cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FX504GE Intel Wireless-AC 9560 stops working with invalid driver number

TheYajrab
Level 7
Full model name under the notebook (usually next to the serial number): ASUS TUF Gaming FX504GE-E4062E

Bios version: 312

CPU: Intel i7-8750H

Memory amount in GB: 8GB

GPU: Nvidia 1050Ti

SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD

AC Adapter: Original

Operating system: Original ASUS factory image or clean install? Microsoft Activated yes/no?: Windows 10 64-bit fully activated and ASUS factory image

Drivers Installed (include version and especially any non-ASUS approved notebook drivers): 20.120.1.1

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: No

System Overclocked (provide details)?: No

Any hardware upgraded?: No

Issue (In addition to the problem description please let us know if the problems started recently and if you remember changing anything around the same time, etc.):

Brought the laptop from Currys/PCworld in the UK in October and have been noticing the problem since around December 2018. The wireless card that is installed comes up with the error now and then (seemingly randomly) stating the driver number is incorrect and the wireless card just shuts off and cannot restart the wireless card service. More often than not, a reboot will fix it but it happens again and again. I have attempted using the Intel Wireless-AC 9560 drivers provided by ASUS (version number 20.50.3.3 which is latest on the support website). I have also used Intel driver and support assistant and downloaded the generic drivers and more up to date drivers for the card with that assistant. The latest version from them which I am using now is 20.120.1.1 and still does this.

I have browsed online and some people have had similar driver problems with this wireless card but different motherboard specs and they have either said to A) update the drivers and bios or B) go into the bios and set the wireless card driver to default (This does not come up in my bios, even in advanced settings. Thought I may have misunderstood what they meant and reset my bios to default settings as a safe precaution). I have also rang ASUS tech support to attempt to figure out if they have a fix but no prevail and they would like me to send my laptop in which they said they will have to wipe my hard drives and complete reinstall (Would like to keep this as a last resort as the end of my warranty runs out in October I do believe and I don't want to have to re-apply all my settings, downloads, files and ~500GB worth of games). These are the errors I get from my event viewer:

Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.
Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz : The version number is incorrect for this driver.

The laptop does have a TPM in it and the errors from my event viewer are usually surrounded by stuff relating to secure boot with the same service that runs my wireless card so maybe something is chucking it off there (I think the TPM has something to do with secure boot, I haven't really looked into it as I have never had the need for one)? This is the event to do with that:

7017 - secure boot (SB) configuration

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

BuckTaylor100
Level 7
I’ve seen this issue a few times and it’s not an easy fix. Sometimes resetting the bios to factory solves the problem. Sometimes a BIOS update is required but from what I can see you have the latest version. Sometimes a driver update fixes the problem. Asus doesn’t usually have the latest drivers so try the latest Intel ones. The latest version is 20.120.1. Remember to also update the Bluetooth driver at the same time as they go hand in hand. The latest Intel one is 20.120.2. In one case reinstalling the OS fixed the problem and in another the adapter itself had to be replaced. The TPM (Trusted Platform Module) is a chip on the motherboard used to store keys like used for HD encryption. Microsoft’s Bitlocker encryption uses the TPM and a few other things. Unless you’re encrypting your HD I wouldn’t worry about any TPM errors. Unfortunately for this problem it’s usually trial and error. Start with the simple stuff first and then move up. An adapter replacement is the last thing I’d consider.

BuckTaylor100 wrote:
I’ve seen this issue a few times and it’s not an easy fix. Sometimes resetting the bios to factory solves the problem. Sometimes a BIOS update is required but from what I can see you have the latest version. Sometimes a driver update fixes the problem. Asus doesn’t usually have the latest drivers so try the latest Intel ones. The latest version is 20.120.1. Remember to also update the Bluetooth driver at the same time as they go hand in hand. The latest Intel one is 20.120.2. In one case reinstalling the OS fixed the problem and in another the adapter itself had to be replaced. The TPM (Trusted Platform Module) is a chip on the motherboard used to store keys like used for HD encryption. Microsoft’s Bitlocker encryption uses the TPM and a few other things. Unless you’re encrypting your HD I wouldn’t worry about any TPM errors. Unfortunately for this problem it’s usually trial and error. Start with the simple stuff first and then move up. An adapter replacement is the last thing I’d consider.

So I had a look at what drivers I have for my bluetooth adapter and they are are currently running 20.120.2.1 and my wireless is running 20.120.1.1 which is out of date and does not match the driver of the bluetooth. I will try installing the 20.120.2.1 drivers and see if that fixes it and will update on the issue accordingly.

EDIT - Just realised there is no 20.120.2.1 drivers for wifi on this card. They are both running the latest version anyway.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Thanks for the details.

Not sure how well this will work if you would rather wait for more feedback or back up before trying it to be safe, but you may want to consider the suggestion further below to install both the Intel wireless and bluetooth driver versions from the ASUS download site.
Also consider enabling Windows System Restore if you haven't and creating a restore point to rollback to if things don't work out, but in a worst case scenario this may not work if you want to prepare for this possibility.

Anyway, might be worrying a little bit too much, but if things were okay before and you haven't tried going back to the Intel wireless driver version 20.50.3.3 and Bluetooth driver version 20.50.1.2 posted on the ASUS FX504GE download site, consider trying this to compare.
If you had them installed before, you can also use the method below to find and install previously installed driver versions.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035065

Also, check your Win10 version by searching/running 'winver' from the Windows desktop.
If you are not running Win10 version 1803 or 1809, you may want to consider updating your Windows version as well as using the (older) Intel wireless and bluetooth driver versions posted on the ASUS FX504GE download site.

cl-Albert wrote:
Thanks for the details.

Not sure how well this will work if you would rather wait for more feedback or back up before trying it to be safe, but you may want to consider the suggestion further below to install both the Intel wireless and bluetooth driver versions from the ASUS download site.
Also consider enabling Windows System Restore if you haven't and creating a restore point to rollback to if things don't work out, but in a worst case scenario this may not work if you want to prepare for this possibility.

Anyway, might be worrying a little bit too much, but if things were okay before and you haven't tried going back to the Intel wireless driver version 20.50.3.3 and Bluetooth driver version 20.50.1.2 posted on the ASUS FX504GE download site, consider trying this to compare.
If you had them installed before, you can also use the method below to find and install previously installed driver versions.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035065

Also, check your Win10 version by searching/running 'winver' from the Windows desktop.
If you are not running Win10 version 1803 or 1809, you may want to consider updating your Windows version as well as using the (older) Intel wireless and bluetooth driver versions posted on the ASUS FX504GE download site.

I have currently got the latest drivers from Intel and haven't had much of a problem over the last few days but I haven't had much of a chance to get on my laptop. If these drivers fail and it starts doing it again, I will try the Asus drivers though I do believe I was using these drivers when the problem started and have reverted forwards and backwards from the Intel drivers to the Asus drivers a few times. I will keep you updated with how this problem is going though.

Just an update of what has been happening, for the past few months it has been great. No problems what so ever running the latest intel drivers for the past couple of months and then all of a sudden, out of the blue it starts failing again with the same error code 10. I have checked for any recent update and there hasn't been any for atleast 2 weeks and some reason it has just started happening today (10th of June 2019). There is obviously something faulty with this card and even with a quick google search and trying multiple steps such as reverting BIOS settings to default etc and updating/backdating drivers still does not resolve my issue. I think it is time for me to get in contact with ASUS and RMA the device and either see if they can get a new intel wireless card put in or give me my money back. It is such a shame but for a device that is supposed to just work has been nothing but problems for me, especially when I need it to just work when doing online exams etc. At the moment I am having to use my phone as a wireless card and tether the wifi from my phone to my laptop just to get on the internet which is rediculous.

TheYajrab wrote:
Just an update of what has been happening, for the past few months it has been great. No problems what so ever running the latest intel drivers for the past couple of months and then all of a sudden, out of the blue it starts failing again with the same error code 10. I have checked for any recent update and there hasn't been any for atleast 2 weeks and some reason it has just started happening today (10th of June 2019). There is obviously something faulty with this card and even with a quick google search and trying multiple steps such as reverting BIOS settings to default etc and updating/backdating drivers still does not resolve my issue. I think it is time for me to get in contact with ASUS and RMA the device and either see if they can get a new intel wireless card put in or give me my money back. It is such a shame but for a device that is supposed to just work has been nothing but problems for me, especially when I need it to just work when doing online exams etc. At the moment I am having to use my phone as a wireless card and tether the wifi from my phone to my laptop just to get on the internet which is rediculous.

I know its been a while I'm wondering if you ever got yours working. My machine is a Asus Zenbook 15' Q536F bought in late 2018
I have been fighting the Intel 9560 Code 10 issue for a while now. At first it was once and while then it was 50-50. Now its always off. I first noticed it after a windows update. So I rolled back. That did not fix it. So I restored using the full disk backup I created when I unboxed it. WiFi 9560 worked. I thought I had it. I killed updates in the registry. I suspend the computer at the end of the day. Next morning I wake it up and the WiFi card is Code 10 again. I spent a week trying everything. I reload the clean image again and the WiFi does not recover this time. I load Win 10 Enterprise so I can get some real control over this thing. On first boot it works then it goes south after that. I have clean installed the manufacturer and drivers downloaded from Intel directly. I did make sure to update the BT at the same time. in every way possible nothing. I did find when it was Code 10 and I went into the Bios and Reset to Default it would come back on. But it was only temporary. It would go code 10 while I was working or after a suspend or reboot.

I did find this a few days ago. I feel dumb for not seeing this before. I looked at the event viewer and found this. Device Manager\properties of the Wifi card.

"ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal PCI Operation Region (0x4)"

This problem has definite relationship between the BIOS and Windows. I have updated the BIOS one version at a time up to to the latest version and now I seem to be in a permanent Code 10.

Please let me know if you had any luck.

G207151 wrote:
I know its been a while I'm wondering if you ever got yours working. My machine is a Asus Zenbook 15' Q536F bought in late 2018
I have been fighting the Intel 9560 Code 10 issue for a while now. At first it was once and while then it was 50-50. Now its always off. I first noticed it after a windows update. So I rolled back. That did not fix it. So I restored using the full disk backup I created when I unboxed it. WiFi 9560 worked. I thought I had it. I killed updates in the registry. I suspend the computer at the end of the day. Next morning I wake it up and the WiFi card is Code 10 again. I spent a week trying everything. I reload the clean image again and the WiFi does not recover this time. I load Win 10 Enterprise so I can get some real control over this thing. On first boot it works then it goes south after that. I have clean installed the manufacturer and drivers downloaded from Intel directly. I did make sure to update the BT at the same time. in every way possible nothing. I did find when it was Code 10 and I went into the Bios and Reset to Default it would come back on. But it was only temporary. It would go code 10 while I was working or after a suspend or reboot.

I did find this a few days ago. I feel dumb for not seeing this before. I looked at the event viewer and found this. Device Manager\properties of the Wifi card.

"ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal PCI Operation Region (0x4)"

This problem has definite relationship between the BIOS and Windows. I have updated the BIOS one version at a time up to to the latest version and now I seem to be in a permanent Code 10.

Please let me know if you had any luck.

I had this issue on late May 2020, it seems because Windows Update that update my BT and WLAN drivers to version 21.30. This made my ROG GL503GE randomly freezing because the BT always suddenly disconnected. I posted it in here and I have contacted both Intel and ASUS. Reinstalling the Windows doesn't fixed the issues, it might because I'm using Windows Media Creation Tool for version 2004 and its BT and WLAN drivers are both set to 21.30. Using Ubuntu 20.4 didn't work too. After reinstalling both BT and WLAN drivers from the ASUS sites, the problems dissapeared, although my BT connection is not stable (the connection was really stable when using version 21.30 though).

Another thing is I also had to edit the Group Policy (since I'm using Windows 10 Pro) to disable Windows automatic drivers update to prevent the drivers update from Windows.

Ghauntret wrote:
I had this issue on late May 2020, it seems because Windows Update that update my BT and WLAN drivers to version 21.30. This made my ROG GL503GE randomly freezing because the BT always suddenly disconnected. I posted it in here and I have contacted both Intel and ASUS. Reinstalling the Windows doesn't fixed the issues, it might because I'm using Windows Media Creation Tool for version 2004 and its BT and WLAN drivers are both set to 21.30. Using Ubuntu 20.4 didn't work too. After reinstalling both BT and WLAN drivers from the ASUS sites, the problems dissapeared, although my BT connection is not stable (the connection was really stable when using version 21.30 though).

Another thing is I also had to edit the Group Policy (since I'm using Windows 10 Pro) to disable Windows automatic drivers update to prevent the drivers update from Windows.

I tried this a while back. Clean windows install with GP driver update disabled. Sometimes it would work until a suspend or reboot. It always comes back. I found It's a triggered ACPI conflict related to the power adapter.

Finally a solution ! (Cautiously Optimistic, 2 years my faith has been strained.)

Just found this this morning. I will update in a few days.

I followed the steps below and the Code 10 Dropped and the Intel 9560 came on and started working. No Reboot. I still can't believe it. have done everything I can think of to get the Code 10 to come back. I can't it just works! Before when it was working (Not often) after a hardest if I suspended, or rebooted or plugged or unplugged the ac adapter it would go into code 10. Now I can do anything and it will not.

Right Click the Wireless Adapter in the Device Manager. Choose Properties then click the Advanced tab

Change these settings. (After it came to life. I changed them back and it still works)

1) Advanced 802.11 N/AC wireless mode. - Change to use (N)
2) Mimo power safe mood - Change to Dynamic SMSP
3) Roaming Aggressiveness - Change to Medium
4) Throughput Booster - Change to Disable
5) Transmit Power - Change to Medium

6) Change to Fixed IP Address not Dynamic from the router (Manually enter IP address and default gateway and DNS) -- (I did not do this)

I don't claim to fully understand why this works. But it did.

For fun I changed all the settings back to default for fun to see if I could get the Code 10 to come back (Nope just keeps working)

--History--
I have been dealing with my Intel Wireless 9560 Error Code 10 for almost 2 years on my ASUS Zenbook Flip 15 UX562FD (See my original post above) I have tried everything I could find. Including but not limited to. Clean Factory OS install, Clean Windows 10 Pro Install, Driver Updates\Downgrades, Bios Updates. Hard Resets, Bios Defaults with no permanent fix. Every few months I google several search terms looking for anyone that might have found a fix. Intel and Asus are showing their corporates colors by not addressing the issue. What they need is a class action lawsuit. I think there are 10s of thousands of machines out there dealing with the ACPI conflict causing this issue. The Intel 9560 seems to be the leader in failing cards with this issue. I have been using a usb dongle since 2019 as my only reliable Wi-Fi connection leaving me with only one USB-A port.

Credit to hkgfadda - Win User (I cleaned up the original post and added my notes)
windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/intel-r-wireless-ac-9560-160mhz-repeatedly-crashing.373614/#Intel(R)_wireless_AC_9560_160MHz_repeatedly_crashing