cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix Hero II (Model - GL504GM)

Tech_Savvy
Level 7
Hello all! I'm new to the forums, thus my first post.

I bought a ASUS ROG Strix Hero II (Model - GL504GM) Gaming laptop about 3-4 weeks ago. After using it for awhile, I noticed a few things that I'm sure if it's normal or not.

1) When I game, I always have my laptop plugged-in. I've noticed that, when plugged-in, my laptop charge goes down very slow. It don't charge it, nor does it stay steady. I will have it to about 95% before I go gaming, and when I go check the charge (About an hour later) it would be around 93%. Is that normal?

2) When I game, the power block gets so HOT, that I can't even touch it. Is that normal?

3) The laptop comes with a expansion bay for a HDD. I went out and bought a Western Digital Blue SSD for extra space. The problem is that Windows does not pick it up, or recognize it. However, if I go into my BIOS, it shows the SSD. How do I get Windows to recognize the SSD?

Any help or advice is truly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

KhuloodF
Level 9
Tech.Savvy wrote:
Hello all! I'm new to the forums, thus my first post.

I bought a ASUS ROG Strix Hero II (Model - GL504GM) Gaming laptop about 3-4 weeks ago. After using it for awhile, I noticed a few things that I'm sure if it's normal or not.

1) When I game, I always have my laptop plugged-in. I've noticed that, when plugged-in, my laptop charge goes down very slow. It don't charge it, nor does it stay steady. I will have it to about 95% before I go gaming, and when I go check the charge (About an hour later) it would be around 93%. Is that normal?

2) When I game, the power block gets so HOT, that I can't even touch it. Is that normal?

3) The laptop comes with a expansion bay for a HDD. I went out and bought a Western Digital Blue SSD for extra space. The problem is that Windows does not pick it up, or recognize it. However, if I go into my BIOS, it shows the SSD. How do I get Windows to recognize the SSD?

Any help or advice is truly appreciated.

1. Not sure about the first one, tbh I always keep mine plugged in during gaming and never pay attention to battery. Sorry...I would imagine if it's using more power (intense gaming) than coming in, it would slightly fall.

2. Again, not sure about this, I have my brick sitting on a wood surface sitting sideways so the longest parts of it are exposed to air flow. I haven't had a problem with it being so hot I couldn't touch it.

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-qTVkbgMwI 🙂

Is it normal for the battery to drain while gaming, I don't think so. It is not uncommon for ROG strix laptops.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88253-GL502VS-Battery-drain-when-gaming-(on-AC-power)
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104886-GL702VS-power-supply-adapter-charger-very-underpowe...
It happens to me sometimes not always, even playing the same game. I see the battery charging light go on when it starts to draw power from the battery. I've never touched my power supply to see how hot it gets?

The replies are very much appreciated! I emailed ASUS support about the issue of my battery draining while I game (Plugged-in). They said it's normal for a laptop with the specs I have, especially when gaming at max.