cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Crosshair VII memory confusion

devdeep
Level 7
Having asked / read a lot here, I am still confused / not sure on what the best combination will be.

I have decided on:

Asus ROG Crosshair VII (wi-fi) motherboard
Ryzen 7 2700X Gen 2
Dark base Pro 900 Rev 2 case
Corsair RMx 750W PSU OR be quiet! - Straight Power 11 750 W 80+ Gold
Sapphire - Radeon RX 570 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card

I am confused on memory selection, having read various views on type/speed etc.

My broad needs are 8Gb x 2 3000Mhz (mainly for home video editing work). I am tempted to break the bank and go for 32Gb now to future proof. For 32Gb, should it be 2 x 16Gb?

Views and advise will be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

ninezerofive
Level 10
From your post I can understand that you still haven't bought any components.

Therefore I would recommend you to wait until end of May - Computex 2019, when AMD will launch new cpus with new motherboards that support PCIe 4.0

Not only new CPU's will be available but also the current ones will drop in price.

If I was building the system I would go for 3200 kit with c14 timings, looking at Crosshairs supported list, I would probably take this kit : F4-3200C14D-16GTZR

Then again it's not necessary and will add quite a bit to cost.

Overall I would recommend you that you take 2x8 GB now and then add another 2x8 GB later if you feel that capacity is lacking.

Thank you. Will 4 x 8Gb combination work or should I go for 2 x 16Gb?

devdeep wrote:
Thank you. Will 4 x 8Gb combination work or should I go for 2 x 16Gb?

Up to you really, but if you have a windowed case you probably would like to go for 4 stick to fill all those rams slots.

Whatever you chose to do, make sure the motherboard supports the ram kits first, you can find all suitable kits here:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO/HelpDesk_QVL/