cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX501GI - SSD slot does not support m2 drives? How is this even possible?

bluesknight25
Level 7
I recently bought an Asus Zephyrus GX501GI. I decided to upgrade my SSD with an WD 1TB M2 SSD that I had from before. Unfortunately, the laptop refused to read the m2 drive every single time. I was starting to believe the ssd slot is damaged but then tried an older 128gb PCIe SSD that I had and it worked perfectly. As such I have come to the conclusion that the SSD slot on these laptops do not accept m2 ssd's and can only use NVMe/PCIe drives. This was a big disappointment as I have no intention of buying a new NVMe just for this laptop and I will be probably returning it as there is very noticeable coil whine on top of everything else.

My housemate's Dell XPS 15 which costs approximately half the money supports both nvme/pcie and m2 drives. Is this "feature" widespread in all of the zephyrus models? or is it just GX501GI?
3 REPLIES 3

Pheebau
Level 7
bluesknight25 wrote:
I recently bought an Asus Zephyrus GX501GI. I decided to upgrade my SSD with an WD 1TB M2 SSD that I had from before. Unfortunately, the laptop refused to read the m2 drive every single time. I was starting to believe the ssd slot is damaged but then tried an older 128gb PCIe SSD that I had and it worked perfectly. As such I have come to the conclusion that the SSD slot on these laptops do not accept m2 ssd's and can only use NVMe/PCIe drives. This was a big disappointment as I have no intention of buying a new NVMe just for this laptop and I will be probably returning it as there is very noticeable coil whine on top of everything else.

My housemate's Dell XPS 15 which costs approximately half the money supports both nvme/pcie and m2 drives. Is this "feature" widespread in all of the zephyrus models? or is it just GX501GI?

From this video, you will see the owner upgraded with a 1TB M2 SSD (Samsung) drive.

I did not upgrade mine from 512GB - I have had my GX501GI for 8 months now and very happy with it.

raju2529
Level 7
some LAPTOps from asus supports both slots. that's called hybrid. some time bios has been enAbled only nvme controller.
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

Afflospark
Level 7
bluesknight25 wrote:

Hello,
As I read you face an issue with the upgrading of your SSD.
So I suggest you to first check your BIOS if there is an update to BIOS driver Then you check and put your SSD in the old slot after that check its working or not.
When I update my SSD I do the same
Hope this will help you
Thanks