cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VII Hero build from scratch memory error

snoopthulhu
Level 8
Hi, I'm doing a first time build of a system.

- ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero
- Ryzen 7 2700X CPU
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) (x2 for 32 GB)

After turning the power on, after a few seconds I get a white LED below the Q Code, and the following repeating Q codes:
de
ad

Which I am interpreting as memory errors in the DRAM. It doesn't matter which configuration I am using, 1, 2 or 4 sticks, or which sticks (ruling out a bad stick).

While the QVL list shows 3200MHz as being an option, this specific chip isn't on it, although the Corsair website says it is compatible.

Since I haven't even gotten past this point in the POST, I don't even have video yet to look at any output or BIOS. So I am kind of clueless what is really going on,or how to proceed.

(It's been quite few years since my last PC build, and the components are a lot different now (GET OFF MY LAWN!!!) 🙂 )

Help!
4 REPLIES 4

drop4205
Level 12
You are showing 2 different memory kits in description. Hope you are trying them separate from one another. Have you put one stick in a2 cleared cmos and tried to boot
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

drop4205 wrote:
You are showing 2 different memory kits in description. Hope you are trying them separate from one another. Have you put one stick in a2 cleared cmos and tried to boot

Naw, it's 4 identical sticks of 8 GB each.

But, after reading the mobo manual, the white LED is indicting that it is at the VGA check, and I don't have any VGA capable cards in it or available to me atm. Will try again shortly.

Yeah, having a VGA card in changed nothing. No output to graphics. The codes mentioned above are the same, with the white LED lit.

50 (might be SO or S0 as well)
de
ad
06 (might be 0b or Ob as well)

Any help?

Ultimately, I'm not sure what the problem was, but doing a CMOS clear got me to a state where I could (intermittently) reach the BIOS screens. At that, I then did a BIOS flash up to the latest version (2103 as of today) and it seems to have gotten much better.

On to the next problems, of memory speed and M.2 drive recognition.

If you're reading this, thanks!