cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue:rog maximus hero wifi mb

nosam1g
Level 7
Hello good day, im having a issue overclocking my ram on my maximus hero mb.. my ram was rated 4400mhz, and i enabled xmp but it does not make it passed post in either 4400 or 4200.. i can only get it to 4000mhz. i am very new to overclocking any tips can help.. my cpu is 9900k and gpu 2080ti not sure if that matters but yea my ram is the only thing ive overclocked thus far ..
i also went to asus website and downloaded abunch of the latest drivers.. update my chipset , but not sure how to update bios .. this is the command i get .This file has been renamed to M11HW.CAP. To use USB BIOS Flashback, copy M11HW.CAP to the root of your USB flash drive.

Press any key to continue . . .

Just flashed to new bios version now when i enter 4000mhz it states this
"Memory OK! succeeds in system booting! Enter BIOS setup menu and save the memory settings,
or visit ASUS website (www.asus.com) for latest BIOS version.
Press F1 to Run SETUP"

And now i cant run at 4000mhz wth im so lost

EDIT: Reverted back to 2133mhz .. just to get system to run.. then rebooted
went back into bios and turn AI Tweaker on Manual
Set it to XPM 1
Set ram to 4400mhz did not boot..
set to 4100mhz and its running .. not sure how to get to 4400mhz lol i dont want to break anything
13 REPLIES 13

Phillyflyer
Level 10
nosam1g wrote:
Hello good day, im having a issue overclocking my ram on my maximus hero mb.. my ram was rated 4400mhz, and i enabled xmp but it does not make it passed post in either 4400 or 4200.. i can only get it to 4000mhz. i am very new to overclocking any tips can help.. my cpu is 9900k and gpu 2080ti not sure if that matters but yea my ram is the only thing ive overclocked thus far ..
i also went to asus website and downloaded abunch of the latest drivers.. update my chipset , but not sure how to update bios .. this is the command i get .This file has been renamed to M11HW.CAP. To use USB BIOS Flashback, copy M11HW.CAP to the root of your USB flash drive.

Press any key to continue . . .

Just flashed to new bios version now when i enter 4000mhz it states this
"Memory OK! succeeds in system booting! Enter BIOS setup menu and save the memory settings,
or visit ASUS website (www.asus.com) for latest BIOS version.
Press F1 to Run SETUP"

And now i cant run at 4000mhz wth im so lost

EDIT: Reverted back to 2133mhz .. just to get system to run.. then rebooted
went back into bios and turn AI Tweaker on Manual
Set it to XPM 1
Set ram to 4400mhz did not boot..
set to 4100mhz and its running .. not sure how to get to 4400mhz lol i dont want to break anything

Please post the Brand / Model # of memory....there are only (3) quad 4400mhz kits that are on the Asus QVL that have been tested to work on the board....Please keep in mind that 4400mhz is not a guarantee as it does depend on the strength of the IMC within the CPU as well....you may have to manually dial in the memory and that's not guaranteed either.....Please post the voltages the XMP has set for Dram voltage..VCCIO voltage and VCCSA voltage within the bios.
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

i bought this one

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMK16GX4M2K4400C19-Vengeance-PC4-35200-Memory/dp/B07CGH2KHR/ref=asc_d...

my vccio and dram voltage both at 1.4 havent check vccsa

So as im playing cs .. i get a Blue Screen , havent encountered one of these in years but my error was

kernel_security_check_failure

just ran cc cleaner .. i saw a lot of .cab files worth of 2gb holyyy!

now i got another one apc index mismatch

oh no 😞

i got like 5 bsod and couldnt run my comp.. so i reverted back to 4kmhz not sure how to properly overclock the ram

Let me get this straight, you spent 500 on CPU, 1000 on GPU, ~350 on Ram

aaand... decided to pair it with the cheapest 4 slot ROG board out there ? False economy brother !

You had to pick up GENE or Apex for those ram frequencies, maybe even Extreme would do. Even with Gene, I had a similar corsair kit to yours, lpx c19 but 4500 mhz one and I couldn't get it to run at 4500, 4400 was the max.

This should put things in perspective :

ninezerofive wrote:
Let me get this straight, you spent 500 on CPU, 1000 on GPU, ~350 on Ram

aaand... decided to pair it with the cheapest 4 slot ROG board out there ? False economy brother !

You had to pick up GENE or Apex for those ram frequencies, maybe even Extreme would do. Even with Gene, I had a similar corsair kit to yours, lpx c19 but 4500 mhz one and I couldn't get it to run at 4500, 4400 was the max.

what are you talking about my mb was 320.. and it states DDR4- 4400mhz .. which is what my ram was rated to run at.
Theres gotta be some tweaking i need to do...

those mbs u stated are garbage .. gene is a miniatx and apex is way cheaper than what i have ur clueless

that video u posted is someones opinion on high clocked ram lmao everything u posted is irrelevant to helping overclock leave

Should have watched the video, it's not just the RAM and MOBO, the IMC on CPU has to do alot with the fact of running high speed memory.

Just because 1 of 50, 9900K can run that RAM at 4400 doesn't mean that the rest will. Buy 30 more CPU's maybe one of them will run it.

First of all people need to forget that it is "NORMAL" to run memory past 4000.

It's not NORMAL, it's MIRACLE if it can do that.

To increase this chance people buy 2 DIMM boards, GENE or APEX, they have much higher chance to run these kits.

Even GENE that I had couldn't run 4500Mhz memory that was on QVL list and should have been supported, it could only do 4400.

All right for real tho, this is the QVL for your board :

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO/ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_SERIES_Memory_...

The ram that you bought is not supported by you motherboard.

Only ram that will run at 4400 are GSKILL and only if you fill all slots and run 4 memory sticks.

Best chance to run 2 stick is for 4133 Mhz, but the timings on your ram stick are too tight, the official specs that you can run is

CL - 19-25-25-45R 1.4V

Yours run at : 19-19-19 - If you adjust the timings to CL-19-25-25 manually, you might be able to run it at 4133 but there's only 50% chance for that happening.

But that is terrible latency, what I would recommend you to do is set it 4000, set DRAM voltage to 1.4-1.5 and see what kind of timings you can actually run. It might do 17-17-17 but that's a very positive thinking.

P.S. GENE is mATX not mini itx

P.S.S. Apex is literary twice the board the Hero is.

ninezerofive wrote:
Should have watched the video, it's not just the RAM and MOBO, the IMC on CPU has to do alot with the fact of running high speed memory.

Just because 1 of 50, 9900K can run that RAM at 4400 doesn't mean that the rest will. Buy 30 more CPU's maybe one of them will run it.

First of all people need to forget that it is "NORMAL" to run memory past 4000.

It's not NORMAL, it's MIRACLE if it can do that.

To increase this chance people buy 2 DIMM boards, GENE or APEX, they have much higher chance to run these kits.

Even GENE that I had couldn't run 4500Mhz memory that was on QVL list and should have been supported, it could only do 4400.

All right for real tho, this is the QVL for your board :

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO/ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_SERIES_Memory_...

The ram that you bought is not supported by you motherboard.

Only ram that will run at 4400 are GSKILL and only if you fill all slots and run 4 memory sticks.

Best chance to run 2 stick is for 4133 Mhz, but the timings on your ram stick are too tight, the official specs that you can run is

CL - 19-25-25-45R 1.4V

Yours run at : 19-19-19 - If you adjust the timings to CL-19-25-25 manually, you might be able to run it at 4133 but there's only 50% chance for that happening.

But that is terrible latency, what I would recommend you to do is set it 4000, set DRAM voltage to 1.4-1.5 and see what kind of timings you can actually run. It might do 17-17-17 but that's a very positive thinking.

P.S. GENE is mATX not mini itx

P.S.S. Apex is literary twice the board the Hero is.

so how can u tell which memory is good for overclocking for future motherboards .. im new to overclocking
i have been able to run 4000mhz with XMP , so ill try ur timings and see if it makes post.

nosam1g wrote:
so how can u tell which memory is good for overclocking for future motherboards .. im new to overclocking
i have been able to run 4000mhz with XMP , so ill try ur timings and see if it makes post.

As a rule of thumb non-rgb rams overclock better than rgb ones.

In general I like your ram, unfortunately it's not the rams fault this time, it's the motherboard. Well I can't just blame motherboard alone it could be 80% Mobo 20%CPU fault.

I had a similar ram than your Corsair LPX only with 100 mhz more, 4500 19-19-19. Unfortunately it didn't do 4500 but I could run it at 4400 CL 17-18-18 on Gene so in my case it was the CPU that didn't allow to achieve 4500 Mhz, the IMC on it.

Next time I would advise you to check the motherboards supported RAM list first, before buying ram. The big flashy sign on the box 4400+ is quite a bit misleading.

P.S. You can try to return the RAM and get one that is supported by your motherboard. You will save some money too probably, as the 4400 I assume isn't cheap.