cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chokes problem on apex xi

Wintersun
Level 7
Is it normal for the solder connecting chokes to the motherboard to have those cracks, is it dangerous in any way? How are they connected to the motherboard?
That's my friends motherboard, a maximus Apex xi z390

Here a pic https://i.imgur.com/5hN7S6r.jpg

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Can't see anything in that picture

Cracks would not be normal no...but I'd need to see actual cracks

Wintersun
Level 7
He can't get better close ups because he has to disassemble the waterblock and drain the custom loop in order to get them.

https://i.imgur.com/U37G9Hw.jpg

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I don't think that's a problem...not the neatest but it just looks like folded material not cracking..

The solder I'd be looking at is down the bottom (red) not that stuff at top there (yellow)...so it looks OK to me...

Any reason to suspect a problem?

Wintersun
Level 7
Yes what i was referring to was in the yellow circle, i've been looking at it quickly before installing it and it actually looked cracked not just folded material, there was also metallic material on the pcb. The thing is, i haven't experienced any voltage problem, they're stable and temps are just fine as well.
If there was an actual crack on each choke what would it imply, what kind of problems would i experience?

Wintersun wrote:
If there was an actual crack on each choke what would it imply, what kind of problems would i experience?

If there was...and I don't think there is...you could experience anything from no power to short circuits/fire, pestilence and demons

Wintersun
Level 7

That's my mofset uncovered, i see they have something similar happening there too but way less accentuated i'd say,not sure how the choke connects to the motherboard, i can tell it's not soldered below the mobo cause there are no signs on the back of the motherboard.

Thanks for your advices.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
LOL

That could be before and after they answer...for any one of us;)