cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd core temp and next steps on a Maximus IV Exterme Z

SeeTrai
Level 7
Hi all, I'm having a bit of an issue getting my rig stable with anything over 4.7. I have MIVEz with i7 2600K and 16GB (4x4) ripjawsx 1666, latest bios. If i do the standard level up to 4.6g, with XMP and LLC at 75% everything is fine... if i push above 4.7 i just can't get it stable. and by stable I mean prime95 for at least an hour and intelburntest 10 pass at very high.

2 things... i'm slightly new to overclocking the newer boards/cpus (no "clicks" in the bios and FSB). so i'm wondering what is the other options i should be adjusting. i played with vcore, cpu ratio, bclk, llc, using manual and xmp for dram settings (never oc'ing them, just kept at specs). my bsod's are always 101's, which i thought meant a vcore thing, but bumping it up and up and up and up (1 step at a time) to no avail. what's the next step or other settings to start messing with vccsa, pll? vccio, i thought would help if i were pushing the memory. I'm stumped and lost.

the other thing i noticed is that during stress tests, 1 of the core's is always 7-12 degrees (celsius) lower than the rest. a couple degrees i get but that much i would think is concerning. I also notice in prime95 one of the threads is always super slow... meaning that all other threads could be on test 4 or 5 while the one is still on the first (this is consistent even w/o OC). my gut says something is not quite right with the CPU... should i return it?

any advice or pointers in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

HiVizMan
Level 40
I take it your ram is 1866 and not 1666 🙂 What are your voltages please that would help a great deal.

And may I suggest you read a couple of the rather excellent guides that are posted in the sticky at the top of the sub-forum.

Please list your voltages, and all those BIOS settings that are not on auto.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hey HiVizMan, thanks for the quick reply!

Oops, RAM is actually 1600 (f3-12800cl9q-16gbxl). i have tried a ton of different configs, but let's start with what should be not too hard a 48 multiplier. I got 47 stable with just a bump in vcore to 1.36.

Ai overclock tuner: manual, XMP #1
Vcore: i started at 1.35 and went through in .01 increments to 1.5. 1.5
LLC: auto,75%, 100%

I have tried to keep it simple since going from 47 to 48 shouldn't require to much change. For the most part I left the bios as is and played with vcore, ai oc tuner and llc. I didn't mess with any other voltages. So assume optimized defaults with these changes.

I have read a ton of stuff, including most of the beginners/etc. guides, on both board and chipset, read many forums, and googled the ch*t out of this. A bit of info overload, as I'm just not sure which direction to go. I have spent the better part of 2 days trying things, but i'm to the point where I'm just throwing small at the wall and would rather see if i can get some direction.

I read one of your replies to another guy in which you talked about PLL override and start playing with that. That was my next thought... but i'm not sure "how" i should be tweaking that. How should I adjust these 3 things incrementally. if i can get 1.36V on 47 i would think i can get close to that and then start bumping the PLL?

Let me reboot and check out any other enabled/disabled i may have done... i'll follow up with that as well.

thanks!

SeeTrai wrote:
I have tried to keep it simple since going from 47 to 48 shouldn't require to much change.

I don't think it works that way. You get exponentially diminishing returns the more you push your CPU to its own limit.

For example, at 1.36 I get stable at 4.6 with the same cpu/mobo as you. But to get stable 4.7 I need to push to 1.42 vcore. 1.46 has given me 4.8, but I haven't yet gotten that stable past about an hour or so on the usual benchmarking suspects.

Of course there may be some tweaks you can do to squeeze 4.7 or 4.8 out. HVM can help with that (i don't understand it well enough yet).

Some CPUs just don't OC as far as others. I've seen people achieve 5.0 on their first OC attempt with 1.38 or so. While others are going to 1.61 to get it (the highest I've seen for a 5.0, I wouldn't suggest going there).

HiVizMan
Level 40
No problem mate

The thing is you just might have a CPU that will not go any further. Not saying that is the case but ....
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

so, let's assume no other changes... I have started going through it again this time in .005 increments after loading optimized defaults. I'm noticing as per RC tweakit that the voltage drops under load. i have it set at 1.38 (right now) and vcore will fluctuate between 1.349 and 1.356. so I changed the LLC to 75%. is this normal, should i even bother with the LLC at this point?

what do you think about the one core being so far different in temp under load and prime95 one thread being super slow?

thanks!

HiVizMan
Level 40
I think your mount is off slightly.

What cooler are you using?

I'm using a swiftech apogee xt with a dual 120 rad, 655 pump and nothing else currently in the loop. I'll try remounting the waterblock and see if that does it.

I almost got 48 stable with LLC at 75%, 1.38v. prime95 for an hour, intelburntest 10pass on high... but it failed on 10pass very high. so i bumped vcore three times and it got worse each time, so changed back to 1.38 and LLC up to 100%. i notice now that vcore runs at about 1.378 to 1.4 (as per RC tweakit). with 75% i wouldn't see 1.36v. what is this saying? that there is still instability at that voltage? Load temps seem to fluctuate between 68-80, which seems odd to me as well.

it seems i got 48 stable, but my guess is requiring LLC at 100% is not "healthy"? So what could i adjust? I assume PLL, if so, what's a good starting point? On auto it is nearly always 1.78 (per rc tweakit).

thanks a bunch.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Drop your CPU PLL voltage down. I use 1.55 for 5.75 GHz

ok, thanks. what vcore and LLC are you at? Are there other settings i should be progressing to? I remounted the waterblock, no difference. Also, trying to learn, so does LLC at 100% vs. 75% potentially say that the vcore isn't high enough since it is dropping too much at 75%?

much appreciated for your help