cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory overclocking - Temperature, Package Power and Stability questions

boba23
Level 7
Hey guys,

put my new system together a couple of weeks ago and am still in the process of testing out the limits, here are my specs:

Asus Maximus Hero XI WifI - Latest Bios 0903
Intel i7-8700K, pretested @ 5.1ghz, delided by Caseking.de
Noctua NH-D15 Cooler, 2 Fan Setup
Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti 11G
G.Skill Trident Z DDR 4000 GTZSW 2x16GByte
2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD 1TB
Corsair HX1000i PSU

I have the CPU running stable @ 5.1ghz with LLC of 6, Adaptive VCore of +0.100. Resulting VCore under load with Prime95 1344FFT according to CPU-Z is 1.240-1.250 Volts. Temps are absolutely fine at around 64 C on the cores. This is with memory on "Auto" in Bios which results in 2133mhz.

Yesterday I started testing higher memory frequencies. I went up to 3466mhz, Memory volage at 1.35V, VCCIO and VSA at 1.1V.
Starting Prime I immediately noticed my fans being way louder, and temps are at least 7-8 degrees up above 70 C. Additionally I am looking at package power in core temp of now 150-160 Watts, compared to about 130W at 2133mhz memory speeds.

Additionally the system isn't stable at all at that memory speed, crashed after a few minutes of prime. With memory at 2133mhz I have prime now running for 5+ hours, no crash in sight.

First question about the way higher temps and much more package power ... is that normal? I read and watched a lot of current oc videos on 8700k on Asus mainboards, and this behavious was never mentioned as far as I can recall .. am I missing something in bios settings?

Thanks,

boba
2 REPLIES 2

feedmeink
Level 12
Congrats on the new system. As far as testing memory I highly recomend using RAMTEST and memtest pro for checking stability. Ramtest can also stress your cache for the cpu. I definitely would use something else to verify your overclock on the cpu first. If you haven't used it yet, try realbench stress test for 10 or 5 hours before attempting memory adjustment. These temperatures at 70c you are listing. Is this cpu package temp? Or are you refering to dram temp? Do you use hwinfo64 for monitoring?

Since you are running G.SKILL memory I would like to add to test it thoroughly with memtest at least 8 full runs, thats about 6h30min.

I had the Corsair 4500mhz kit first, and it basically could tell me straight away if it didn't like any of the settings, generally in first run of memtest it would spit out errors if something was wrong.

Now with F4-4000C17D-16GTRS it could do 5 runs stable and crash on the 6th.