cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Motherboard for i9 9900k ?

Wintersun
Level 7
Hello,

I finally decided to upgrade my old system (Asus V rampage,i7 5930k) and i was wondering which asus motherboard will be better for the i9 9900k.

I was going for the Hero,but i heard it has higher vram/cpu temp because of the 4phases design and coming from the Rampage i wanted something solid to be the base of my machine.

What other alternatives there are ? Apex,code ? what do you guys think ?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: going for 5ghz-5,1ghz OC and 360 AIO Corsair for cooler.
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hi Wintersun

The Maximus XI Hero is quite capable of running a 9900k at 5.0GHz comfortably with proper cooling.

Whichever you decide, I'd definitely go z390. A step up would be the Code, a step up from that is the Formula then the Extreme and finally the Apex if you're after world records.

I'm using the Maximus IX Code and 7700k, I've been running it at 5.2GHz with a static 1.44v for two years with no issues.

1.44v is the cpu Vcore, the cpu is delidded.

mdzcpa
Level 12
Wintersun wrote:
Hello,

I finally decided to upgrade my old system (Asus V rampage,i7 5930k) and i was wondering which asus motherboard will be better for the i9 9900k.

I was going for the Hero,but i heard it has higher vram/cpu temp because of the 4phases design and coming from the Rampage i wanted something solid to be the base of my machine.

What other alternatives there are ? Apex,code ? what do you guys think ?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: going for 5ghz-5,1ghz OC and 360 AIO Corsair for cooler.

The issue with the VRM is over hyped. *The only real issue is that for the price a solid 8 phase would have been better. *But the current fat 4 phase with doubled components does just fine. *I run my 9900k at 5.1 24/7 on my hero xi and the VRMs barely get warm. *Not a worry whatsoever. *When the news broke about the 4 phase set up * A few months ago after I purchased my motherboard, I almost sent it back unopened. I’m glad I did not. The system runs awesome.**

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Gene Apex and Extreme have different VRM...rest all have the same Hero Code... etc.

Hero, Code & Formula have 4 Phase.
Extreme and Gene 5 Phase.
Apex 8 Phase.

For me the clear winner is the Apex, the price point is incredible. Assuming you live where you can get one. Here in UK it costs just 330 GBP and is cheaper than Code, Extreme, Formual.

Let's put it this way. On Formula you can cool your VRM with build in waterloop, on APEX you can take the whole VRM heatsink off and throw it away and it still be probably cooler.

Whatever you do, I advise you watch this video first, he talk about all of the mentioned motherboards :

ninezerofive wrote:
Hero, Code & Formula have 4 Phase.
Extreme and Gene 5 Phase.
Apex 8 Phase.

For me the clear winner is the Apex, the price point is incredible. Assuming you live where you can get one. Here in UK it costs just 330 GBP and is cheaper than Code, Extreme, Formual.

Let's put it this way. On Formula you can cool your VRM with build in waterloop, on APEX you can take the whole VRM heatsink off and throw it away and it still be probably cooler.

Apex is nice for max OC, but limited feature set gives me pause. *2 dimm layout not attractive for a few reasons. *Frankly all of the M11 boards overclock the 9900k just fine. That said if I was sub ambient cooling and looking for max OC, I’d get the extreme or apex.*

You have to sacrifice something no matter what board you are going to get.

Formula and Extreme are the only ones with 5G Lan.
Extreme, Gene, Apex for DIMM.2 heatsinks.
Gene and Apex for great DRAM overclocks.
Hero,Code,Formula,Extreme for 4 Ram slots.
Apex,Extreme,Gene for cooler VRM's.
Also APEX is the only board without graphics output, so you have to have GPU.

Pick you poison. For me, 2x8GB fast ram is all I need and I'm not bothered about 5G lan.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
It's worth noting that the boards with 2 RAM slots are optimised for 2 RAM sticks...the 4slot boards for 4RAM sticks...if you are going to run a 2x kit I'd get a 2slot board