cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx-bbk9 Proud Owner

MAKrog
Level 7
Hello all,

I'm now the proud new owner of a G74sx-bbk9. I'd like to thank all those on this board who so tirelessly provide support to those of us that are somewhat tech challenged or just not sure what to do when things don't seem to work the way we expect.
That being said, I've done nothing to my new G74 out of the box other than update to Windows 7 Professional, uninstall some of the bloatware, and install several programs, and so far it seems to be running great. Bios and drivers are as they came. I've experienced no problems with the keyboard, touchpad, or graphics, though I haven't run anything too rigorous yet. I work for an architectural firm and will be using this computer for Microstation ( a CADD program), Autodesk Revit, SketchUp, Twilight Render, Lumion (a real time arch-viz program), as well as Photoshop and other related graphics and presentation software. I will also be giving CryEngine3 a shot for architectural visualizations. I will update this post as I test more software and see how it runs.
6161Thanks again.
10 REPLIES 10

BrodyBoy
Level 10
MAKrog wrote:
I've experienced no problems with the keyboard, touchpad, or graphics.....

Fantastic! 🙂 The first two issues, in particular, tend to show up right away, so if you haven't seen them yet, I think you can assume you got a trouble-free unit.

'Glad you're enjoying your new machine. 🙂

Thanks Brody,

You're one of the people that has helped me put aside my fear and reservations. This is my first laptop purchase, as prior to now it was nearly impossible to find a high powered laptop that could run many of the programs I use nearly as well as a desktop. This model does have Bios 203 and a better network/wifi adapter than some other models, as well as the higher resolution screen, so that might be one of the reasons for the lack of problems so far. I hope I won't have to be on this forum too often due to problems, but it's nice to know this is such a giving community. I will, however, continue to follow other posts and contribute when possible.
Thanks.

Thanks Fostert,

My reply to Brody applies to you as well, as I have followed both of your advice to others for a while now before finally diving in and purchasing this thing of beauty. I will probably increase the ram if It becomes necessary, as it is relatively easy to do.

Thanks again.

Thanks Fostert,

My reply to Brody applies to you as well, as I have followed both of your advice to others for a while now before finally diving in and purchasing this thing of beauty. I will probably increase the ram if It becomes necessary, as it is relatively easy to do.

Thanks again.

I am as well a new owner and love this laptop my only question which I have searched for and not found is does it support a second HD. Also I didn't care for it not having a manual or anything in the box besides a quick start guide and a care sheet.

The G74 has two HDD bays, and alot of them come with two HDDs (e.g. mine came with 2x500GB HDDs), or an HDD and an SSD. The printed manual is very terse and only shows a few pages of the full version: the full version of this manual came as a pdf file on your notebook.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Thanks I thought mine was a nice 1Tb with an extra slot but after checking from your reply I see that I also have to 500 Gb drives. I must be getting old because I like it when you open the box and you had a hefty manual and not a PDF you had to search for. Thanks for the info very much appreciated.

mr2lizard wrote:
Thanks I thought mine was a nice 1Tb with an extra slot but after checking from your reply I see that I also have to 500 Gb drives.

I don't know if other manufacturers are doing this now as well, but it's common for Asus to report (in their specs) total hard disk space, rather than the actual drive configuration.

It's rather annoying.....IMHO. :mad:

fostert
Level 12
MAKrog wrote:
Hello all,

I'm now the proud new owner of a G74sx-bbk9. I'd like to thank all those on this board who so tirelessly provide support to those of us that are somewhat tech challenged or just not sure what to do when things don't seem to work the way we expect.

I work for an architectural firm and will be using this computer for Microstation ( a CADD program), Autodesk Revit, SketchUp, Twilight Render, Lumion (a real time arch-viz program), as well as Photoshop and other related graphics and presentation software. I will also be giving CryEngine3 a shot for architectural visualizations. I will update this post as I test more software and see how it runs.

Congrats on the new machine and I am very happy to hear it is working great out-of-the-box! As a user of the above power software you should know that ASUS underrates the maximum memory you can stuff into the G74: it'll actually take 32GB (see my thread on 8GB DIMMs somewhere around here...ah, here it is: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6851-G74-and-8GB-Memory-DIMMs...). I think its a good thing for you to know JIC your CAD programs are RAM hungry, and/or you run all of them at the same time. And since you updated to Win7 Professional you'll be able to address 32GB if you end up putting it in there.

Enjoy!
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40