cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Cards keep going Bad black screen PC Freeze in this Max XI Formula

MaLLoc
Level 8
had issues with this with another card, got a new card and same BS
First time I built this I switched over a card and the system lasted a couple of weeks before random blacking out as it got worse it was obvious the video card with every 3D startup and crash instantly, got another card and the system ran perfectly for a week and now the exact same issue is happening, nothing is Turbo or Overclocked

I'm starting to think this MotherBoard is burning up my cards somehow, in 20 years of gaming and building PC's I have never had a problem like this

the first card was a Strix RX-580-T8G , the second card is Strix RX-590
11 REPLIES 11

panzlock
Level 12
Test the power supply before you build up enough frustration to punch a random art graduate.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

tested with another PSU , literally replacing the video card everything worked perfectly for a week and then the same exact thing is happening

MaLLoc wrote:
tested with another PSU , literally replacing the video card everything worked perfectly for a week and then the same exact thing is happening
I'd be more inclined to look within the AMD Wattman software as your possible cause 1st...rather than the board...if you can get your hands on an NVidia GPU to test...that will narrow down where the issue possible is.
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Phillyflyer wrote:
I'd be more inclined to look within the AMD Wattman software as your possible cause 1st...rather than the board...if you can get your hands on an NVidia GPU to test...that will narrow down where the issue possible is.

how can the wattman be burning my cards out, also the same cards where in a previous build without an issue, and if wattman was an issue I am sure everyone with an AMD card would be burning them all out besides just me.

went to the store and got another RX580 and the machine is working normal again, while I call Asus up to RMA the card, the only thing i have changed is this new MotherBoard and the CPU and 2 Video cards with little hours on them have Broke within a week of play time.

MaLLoc wrote:
how can the wattman be burning my cards out, also the same cards where in a previous build without an issue, and if wattman was an issue I am sure everyone with an AMD card would be burning them all out besides just me.

went to the store and got another RX580 and the machine is working normal again, while I call Asus up to RMA the card, the only thing i have changed is this new MotherBoard and the CPU and 2 Video cards with little hours on them have Broke within a week of play time.
Was just throwing that out there with regards to Wattman or Adrenalin as a possible issue...Not the 1st time that software has fried a card.....Thing is...cards have been replaced a few times and the issue seems to re occur over a short period of time and not instantly.....that being said....suggest you inspect the pins on the card for any damage while also inspecting the pins within the pcie slot as well for any damage....there could be a short within the pcie on the board.....next step is testing or swapping out the power supply (which I believe you have done)….then change out the 8/6 pin cables to the card to eliminate that....all else fails...then RMA the board.
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Previous suggestions are great but also make sure the metal bracket providing the connections out the back of your case is well grounded. I have an old Cooler Master case I put spare parts in to run a home server, which has plastic clips to easily swap PCI cards in and out. However it wasn't until I had replaced several video cards that I realized it wasn't fully seating the bracket. But when I used a screw to hold down the card like most cases I haven't had a problem since! Before the video card would fail to even post.

Jan1torEarl wrote:
Previous suggestions are great but also make sure the metal bracket providing the connections out the back of your case is well grounded. I have an old Cooler Master case I put spare parts in to run a home server, which has plastic clips to easily swap PCI cards in and out. However it wasn't until I had replaced several video cards that I realized it wasn't fully seating the bracket. But when I used a screw to hold down the card like most cases I haven't had a problem since! Before the video card would fail to even post.

Good point with regards to having the card securely seated within the pcie slot...poorly seated card can result in intermittent black screens as well as a short.
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

that is a good point but I wonder how much ground it provides since the metal seems like its anodized ( but maybe its not )
well as for now im waiting on a call back from ASUS to see what they decide on doing , besides RMA of the Video card i asked them if they feel they should maybe Replace the Motherboard since its very odd that 2 cards have burned out within a week or 2 of being put into this system .

ok definitely something is wrong, took off a riser cable I had, plugged directly into the 1st slot screw was tight and burned out another brand new video card within 2 days.