cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI Extreme(R6E) NON-Bootable Vroc

bmcbride1991
Level 7
As the title says i have the R6E would like to setup non bootable VROC i already have The Asus hyper card set in the bios as data.

Do i need to reinstall the os when the hyper card is set to vroc in bios?

i have 4 drives on the hyper card
970 pro boot drive
960 pro storage
970 pro
970 pro

I would like to use VROC with two of the 970 pros how would i go by setting this up?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

CharlieH
Level 8
Pretty sure you have to use VROC with all the drives you can't just use it on 2 of the 4. The bios setting for the hyper x16 is to split the x16 PCIE lane into 4 x4 lanes one for each PCIe NVMe SSD with VROC. Then you need to use the IRSTe driver I believe to get the VMD Controller drivers installed even if you are not using RAID. As far as re-installing the OS I am not sure you can try it w/o doing that and see but I think you might have to and if so you'll need the standalone IRSTe drivers at install time to find the PCIe NVMe SSDs to install the OS to.

bmcbride1991
Level 7
Well i ended up getting this working i have a 970 pro as a boot drive and two of the 970 pros in vroc raid 0 and then the 960 pro as an extra storage

bmcbride1991 wrote:
Well i ended up getting this working i have a 970 pro as a boot drive and two of the 970 pros in vroc raid 0 and then the 960 pro as an extra storage

Can you please post up how you did whats been thought to be impossible and deemed so by Intel as well?

BigJohnny wrote:
Can you please post up how you did whats been thought to be impossible and deemed so by Intel as well?

All ssd are on the hyper card.

I set the bios setting for vroc and started a clean install. I installed the drivers during the clean install which detected all 4 drives. Once i got windows installed i installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise and i was able to create a VROC RAID 0 Array with two of the 970s like i wanted. Might have installed the wrong IRSTe because it does give a 90 day message at the top. It also says the Array is bootable in IRSTe.

CharlieH
Level 8
The 90 day message is the kicker. In 90 days you can no longer use the RAID array. To BigJohnny's point you cannot do this. You need to use Intel drives for the RAID not Samsung to get rid of the message and not have the RAID array expire in 90 days. You are fine booting off a single Samsung drive running off a VROC VMD controller, I do that w/o any issues. But my RAID 0 array is 8 Intel 900ps installed on 2x Hyper x16 cards as a data array. I do not get the 90 message and I have been running my RAID 0 array far longer than 90 days. My Samsung boot drive is on the DIMM.2 card. So I use all 3 VROC VMD controllers on the CPU. My data array spans 2 VROC VMD controllers. My Samsung boot drive is on the third VROC VMD Controller

This is the driver I use:
http://www.smartredirect.de/redir/clickGate.php?u=CHoN7d6s&m=1&p=3r6MDbeCf4&t=6QdegMhg&st=&s=&url=ht...

It comes from this site:
https://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-newest-v-WHQL-v-WHQL.html

It is under the IRSTE section under Intel RSTe Storage Drivers & Software Set v5.5.0.2012 WHQL for Win8-10

Here are my speeds:

When using VROC OCing your CPU increases your drive access speeds. I have a custom water loop and have OCed my CPU.