLIES 13

davemon50
Level 11
If you have a couple fans you want running in parallel (split) from a single board header (same controlling speeds, for example two fans at the top of the case or the front of the case), you could put them on the H_AMP header, which supplies extra power for more powerful fans. Then you have 3 normal fan headers on the board. That's 5. You could also use the CPU_OPT fan header, but it will be controlling along with the CPU_FAN header so probably not recommended.

You use the board's 5-pin EXT_FAN header if you want to plug in more fans at this point. It's meant to take the ROG fan extension board. You can buy one on Amazon or maybe directly from Asus, but there are a couple models of this out on the market so check to make sure you get the correct one for your board.

Your last option or at least the last option I know of is to buy yourself another 3rd party fan controller hub, which is essentially what the Asus fan extension card is. Others here on the forum might have a recommendation for you on good fan controller hubs, but I don't use one so I don't want to recommend one.
Davemon50

Sverre
Level 9
RGB as in “how do I get the MB to control the colors”. The fans have 2 4-pin connectors, 1 for the fan speed and 1 for the color. Identical connectors ie ordinary 4-pin fan connectors.
[/URL]

HERE is an example.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
HERE is an example.

I believe this is a 4 pin 12v RGB splitter only . The fans would connect to the fan headers on the MB. So fan control on MB and RGB control on this splitter outlined. The RGB splitter connects to the 4 pin 12v RGB header on the MB. I think it's a good choice too in this case 🙂

BTW they make a 4 pin Fan controller too that looks very much like the RGB splitter. looks like this.

https://www.amazon.com/XSPC-Way-PWM-Splitter-Hub/dp/B07CH1958W/ref=sr_1_40?keywords=xspc&qid=1554628...

It also would be a good way to offload your fans onto this splitter and only connect the fans to the MB that you want a custom fan curve for via AI Suite.
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer wrote:
I believe this is a 4 pin 12v RGB splitter only . The fans would connect to the fan headers on the MB. So fan control on MB and RGB control on this splitter outlined. The RGB splitter connects to the 4 pin 12v RGB header on the MB. I think it's a good choice too in this case 🙂

BTW they make a 4 pin Fan controller too that looks very much like the RGB splitter. looks like this.

https://www.amazon.com/XSPC-Way-PWM-Splitter-Hub/dp/B07CH1958W/ref=sr_1_40?keywords=xspc&qid=1554628...

It also would be a good way to offload your fans onto this splitter and only connect the fans to the MB that you want a custom fan curve for via AI Suite.

I got that, but will it fit the RGB plugs I have on my fans? They look like ordinary PWM plugs, but with the "tracks" under pin 1 and 4, not 1 and 3 as the PWM.
[/URL]

Sverre wrote:
I got that, but will it fit the RGB plugs I have on my fans? They look like ordinary PWM plugs, but with the "tracks" under pin 1 and 4, not 1 and 3 as the PWM.

Are your fans addressable RGB ? If they are addressable then you use 5v RGB Splitter.. XSPC make one of those too. In this case as I understand it, you have RGB fans with one cable standard 4pin FAN Connecter and 1 cable with RGB connectivity. They are 2 different things with 2 different circuits. They should be treated completely differently and individually.

The 4 pin fan cable will plug into your mother board no issue. The 4 pin RGB can be one of 2 types of RGB. it might have a 4 pin connector with a blocking key only allowing 3 of the 4 pins to be used. That is 5V Addressable RGB OR it has 4 pins all available for the RGB connection.. 12V RGB. 5 or 12v RGB has to be determined in this case to use the correct splitter.

Are there 3 wires or 4 wires used on those pins for RGB? Can you tell? Saying it only uses pins 1 and 4 doesn't sound like normal RGB connector. If it is anything other than what I described above, then they were designed for a proprietary connections like in the case of Corsair Fans. Corsair uses normal RGB technology BUT they use a different connector so they can keep you buying their supporting hardware such as commander pro. Proprietary products for common themes should go the way of the DO DO bird. That kind of thinking will ultimately kill the company. if there are 2 wires only connected then it was designed for supporting proprietary products to be used in it's connection. What brand of fan do you have ? I should of asked that from the beginning ?

As you can see these 4 pin plugs look the same but are different. the 5v plug has 3 wires while the 12v plug has 4 wires.

On this picture it shows a 5v RGB cable as you can tell it has 3 wires but this one shows the blocking key. Most new cables have a blocking key for the 5v RGB cable so you don't mistakenly put it into the 12V bus potentially blowing things up.
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!

davemon50
Level 11
That's a different question.

For that many fans, use a powered RGB header splitter. Make sure it's a powered splitter or you will likely overload the RGB header on your board. It's limited in amps draw, somewhere around 100 LED's but don't quote me on the exact number or amps, but 6 of those are likely too much and you'll need supplemental power.
Davemon50

Sverre
Level 9
Ok, thanks. The example doesn’t shiw the connectors. Will it take 4-pin plugs like ordinary pwm plugs?
[/URL]

davemon50
Level 11
That particular one has a SATA power connector and if you scroll through the pics on that site you'll see a 12V 4-pin RGB input to the hub, and up to 8 on the output. Check also Phanteks.
Davemon50