Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Harly is spot on by the way about it not being incremental after a certain point.

Three things to do and if they do not work then 4.7 is your limit with your cooling.

Enable PLL overrider.
    Experiment with your CPU PLL voltages find your sweet spot.
    Increase voltage to 1.44 and see if your system will boot. If yes work backward until it will not. Then bump up two notches and see if stable.

Temps must be your guide

LLC I do not use it at all. But that is my choice
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Thanks harly and HiVizMan. You have helped give me some direction, thanks for the advice!

HiVizMan, when you say set vcore to 1.44 and work backwards and then bump 2. what are you referring to? I'm a little confused by that line. I could boot in at 1.505v @ 50 multiplier but temps start getting in the way under stress. I have another radiator and new waterblock on the way, so that'll help with temps.

thanks again.

Hey SeeTrai thanks mate

What I mean (and obviously put rather clumsily) is determine what your upper limit for the voltage will be. Then set it. Run your stability test at that upper limit, if pass drop down one click of the minus key in the bios voltage setting. Repeat the stability test and again if pass drop the voltage by one click (notch) repeat until you fail in your stability test. Now to ensure longevity in the overclock we increase the voltage by two notches, two plus clicks in the voltage setting. That was we have a level of insurance with regard to how much voltage we have set our CPU.

It is a pretty crude but very effective way of finding the correct range for your voltages.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Nice, thanks for the detailed clarification, which settings to be bumping.

One last thing, I notice that in my 50 @ 1.5v settings, under stress the core temps will get up to early 80's and then jump down to late 60's for a bit and then back and forth. There is no frequency drop reported in cpuz but the wattage consumed drops (hwmonitor), which says to me the frequency should be dropping. I've seen Intel thermal protection kick in at other times. Is there something the asus board is doing? What am i missing?

thanks again (and again).

CPUz sees the frequency, not the work that is being done. Coretemp is recording the work that is being done, it uses the dual representations of % and temperature. So if you look at the side of the application while doing what ever it is you do to stress the CPU, you will see that some of the time the cores will not be maxed out, that is when the temps are going down, when they are maxing out they will be up.

I would not be too keen on having my temps in the 80's I must say. That is within the tolerance but makes me a tad nervous.

ROG Member Array

I agree, 80 is not where i want to be nor where i'll let it sit very long. I was looking at cpuz to see if the system in dropping the frequency. all cores were at 100% under the intelburntest so the app is doing the work. I have just never seen fluctuations like that during prime95 or intelburntest. It seemed clear that frequency was dropping since the reported times in intelburntest were slower during the drop in temp yet workload remained at 100% across all cores. Strange, thanks again man.

I would suggest that you were having thermal throttling. But as I was not present and do not have all the data I have to guess of course.

ROG Member Array

might that be the VRM over temp protection?

Yes or that but certainly what you are describing indicated that some mechanism has caused your CPU to throttle.

ROG Member Array

Thanks, cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2